Unhappy with my new processor

vbimport

I just upgraded my old pc components from an athlon64 2.6gig, to a amd x4/3.0gig/945. My mobo is a gigabyte MA785GM-US2H. My mem is kingston/ddr2/2gigs. My dvd writer is an HP dvd1260i/sata/24x. PWS is a 430watt. My hdd’s are kina old(back from around 04-05). I am running XP pro. I thought I would get mucho fast speed. This all feels like my old comp setup. the bios doesn’t see my dvd drive as a sata(have to use native ide). Just seems like I wasted $390.00 on all these components. Any thoughts anyone? Many thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

A lot of a computers “snappiness” or doing things quickly is a function of the hard drive speed. Since you are using the same drives as with your old computer, it makes sense that it feels the same.

Where you will see a massive improvement in performance will be with applications that can utilize all 4 cores. But opening programs and starting the computer up taxes the hard drives more than anything else.

For your next upgrade :doh: get a SSD drive and windows 7, you can keep your old HDD for storage. :cool:

Thanks gents, but what could be the reason for the bios not seeing my sata dvd writer as a sata, instead of as a native ide? When I set it in the bios as a sata, it’s not listed as a piece of hardware. Only when it listed as an ide does it show up in hardware during post. It also don’t show up in my computer as a sata in windows.

[QUOTE=VengeFulHemi;2505313]Thanks gents, but what could be the reason for the bios not seeing my sata dvd writer as a sata, instead of as a native ide? When I set it in the bios as a sata, it’s not listed as a piece of hardware. Only when it listed as an ide does it show up in hardware during post. It also don’t show up in my computer as a sata in windows.[/QUOTE]

Did you update your Bios as well?? My Win7 sees my dvd burner as ATAPI as a SCSI drive. So I think you might want to see if your drive and bios has firmware updates to see if that fixes the problem. So what does the device manager say exactly on the properties for that drive? That would give a better idea of what the O/S sees attached to the sata connector. Also what version of XP pro are you running being more specific here would also help.

Its not a problem if it see it as an IDE drive, it will not affect its performance.

My old 9600 quad core doesn’t really seem faster when doing normal surfing and booting up and like that either. But when recoding videos or playing a game that supports all the cores it’s about twice as fast as my old 4600 dual core was. It’s too bad all the new boards seem to be removing all the extra SATA and IDE ports I used to have with my older board, I went from 2 IDE and 8 SATA to 1 IDE and 6 SATA with a extra ESATA port on the back.
I have a stacker full tower and love to stuff it with every drive I own and that’s getting harder to do now:a
My drives show up as either ATA or SCSI depending on how they are hooked up in win 7 and everything works fine so far. When I had a extra SATA card those showed up as SCSI I’m pretty sure.

Why should there be any noticeable difference? Core frequency is quite similar and your usual desktop apps doesn’t utilize quad core.
//Danne