UnderStanding Quality Bar?

vbimport

Ok, I have Johnson Family Vacation. This is a Double sided disk, on 1 side is WideScreen and other is full screen. Movie is only 1:36 long. What I am confused about, on the WideScreen side if I have only just the main movie the percent is at 67%, while on the full screen side, it is @ 100%, movie is the same length in time. I don’t understand, Please Explain if anyone can.

Does it have more than one angle for the wide screen version? Just pick the first one.

@ Strachan

WideScreen side if I have only just the main movie the percent is at 67%

I only pick 1 thing

Widescreen includes more information so the vobs will be bigger and need some compression.

Taroth

Thats the only thing I can see, is that the widescreen needs more infomation, but I can’t see it needing that much more info.

Does it have a DTS soundtrack as well? They take a lot of space.

yea but why would there be more DTS information on the widescreen then the full screen, when the movie is the same length of time?

I am looking at the quality bar before I go into the sound and subtitle’s

It may be 4:3 version with AC3 audio and 16:9 version with DTS audio, or perhaps the 16:9 version has many languages (English, French, German etc.). What does the quality bar say after you have selected just one soundtrack for each version?

They are all the same with DTS and Dolby on both Widescreen and Full.

This is where you’re mistaken - there is a fair amount more information for a widescreen version.

Think of it this way - a 4:3 movie on a W/S TV in 4:3 mode (so’s not to distort the sizes/shapes of things) will have black bars at left & right. A W/S movie will be exactly the same, PLUS will fill those bars at left & right for every frame of the movie. I have seen DTS tracks take 15-20% of a movie’s capacity, & video requires more data than any sound track (before compression, of course), so it is not so hard to believe, is it?

PLUS will fill those bars at left & right for every frame of the movie

Are you saying that the black bars is the reason for more data, because of every frame that is made?

The encoding bitrate of two different video streams may vary heavily (usually they are encoded between ~3MBit and 8MBit). While transcoding/remuxing the bitrate graph probably shows a noticable difference.

No. I’m saying that the area where these black bars are at the left & right while watching a 4:3 movie on a widescreen TV in 4:3 mode is filled with extra movie width for a 16:9 version, thereby needing more data.

I have a 106cm (42") widescreen TV - it’s actual width is approx. 92cm (36"). Now, while watching in 4:3 mode, the width is only 69cm (27"), with 2 bars left & right of 11.5cm each (4.5"), or 23cm (9") total. That equates to about one-quarter of the total screen’s size for the left & right areas. So you could say that about a quarter of the total video information for a widescreen movie would be above & beyond the 4:3 version. Or, alternatively, you could say that the 4:3 version would only need about three-quarters of the data as the W/S version (video only).

That is a significant enough amount to certainly affect the quality bar to a noticeable degree, no?