Uninstall Office97 Problem

How can Office97 be uninstalled from Win2k SP4 PC? Google search results I found said there should be option to “uninstall all” using the CD when Office97 is selected to be removed using Add/Remove Programs, but it starts the install again when that’s done with no option to uninstall. Does anyone know how to fix this problem and uninstall Office97?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2295848]How can Office97 be uninstalled from Win2k SP4 PC? Google search results I found said there should be option to “uninstall all” using the CD when Office97 is selected to be removed using Add/Remove Programs, but it starts the install again when that’s done with no option to uninstall. Does anyone know how to fix this problem and uninstall Office97?[/QUOTE]

Google is you best friend you know. I did a simple search and found two links from M$ that tells you how to remove or unistall Office 97.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176823

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158658

As stated in my original post no Remove All option is given when setup is run, and it just starts the install again when setup is run from CD. The http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176823 link from post #2 says it’s to be run after Office97 is removed which is no use because Office97 can’t be removed. Actually my original post said “uninstall all” where it should say “remove all.” I found both those links, and neither helps to enable removal of Office97. Google is no best friend when results found don’t resolve the problem.

you do know there where other beside those two links I posted right? Or where those the only two links you looked at? One must do a little searching to find a solution. We can’t do others homework for them…

I searched pages and pages of results and found no solution. I don’t expect others to do my homework but was hoping somebody may have had the problem and found a solution which is how most problems are eventually solved and show up on Google or somewhere else.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254250/ does not help?

Since especially older versions of MS Office apply heavy changes to the OS, the removal might get harder especially if some Windows and Office updates were installed.

In that case, you should consider formatting the drive and reinstall Windows.

Michael

That link doesn’t help because there is no Remove All option given when setup is run as stated in my post #3. However, a solution was finally found at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/orkXP/HA011362891033.aspx. Leave it to Microsoft to screw up things so badly it takes a removal wizard from another version to remove the version you want to remove. Lol!

While I’m usually the first to be critical of Microsoft’s products, I do find it funny that you are criticizing a 12 year old product. Not sure what you expected, you should know that things are a bit quirky when dealing with products no longer supported.

Now you know why my OEM copy of MS Word is lying in my drawer - untouched. :bigsmile:

I have used software older than that, but it was able to be uninstalled very simply and straight forward as I’d expect any program to be. Note also the solutions from Microsoft in the links in post #2 and post #6 is all bad info for my Office97 at least. Maybe there were different releases of Office97 of which the solution from those links work for some releases, or Microsoft is deliberately posting bogus solution info otherwise. I really wish there were a decent alternative to Microsoft products so I could dump Microsoft altogether, but unfortunately that’s not the case.

Open Office is free and pretty good

Open Office was tried, but it doesn’t do what’s needed. I have a xls template that has a place to click “Create xml file” after info is filled in the template, but clicking it does nothing with Open Office installed. Clicking “Create xml file” in the template gives error “Compile error: Sub or function not defined” with Excel97 installed.

The only way I’ve got it to create the xml file is by borrowing a friend’s laptop with Office2003 on it. That’s why I was removing Office97 because it was becoming to limited for my needs, and I plan to get a later Office version.

Since uninstalling Office97, every time I try to open a document or Power Point file it tries to open it from Office97 giving error message that it can’t find the Office97 file it needs. I have to right click the file, select “Open With” and choose Wordpad for documents or PowerPointViewer for Power Point files. Before the install and uninstall of Office97 I was able to open such files simply by double clicking the file. Is there a way to restore the ability to have WordPad and PowerPointViewer to open such files by double clicking instead having to right click, select “Open With” and select the correct application?

Open explorer, Tools, Folder Options,File Types

Pick the file type and re associate it with the program you want.

There’s a very long list there under file types making it difficult to find what’s needed to change, but I finally figured an easier way to fix the problem for both file types. Just right click a file, click properties and click the “Change” tab just to the right of where it says “Opens with.” This changes the “Opens with” default to what you select which will remain the same for all files of that type until it’s changed again.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2298903]There’s a very long list there under file types making it difficult to find what’s needed to change, but I finally figured an easier way to fix the problem for both file types. Just right click a file, click properties and click the “Change” tab just to the right of where it says “Opens with.” This changes the “Opens with” default to what you select which will remain the same for all files of that type until it’s changed again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah That works also :iagree:
The easy way :slight_smile: