Undetectable MacDefender varient hits hours after Apple patch

vbimport

Undetectable MacDefender varient hits hours after Apple patch.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/06/UBqRE1.jpg[/newsimage]For well over a decade, Apple has been nearly immune to this malware cat and mouse game, but with the recent emergence of MacDefender fake antivirus and a number of copycats infecting the systems of unsuspecting Mac owners, the company has now suddenly found itself playing out of necessity. And Apple’s first round of security patches to protect users didn’t hold up for long.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/undetectable-macdefender-varient-hits-hours-after-apple-patch-46014/](http://www.myce.com/news/undetectable-macdefender-varient-hits-hours-after-apple-patch-46014/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If it is undetectable, how do they know it exists? I would think that if it does anything that can be noticed (ie install something), it has at that time been detected.

[QUOTE=RichMan;2590768]If it is undetectable, how do they know it exists? I would think that if it does anything that can be noticed (ie install something), it has at that time been detected.[/QUOTE]
It’s undetectable by Apple’s latest security update detections… The user can detect it alright, as it is super annoying and tries to fool the user into purchasing a “license” to steal their money.

And Apple bragged for such a long time as being immune to virus attacks, HA! They just weren’t a big enough fish to bother with but now they are. Apple welcome to world of “Personal Computing”!

So true SciFer…
I just priced a top of the line imac/i7 and all the goodys=$3200+after tax!
Then I priced the parts individually and realized thay dont even give you the fastest
i7/or Radeon HD Graphics??? Total parts=$865.00 That would leave $2335.00 for OS X Snow Leopard…
All that money and still can’t play Call of Duty:Black Ops/ Modern Warfare 2 without windows 7 Bootcamp…

Oh wait - this is just PEBCAK.
The user has to approve the installation of that malware actively and he must enter the superuser password. Not a problem of the OS.

I guess, these users should rather stick with vtechcomputers. :cool:

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2590822]
I just priced a top of the line imac/i7 and all the goodys=$3200+after tax!
Then I priced the parts individually and realized thay dont even give you the fastest
i7/or Radeon HD Graphics??? Total parts=$865.00 That would leave $2335.00 for OS X Snow Leopard…[/quote]have you taken into consideration that this is an all-in-one design with a top-notch TFT display? Have you also taken intoi consideration, that this computer is using mobile components?
Seems you have just compared a top specced Mercedes E-Class with a Ford Crown Victoria :bigsmile:

All that money and still can’t play Call of Duty:Black Ops/ Modern Warfare 2 without windows 7 Bootcamp…
That’s the fault of the software manufacturers who do not want to develop an Apple port of their software.

Michael

Michael, Are you talking about the glossy highly reflective display that allows me to see myself and the people behind me while Im surfing the web? Yea thats definitely worth the extra $2335.00
As for the Mercedes vs Ford…not a good comparison becouse both can take you where you need to go!!!Unlike a mac that is 100 percent incompatible of even backing out the driveway! Sure you can edit video and surf the web upload videos to youtube…But I like knowing my PC is 100 percent compatible with real world stuff, not what apple chooses for me…
P.S. Blaming the software engineers for apples incompatibility only works in the apple orchard.

Seems you have just compared a top specced Mercedes E-Class with a Ford Crown Victoria

Yeah my crown vic with 2TB HD, 16GB ram, wireless Logitech KB, USB3, and a 26" matte screen set me back just over a Kilo Buck…And it even plays Flash videos…

[QUOTE=AIRBUD7;2590871]Michael, Are you talking about the glossy highly reflective display that allows me to see myself and the people behind me while Im surfing the web? Yea thats definitely worth the extra $2335.00 [/quote]Admitted, Glossy screens are evil - but still, this is a top class display. Compare it with a Dell UltraSharp U2711 or similar.

As for the Mercedes vs Ford…not a good comparison becouse both can take you where you need to go!!!
Matches perfectly. Both bring you where you want to. Perhaps you might have to use different methods of driving.

But I like knowing my PC is 100 percent compatible with real world stuff, not what apple chooses for me…

What is real world stuff? “Games made for Windows”? :disagree:

P.S. Blaming the software engineers for apples incompatibility only works in the apple orchard.
This is nonsense. I could also bash Windows for not having a central update and software management for OS and applications. :cool:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2590886]Yeah my crown vic with 2TB HD, 16GB ram, wireless Logitech KB, USB3, and a 26" matte screen set me back just over a Kilo Buck…And it even plays Flash videos…[/QUOTE]And your monitor is a 2560x1440 IPS display? :stuck_out_tongue:

Michael
P.S.: I don’t have any Apple stuff, and I don’t wnat some. But I don’t like unjustified bashing.

Michael, I have a large family and we like to get together and have a LAN party twice a month, Its soooo much fun, I think it really keeps our family close. Our Favorite Games are MW2, Black Ops and Far Cry 2…None of this stuff Im talking about is compatible with a Mac!!!Our Monitors are 2-Samsung 46" 1080p LED HDTV’s -1-Sony 42" LCD and 2-Toshiba 40" LCD TV’s all are 1080p (FullHD)…I have less money in all these monitors than the cost of 1 imac!!! Our slowest PC is mine/e8500, HD 4890, windows 7-Our fastest is my sons new (self built)/Core i7-2600/GTX 580 windows 7(trust me, they dont make a mac this fast) So if you still think all PC users drive Fords, While Imac is a Mercedes then you my friend have been brainwashed by Apple… slogan “It just works,” ←Funny Stuff!

Not quite. only 1920X1080.

FYI, Apple do not make their own screens, they used to be mostly LGs back in 2009, and then they moved to Samsung and started taking some more from Toshiba and Sharp and others, so basically, what you have is probably an overpriced Samsung which EVERYONE else has at home, and please don’t brag about “colours” or “clarity” as it has nothing to do with the real world, I’ve been working in the graphic design in printing fields for over 13 years using MACs and Win PCs, and it’s ALWAYS an issue when it comes to matching Apple’s colours to prints, if you really care about colours and a “Top Class Display”, then you migt be interested to check Eizo http://www.eizo.com/global/, which sells for LESS than the same size Apple screens here in the UAE market…

Matches perfectly. Both bring you where you want to. Perhaps you might have to use different methods of driving.

I kind of agree with that, but then you too must notice that the Mercedes you’re driving is a 1954 model which has a nice polish, while the Ford Crown is a full option 2012 model… Apple ALWAYS lags behind when it comes to hardware, currently they’re using 1.5 years old graphics cards as their “top notch” cards for the Mac Pro, and brother, I’ve used every single Mac since the G3, and believe me, since 2005 they started falling in a downward spiral to hell when it comes to their choice of specs, now I’m upgrading my Mac Pro 1.4 and I’ll have to stick with a triple-priced ATI RADEON HD-5770… Can you answer me where are the HD-6xxx series?!

What is real world stuff? “Games made for Windows”? :disagree:

not only games, simply EVERYTHING YOU NEED… If you have less interests or needs to worry about in life then you’ll be fine with a Mac, for me, I need to have hands on every single aspect of my hardware and software, that’s why I chose an HP laptop with Win7 for my personal stuff. At work, we had to stick with Macs because they “look more professional” and cause someone still believes that they are the “Standard” for graphic design… even though they’re giving us a unique PITA, just ask the IT dept… I had to replace 3 different Macs in less than 6 months with two of them having HDD damage and the third ending up with an unbootable HDD… Maybe I shouldn’t have installed Songbird and stuck to Itunes… Maybe that wouldn’t have happened :p!! and when it comes to programs, We’re using Adobe Design Premium CS4, and the same programs are performing on my 2.5 years old HP better than the “higher specs” of the Mac Pro 1.4 I’m using, and the number of crashes happeneing on ALL of the Macs in our studio is astonishing… While my lappy never crasehd (as well as any of the Win PCs in my brother’s agency) with the same adobe CS4 setup… blame the programmers? I’d blame the system :\

This is nonsense. I could also bash Windows for not having a central update and software management for OS and applications. :cool:

It does, it’s called “Windows Update”, and it keeps you up to date with daily and weekly updates about all your Microsoft products, maybe you haven’t checked windows since Win98, I won’t blame you for that…
But if you really want the central update for “ALL” OS and applications, then you’re talking about Linux, I’ll recommend you try Mandriva :wink:

And your monitor is a 2560x1440 IPS display? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hint: Try Eizo.
in another note, yes, I had a Philips CRT 22" with 2048x1536 resolution 4 years ago, it can easily beat any Apple screen esp. when it comes to colours, brightness, contrast and surface reflectivity… The amount of money we saved when we got that Philips instead of an Apple screen was used to get a better graphics card… so what’s your point?

P.S. I’ve been working as graphic designer, network admin and an IT expert and maintenance engineer for over 10 years, I’ve dealt with DOS, Win, Mac and Linux, and have an obsession of finding out the truth behind rebadged devices, maybe you’ll need to take a closer look at what you really have behind all this shiney glass and alumnium Apple is selling to you, for me, the only device I would recommend from Apple would be the Ipod touch, but even that has been easily beaten by my Acer Liquid Android as a music player…

[QUOTE=headquarter84;2591445]FYI, Apple do not make their own screens, [/quote]Like most other “brands” also. No discussion needed about that.

My point was, that comparing a special product like an iMac (remember, it’s an all-in-one) with a custom made PC built from standard components and complaining about the huge price difference, is not fair.

Compare such an iMac with an aio from Sony with similar specs, and you’ll find only unsignificant price differences.

For those few who have nothing else but MS products installed.

But if you really want the central update for “ALL” OS and applications, then you’re talking about Linux,
Indeed, I was thinking of Linux, when I wrote the statement above.

Hint: Try Eizo.
As already mentioned: it does not matter. The talk was about an all-in-one system from Apple (applies to other aios also). No choice about the monitor.
Professional users have different requirements and would order systems (hard- and software!) that fits their requirements at best. The do do not discuss Apple vs. MS vs. XYZ, they compare the capabilities of the tools that work best for them.

Michael