Unknown Disc Message?

vbimport

I have the trial version of AnyDVD. Thought I’d see how it works and maybe purchase. Only thing is, no matter what blank DVD I try to use, I keep seeing the message 'Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!
What gives?::confused:

[QUOTE=baggman;2724810]I have the trial version of AnyDVD. Thought I’d see how it works and maybe purchase. Only thing is, no matter what blank DVD I try to use, I keep seeing the message 'Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!
What gives?::confused:[/QUOTE]

What A/V program do you have installed? Did you install it as Admin? That usually a signs of corrupted install or something was blocked from being installed by a A/V programs of sorts…and without AnyDVD installed does your drive detect the media in it?

That is normal behavior for AnyDVD.
I have the paid version of AnyDVD on one computer & AnyDVDHD paid on a different computer.
Both have the same reading you get on a blank DVD.

[QUOTE=baggman;2724810]I have the trial version of AnyDVD. Thought I’d see how it works and maybe purchase. Only thing is, no matter what blank DVD I try to use, I keep seeing the message 'Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!
What gives?::confused:[/QUOTE]

AnyDVD does not burn to blank DVD as you need CloneDVD2 as well for that

[QUOTE=cholla;2724814]That is normal behavior for AnyDVD.
I have the paid version of AnyDVD on one computer & AnyDVDHD paid on a different computer.
Both have the same reading you get on a blank DVD.[/QUOTE]

Have to try that again at home and see the message…I must’ve forgot to see the message… :doh:

Thanks for the replies - I have Power DVD13 on this computer and yes, the media shows up on the drive. I scanned thee download before the install, maybe I should uninstall it and start over?
Not sure what I’ve got myself into, AGJ, I didn’t know that I’d have to add something else to burn back ups to a blank dvd.

I also have CloneDVD2 as I bought the bundle.
That being said ImgBurn is free & a great burner.
The problem you will have if you rip (read) a DVD with AnyDVD to your harddrive is it will be full size with all audio tracks ,subtitles,etc. That means a dual layer DVD disk if you burn it that way .
CloneDVD2 can remove what you don’t want & compress by transcoding to a single layer size. It ia a payware though.
Many free software can do the compression.
This may get this moved to movie copy software .
DVDShrink (transcoder) ,DVDRebuilder free version (encoder) , AVStoDVD (encoder if set correctly) & I’m sure some more. Those are the ones I use.
Then burn with ImgBurn. I don’t automatically burn but two of the above can with ImgBurn.

Thanks for the info, cholla. As I had mentioned, I wanted to try the trial version with intent to purchase. Didn’t know what was needed to make this machine run. I have one of the copy software programs you mentioned (transcoder), I will look into the others.
Usually, I use a fabulous copy software program that I like, but I see no harm in expanding my options/resourses.
Thanks again, everyone.

[QUOTE=baggman;2724892]Thanks for the info, cholla. As I had mentioned, I wanted to try the trial version with intent to purchase. Didn’t know what was needed to make this machine run. I have one of the copy software programs you mentioned (transcoder), I will look into the others.
Usually, I use a fabulous copy software program that I like, but I see no harm in expanding my options/resourses.
Thanks again, everyone.[/QUOTE]

Make sure the get the LTL AnyDVD HD that will work on Bluray media. This option will be more but make sure to get it bundled to lower the price a bit. Some users bought all the packages or some bought a few together to get a discount and sometimes they have discount packages plus various discounts offers to make it less. But just makes sure they are LTL licenses. But since your still in trial get a dvd and put it in and you will see Anydvd do it’s work and give you the info status window.

I wanted to make this clear in case I didn’t.
CloneDVD2 doesn’t decrypt . It has to be used with AnyDVD on an encrypted DVD.
If you rip to a harddrive with AnyDVD only then that will already be decrypted & CloneDVD2 can work with that.
The easy way though is to have AnyDVD on & do the rip with CloneDVD2.
Let CloneDVD2 compress to DVD5 (SL) at the same time.
I always rip to a harddrive & then burn but I think this can even be done “on the fly” with CloneDVD2.

That clears up a thing or three…
Found a trial of CloneDVD ultimate 7. I assume I can use this along with the trial of AnyDVD? Will get to it soon.

Better hurry, the trial versions only last so long

[QUOTE=baggman;2724992]
Found a trial of CloneDVD ultimate 7.
I assume I can use this along with the trial of AnyDVD? [/QUOTE]

That isn’t the real CloneDVD2 It is a “knock off” trading on the name.

This is where you download the trial of CloneDVD2 & the trial policy:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

CloneDVD 2.9.3.0 2011-05-03 5065 kB

Important Note
Our products are offered as ‘try-before-you-buy’. You can try them free for 21 days in order to evaluate the software and the functions before you proceed here and actually make a purchase. If you proceed here you accept our purchase terms and SlySoft Inc. does not refund your money if you are not satisfied with our products.

AFIK since CloneDVD2 was designed to work with AnyDVD the trials also do . It has been many years since I used the trials but I have read posts that say they still work in trial.
IIRC the older versions of AnyDVD didn’t rip at all; then AnyDVD would only rip to .ISO ; now AnyDVD also rips to a harddrive in DVD format.
The limitation is AnyDVD only rips full movie . So if you burn that it has to be to a DL DVD.
As above CloneDVD2 can compress that rip from the harddrive to DVD5(SL) . It has been a while since I did that but I beleive it has to be compressed back to the harddrive & then written (burned) to a DVD (SL).
The easy way it to let CloneDVD2 do the rip to DVD5 (SL) to the harddrive from the commercial DVD with AnyDVD on . If you want to burn to a DVD (SL) . AnyDVD still needs to decrypt the DVD & it will let you know when it has done that. The tray fox is either gray or dimmed red when doing this. It turns to full red when done. If you have the baloon popups on it will also use those.
If I get some time I will do a test to see if I can do an “on the fly” rip & burn . [B]Not that I recommend ever doing it that way.[/B] I will post the result.

I did an “on the fly” copy to a DVD +RW & it worked correctly.
So CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD has this ability for those in a hurry.
Still not my recommendation.

Thanks for the heads up, and also for the link. I plan to try it out today.