Unknown (for me) protection type

Hi, everyone!

Several days ago I was asked to help with making a copy of Ross Histology CD.

Image was made and application installed from it fine, but when I try to run it with image mounted - message appears “”

Logs of protection analysers:

-=[ ProtectionID v5.2c ]=- © CdKiller & [x/xxx]
Build 12-02-2007…
> Ready
Scanning -> D:\Program Files\Ross Histology\Ross Histology.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 1603082 (018760Ah) Bytes
-> File has 1480202 (016960Ah) bytes of appended data starting at offset 01E000h
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive

• Scan Took : 0.703 Seconds

ClonyXXL v2.0.1.5:
Non/unknown protection

A-ray Skanner v2.0.2.3
[11:51:12] — File(s) Scan Finished [0.21s] —
[11:51:18] No Protection detected -> N:\Ross Histology [508E38C1]

.exe file from installed application (if needed)
http://rapidshare.com/files/62435579/Ross_Histology.zip

Main questions are:

What is this “File has 1480202 (016960Ah) bytes of appended data starting at offset 01E000h”?
and this “[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive”?

Would you help me with this problem, please?

Thank you!

Alex K.

“file has appended data…” is just information, it simply means the file has data in it, which is not within the executable image when loaded in memory…

“[!] Possible CD/DVD-Check String -> CD in the drive” means exactly that, the program may have a cd/dvd check because the string ‘CD in the drive’ was found inside the executable…

also, try scanning with pid 6.0

anyway, a quick manual look at the file you attached shows it has some sort of home brew anti emulation detection…

blacklist is…

Daemon st3shark st3wolf Stlth317 st324kj st3mp28 axvscsi sojuscsi PrecSim Copystar vbev5mp ElbyVCD OCDE LIKECDN2 vcdmpdrv USCSC108

so just a few emulators there in the list, and they’re all pretty damned old, so latest daemon tools shouldn’t have a problem with that title… it also seems to have some filenames + information in the appended data…

so, personal opinion -> protection is some homebrew stuff with blacklisting and compression from the looks of things… daemon tools /alcohol shouldn’t have a problem with this title

(and yes, i know this thread is old… )