Undeletable files on HD partition.. can't run defrag :S

Heya!

It’s already a while ago that I found one of my partitions had some weird directory on it… I could rename it and so i did, but couldn’t delete it or whatsoever. Figuring it would be windows related and protected, i let it at that. However, since then i’ve ran some reinstallations and dos bootups, and whatever i tried can’t delete the stuff!!

It’s on my f-drive, windows is on c… i got no clue how it came there… it’s a folder (i renamed it ‘shit’) which i can access, in it there are some other folders:

download
ip
lang
new
update

but none of THOSE i can access :S if i try delete it says i can’t…
well still not much of a problem, until i wanted to defragment my HD the other nigth cause it’s getting slow… it simply won’t defrag, says a bunch of files can’t be moved… so all remains scattered and crap. I have a hunch it’s related to this stuff… can’t see any other reasons why the files couldn’t be moved.

Anybody who has a clue what this can be and how to get rid of it?
I’ve formatted all partitions in NTFS so a bootup in DOS isn’t any good, it can’t read the drives…

any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
It’s by far the biggest volume and contains quite a bit of stuff i’d rather not lose, otherwise i’d have tried a format already… :frowning:

It’s the wrong forum for your problem so it will be moved later
by a moderator, I think :wink:

Now to your problem:

1. You could try to boot into Safe Mode. Maybe the files/folders aren’t locked then.

2. You could install a 2nd NTFS capable operating system on another partition,
    just a minimum install. And then try to delete the stuff from the new 2nd OS.

3. Or, if you are familar with Linux:
    http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Good luck!

Andy :smiley:

If you right-click on the directory in Explorer you can see its attributes. If it’s read-only, unclick the read-only box. You may then be able to delete it.

:S

well they are read only, but if i untag and click apply, i still can’t access or delete them. In fact, when i check properties again, they’re still (or again) read only =/

nice eh?
any ideas?

Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Windows XP with NTFS support bootdisk there. With that disk you can boot to dos, access your harddrives and get rid of the directories!

Moved to the hardware forum.

These things can also be virus or trojan related, as well as file-system errors. Running CHKDISC is a very good idea, after you have fully scanned for nasty things.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Moved to the hardware forum.

Thanks! Guess what, this thread was crossposted in the recording hardware forum.

@TePeL: I deleted your other post and merged the answers with this thread. Please don’t crosspost anymore, we’re not to fond of that!

Guess what, this thread was crossposted in the recording hardware forum

:cop: busted!

I have a much easier idea.

Just delete the folder from a DOS prompt.

Start > Run > cmd > Navigate your way so that you can see the folder (cd F:\ , dir) > remdir shit

That should work just fine.

If not, try creating a different user account with admin privileges. Log in as the new ID and try and delete it from there, first from Windows, then from a DOS prompt.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]I have a much easier idea.

Just delete the folder from a DOS prompt.

Start > Run > cmd > Navigate your way so that you can see the folder (cd F:\ , dir) > remdir shit

That should work just fine.
[/B]

Hmmm I experienced this problem numermous times, but the cmd wouldn’t let me delete the dirs either (I always assumed this was because of Windows protecting me from doing so). But of course, it’s worth to give a try :slight_smile:

Hmmm. I have used it to delete files but not directories so perhaps you are right.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Moved to the hardware forum.

These things can also be virus or trojan related, as well as file-system errors. Running CHKDISC is a very good idea, after you have fully scanned for nasty things. [/B]

It’s CHKDSK BTW:D

aight ima check all those suggestions, cheers guys!

Sorry bout the crosspost, thing is i simply didn’t know where this belongs… HD = hardware, but the directories = software? :confused:

And after posting it late night one day and checkign back the other, no replies and i actually doubted my decision to post it there, thinking it should be elsewhere…

ah well dun matter, i apologise, no harm intended. Hope i can sort it out tho!
Cheerz, will let u guys know!

hm what bootdisk do i need? What i found is sumfin that needs 6 floppies :S

The chkdsc i did plenty of times btw, that doesn’t fix nething. And i got F-Secure antivirus with latest updates running, so shouldn’t be a problem there either? Unless it doesn’t recognise if there’s a problem with a folder :S

I tried with the ntfs recovery utility, when i use that i can see that there are even more subdirs under the ones in the ‘shit’ folder… normally i can’t see cuz i get access denied. However with that util i can’t delete, only copy :S

Using the winxp sp1 pro boot disk i get a 6 floppy boot thing that in fact looks like the mere winxp bootcd rom… in that case i can just use the boot cd but then i won’t b able to access the drives and delete stuff either, or?

so basically i still donno what to do :frowning:
Only thing i haven’t tried now is to install a parrallel ntfs thing… what should i take for that? another winxp installation?

If i try safe mode the dirs are still ‘access denied’ :frowning:
bah

Originally posted by TePeL
[B]hm what bootdisk do i need? What i found is sumfin that needs 6 floppies :S

The chkdsc i did plenty of times btw, that doesn’t fix nething. And i got F-Secure antivirus with latest updates running, so shouldn’t be a problem there either? Unless it doesn’t recognise if there’s a problem with a folder :S [/B]

Like I suggested above, have you tried from a DOS prompt in Windows yet?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Windows XP with NTFS support bootdisk there. With that disk you can boot to dos, access your harddrives and get rid of the directories!

use that with ‘deltree’ command name in pure dos environment .

Originally posted by Ssseth
Like I suggested above, have you tried from a DOS prompt in Windows yet?

Yes i have, no success, ‘access denied’

I’m sorry but i don’t see the winXP with NTFS support bootdisk download… got a direct link?

TePel, take a peek at this site
http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

cheerz will try!
Tho if that’s the same program as on the www.bootdisk.com site, it can read and copy but not delete :frowning:

but thumbs crossed :smiley:

Originally posted by Airhead
TePel, take a peek at this site
http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

that’s a great program but problem is it won’t let me delete files, unless i’ve missed something… copy, unerase, etcetc… but not a simple delete option :frowning:

dang this is pissing me off!! I don’t remember how the stuff came there, might actually have been a virus… i’ve reinstalled windows a couple times since, but just can’t seem to get rid of it!! :a