University reporting students using P2P software to police

vbimport

University reporting students using P2P software to police.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/11/K671O4.jpg[/newsimage]Several college campuses across the United States have taken a hardened stance on student piracy this year due to new legislation, but one Georgia university has taken their crackdown a bit further than the rest. In fact, some may say they’re taking it too far.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/university-reporting-students-using-p2p-software-to-police-36509/](http://www.myce.com/news/university-reporting-students-using-p2p-software-to-police-36509/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Mrrica, land of the free?

I for one support the action :iagree:
The police force will be overwhelmed with these cases, and eventually ignore them. If not, the government will start handing enforcement cost invoices to the industry.

At any rate, the police will be issuing fines, not content companies with a pack of bulldog lawyers.

What a stupid initiative.

Firstly its a civil issue not criminal unless under certain circumstances.

If I went to the police here and said a relative of mine had downloaded a song via Bit torrent, here is the evidence, they would probably charge me with wasting police time.

At the very least they would angrily tell me to get lost.

What the heck is this university thinking???

I should have known if they ever built a college in Georgia it would be an RIAA sting operation *LOL

If I went to that school I would get everyone to download Linux distros via P2P, then the school would have to report everyone, and no one would be doing anything illegal… It would create an interesting scenario. BTW doesn’t the school rely on the tuition paid by the students they are turning in? And isn’t that why ISP’s object to turning in their customers who may use P2P?

I know :wink:
I’m sure students are already working on it :wink:
I foresee alot of giant distribution email lists in emails with “New Linux Distro version released … click [B][I][U]here[/U][/I][/B] to download the ISO via torrent” …

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2558023]BTW doesn’t the school rely on the tuition paid by the students they are turning in? And isn’t that why ISP’s object to turning in their customers who may use P2P?[/QUOTE]
I’d suggest that if any particular ISP’s could properly determine whether any user was [I][U]actually [/U][/I]infringing content with any reasonable degree of accuracy, they’d have given the the user warnings & kicked them off the network already. It’s generally in the ISP’s User Agreement that you won’t use their network for illegal activities.

People leeching content across the ISP’s infrastructure are a burden to the ISP’s infrastructure anyway, and cost the ISP $$$. The ISP wouldn’t shed any tears to kick off leeches, as it’s after the “Old granny that downloads 1MB per year checking her email” segment which is extremely profitable :iagree:

And in addition, the RIAA/MPAA storming in and demanding the ISP provide details to sue their customers is a breach of privacy, and there’s no telling what sort of accuracy the RIAA/MPAA detection & logging system actually has … especially given their grossly inflated figures for loss of revenue … and the ISP would shed customers like a dog shedding winter hair, not to mention the class action lawsuits, if they rolled over and did whatever the RIAA/MPAA demanded.