Universal increases royalties on legally downloaded music

I just posted the article Universal increases royalties on legally downloaded music.

jab1981 was kind enough to point us to an article on Yahoo! News about the Universal Music Group increasing the royalties it pays artists on downloaded music.

Universal, home to Sheryl…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4689-Universal-increases-royalties-on-legally-downloaded-music.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4689-Universal-increases-royalties-on-legally-downloaded-music.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Why don’t they just listen to the consumer ,Scrap This idea, Put Prices Down on cd,Then every happy. oh Almost forgot(get rit of riaa).:d

Let the artists and their production companies fight to the bitter end…consumers can then stomp the survivors…:7

I think the good view from this article (and the reason I sent it in) is that the evil greedy RIAA is actually giving up quite a bit of profit to the artists which is where the money belongs in my opinion.

I think to a certain extent the RIAA is just screwed and it doesn’t matter what they do or how they do it. A lot of people aren’t gonna buy CD’s if music can be downloaded for free, and also, a lot of people aren’t going to pay to download music that they can download for free. Like I’ve said before, no one downloads music because of it’s crappy quality, or there’s no other way to get it. They just download it because they don’t have to pay for it.

no artists no music

I download music because I don’t want my money going to the RIAA. My money goes to the EFF and other worthwhile organizations… My morals say that when you have a brat it is OK to punish him by not giving him any candy. Giving a brat candy when he asks for it makes a bigger brat. We aren’t here to steal, we’re here to punish. Gotta love it that multimillionaire-skill-free-socially-degrading artists like Britney Spears and Eminem are going to become “poor” because of the evil average Joe. F*ck 'em all I say.

Additionally, its great that the artist is getting a bigger piece of the pie. Thats great news, and in the right direction, but not enough. The artist is what sells, the industry is the conduit. When you sell your car through a car dealer, you get the higher %. Not the car dealer. my $3000 car gets the dealer a $300 comission, not the other way around.

what do all you’s feel is the problem with the music and vid industricy and what would be the best way to CONQUER those?:slight_smile:

As my Mom always said “put the seat down, dammit”… Everyone knows that artists only really make money by concert sales (with all that merchandising crap), the record companies via record sales. Proof you say? Look at the the Rolling Sones, they could just do studio albums but they know and understand that the real money is in concerts.

I don’t even download music for free, so why would I want to pay for downloading??? :wink: