University fires teacher for blog post

vbimport

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/topstories/university_fires_teacher_for_blog_post

Not the best move by the professor, but whatever… :sad:

His job is to grade students. Not to administer public humiliation as he sees fit. He overstepped his authority, IMO.

Lol … SHAMED :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not his University. He’s an employee, he willfully violated a policy, and got terminated for it. That could happen at any job. Further, it is privileged information so he broke the law. They were justified in terminating him if for no other reason, than to protect themselves from liability for breaking the law.

RANDOMOUS
He was fired because,the students said they were
following the lessons taught to them by MR. PAGERISM
himself.
ZAP:bigsmile::bigsmile:
P.S Also remember what our hero said F.D.R. had
to make sure he looked good on television.

From a comment in the link

They (the adult plagiarists) consented to releasing their identities by signing up for the class and receiving the syllabus beforehand. They could have signed out. I think the teacher has a good case in court.
I dont know how things work in US universities, but if you have to sign for taking a subject, and you have the possibility of choosing another one instead, maybe this statement holds some truth (?)

There seems to be two separate issues. I’m no legal expert, but in the US, you cannot sign away legal protections. If law gives you certain rights, they cannot be taken away by contract. So the question is, does the University (or the teacher) have the right to require you make your grades public in order to take the class? If it is a privacy law, then I suspect that it’s intent is to give you the right to keep these record private. If you have the right to keep this information private, then you cannot legally be required to sign consent to release the records (its an illegal contract). The law does provide provisions where records can be released without consent so that aspect of it is covered.
The second part of the issue regards what the schools policy was. If the schools policy was that the records were private, then he violated policy and could be terminated for that alone, regardless of the legal restrictions on releasing the records. His only way out of that would be to show in court that the policy was illegal. I seriously doubt that a policy backed by law would be found to be illegal. Its not the first time a teacher has gone against policy and the law in the US, and like what has happened in the past, the teacher will loose. Thats just my loose interpretation of it anyway. Like I said, I’m no legal expert.

Texas A&M is a world-class establishment, but they slipped up if they really sanctioned that agreement in the syllabus. I bet they didn’t actually know about it.

Presumably though they do have the means for independent disciplinary hearings prior to sanctioning students who break the rules?