University Degree

vbimport

Just wondering, what kind of degree you would need to take to be qualified in computer hardware such as dvd technology and computer graphics, cpu etc.

Of course it would be some kind of engineering but would it be electronic or what?

Originally posted by DLid
[B]Just wondering, what kind of degree you would need to take to be qualified in computer hardware such as dvd technology and computer graphics, cpu etc.

Of course it would be some kind of engineering but would it be electronic or what? [/B]

Yep.You would need either degree in electronic engineering or a degree in computer science.I say it would depend on what you want to know.The electronic side would cover components(how to make,what material to use etc)where the computer science side covers programing(firmware,BIOS etc)

Either way,which ever one you do you need to learn the other in some way.

Well if this influences your choice at all the people i know reading electronic engineering, find it much harder and a lot more work than computer science. From memory i think first year computer scientists have about 18hours lectures/labs a week, and electronic engineers have about 26.:rolleyes:

In Germany/Chemnitz, where I study, computer scientists have only 18h-20h / week in the first year, but don’t forget that we have, lets say, more interesting tests, such as “Algorithmen und Programmierung”, which usually 20%-25% of all candidates pass (you need 50% score to pass it…)

it would actually be computer engineering, which, is practically the same thing as electrical engineering. here, there is a 5 hour difference in requirements. theoretically, i could take all the courses for a computer engineering degree, and graduate with an electrical engineering one. go figure :stuck_out_tongue:

here :

www.ece.uiuc.edu

check that out - its not M.I.T, but i think its number 2 :wink:

here are some courses links:

http://www.ece.uiuc.edu/courses/
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/education/courses/index.html

i’d tell you more, but i’m half-assed studying for a calc test today.

I have just finished my first year in Computer Science and had about +20hours including labs and lectures and stuff. Didnt do a great deal of work but still managed to get a 1st.

I was just curious as I have been looking at my modules for next year and we dont really cover much Hardware if any at all.

In the first year of Computer Science I did the basic CPU etc etc but we only briefly discussed it.