Unistall internal cd dvd burner in laptop

I would like to know if anyone could tell me, how to uninstall the cd dvd burner in my Averatec series 5400? It is a laptop model # 5428HX. I have
been having trouble with it lately, and will soon have a replacement, but
don’t know how to get it out, or if I have to do anything else once the new
one is installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you want to pm me you can.

Thanks WT:confused:

Uninstall it in devicemanager.

Sorry I meant physically remove it from the laptop, I want to replace the
faulty burner, that’s in there now. It’s an Averatec laptop, model 5428HX.
Series 5400.

Thanks to anyone who can help!:confused:

WT

Laptop DVD drives tend to be very specific (something about hardware/BIOS compatibiltiy), so you’ll probably have to replace it with an identical unit; contact the laptop manufacturer for a recommended replacement.

As for physically installing it, that depends on your technical comfort level. If you’re happy to pick up a screwdriver and start dismantling, then keep going until you get access to the drive! Construction varies enormously from model to model, but google can usually turn up a walkthrough for a similar model or just to point in the right direction. If you’re not that confident then take it to a professional.

If you decide to DIY then be v. careful with the delicate ribbon cables and their connectors as damaging them can be expensive.

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=midders;2233306]Laptop DVD drives tend to be very specific (something about hardware/BIOS compatibiltiy), so you’ll probably have to replace it with an identical unit; contact the laptop manufacturer for a recommended replacement.

As for physically installing it, that depends on your technical comfort level. If you’re happy to pick up a screwdriver and start dismantling, then keep going until you get access to the drive! Construction varies enormously from model to model, but google can usually turn up a walkthrough for a similar model or just to point in the right direction. If you’re not that confident then take it to a professional.

If you decide to DIY then be v. careful with the delicate ribbon cables and their connectors as damaging them can be expensive.

Sláinte

midders[/QUOTE]

Thanks for trying to help, but I’ve scourred the net trying to find photos
or instructions, to dismantle for my model, but to no avail. The company
Averatec, was bought out by Trigem, and I’ve tried to get through to them
for help, with no luck! The computer has performed flawlessly for as long,
as I’ve had it except for the cd dvd burner.

WT

You could try looking at disassembly guides for other laptops to give you an idea, but the first time I did it, I just picked up a screwdriver and started unscrewing things! As long as you make a note of where everything goes, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Start by turning laptop upside down and removing the battery, and any covers for RAM, HDD etc. to reveal any hidden case screws…

You should be able to find a suitable replacement via the model number of the drive in device manager, or off the physical unit once you get to it.

Good luck

Sláinte

midders
P.S. a digital camera can be quite useful to take snapshots as you dismantle.
P.P.S. alternatively, get a USB external combo drive; cheaper and generally better quality drives than the internal ones.

Just my opinion. I would not try to do this yourself. Googled replacement of my gateway dvd drive and it scared me away from any DIY.

my Averatec 6240 is a rebadged MSI.

you can use one of the tools from these guys to figure out what you need.

some are set as master, slave or c/s, just like other periperals.

try these guys for parts
http://www.ultradrives.com/product_info.php/products_id/1179

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/337-23736-3240/LITE-ON-SOSW-852S-DVD-RW-Writer---Bare-.html

and here is the tech tools
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html

and try n find ur drive here
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12235

good luck