Universities cracking down on file sharing

vbimport

I just posted the article Universities cracking down on file sharing.

Universities in the United States are cautioning students against the legal dangers of file sharing after the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) began tossing around lawsuits.
Many…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15044-Universities-cracking-down-on-file-sharing.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15044-Universities-cracking-down-on-file-sharing.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

People just dont get it.When I was a kid(long time ago) we used to record music from a radio on to a cassette tape.Now there is no doubt that the quality was inferior to the real thing but its still piracy.
THe real money for the artist these days is in concerts.People paying hundreds to see the real thing.Most have no problem plonking down up to 200 dollars(whatever) to see their favourite artist live but they hate paying for music downloads.Some are willing-but most wont if there is a way to get it for free.There is always someone out there trying it on and no matter how hard they try people are continue to do it.

I agree with ‘hanjack’, above, plus there are now anonymous services (www.torrentfreedom.com is what I use) that allow you still copy without much likelyhood of getting caught. The record companies will have to move to a model where the live show is the cash flow, and ripping are just the adverts.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Most bands want their music heard whether it’s legal or not. Applying that logic to this situation brings about a not-so-surprising revelation. Regardless of what they claim, the RIAA is not sueing to protect artists rights, their sueing because more illegal downloading means they make less money. It’s not about rights, it’s about greed. They want extremely hugely massive amounts of money and refuse to settle for just hugely massive.

Similar logic applies to movies. Good doctors don’t get paid millions per cure, so why should good actors get paid millions per movie? It’s one thing to get paid alot because you’re a good actor, but when alot is several million per movie, that’s greed. If actors weren’t so overpaid, movie pirating would be less of a problem. Having said that, does paying for all this legal action and drm and everything actually help them make more, or just spend more? When new DVD protection comes out, cracks are out within days, so why bother? As the saying goes: if you can’t beat them, join them.

–Rikki