Understanding audio cd files

Hi,
I really need help. I have 3 or 4 audio cds and would like to take some songs from one and some from another and put them on my hard drive. And then either just play them from my hd or make another cd with all my favorites on it. Now when I open any cd all I can find are files called track1, track2 etc. which all have the size of 1 kb. I have found that copying these to my hard drive is not the way to go. Someone please help if possible. I have tried searching forums, but have had no luck.
I don’t really think I know what to ask for, except moving files.
Thanks

Ray

You need to “rip” the content of Audio CDs to your harddrive. Many programs can rip Audio CDs including some free ones like Exact Audio Copy.

The normal uncompressed format for ripped Audio CD tracks i the WAV format, but you can also rip in lossless compressed formats such as APE or FLAC with some programs or in lossy formats such as MP3 or WMA.

[I]Lossless[/I] means that you can convert back to original format without any loss of information or quality - every bit will be identical.

[I]Lossy[/I] means that the conversion throws away some information in order to save space while attempting to maintain as much quality as possible at the chosen compression level.