Unbranded TY vs. Sony/Fuji/TDK/Panasonic/Plextor/Verbatim TY

vbimport

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve noticed in a lot of the negative comments that people have made around the net about TY media, that there seems to be some kind of general consensus that most of the issues have to do with unbranded TY, but TY that is or was produced for Panasonic, Plextor, Fuji, TDK, Verbatim (EU), and especially Sony, doesn’t necessarily have the same issues.

For example, when people talk about TY having bonding problems, they also generally say that Sony TYs don’t exhibit the problem to the same degree.

Is there an explanation for this? Why is the branded media better? Do companies such as Sony provide or rather enforce an extra layer of quality control which is absent otherwise?

Also, in terms of quality, is the TY media that is branded essentially the equivalent of Premium Grade TY? Do you ever find branded TYs that are the no better than Value Line disks?

Lastly, when critiquing TY media, is there any difference between Premium and Value Line for anything other than general burning quality? In other words, is it possible that most of the issues with TY media are something that only afflict the Value Line, whereas the Premium Grade is less susceptible to them? Do Premium and Value Line TYs have equal problem areas? If not, do the people who test and comment on media quality and longevity make a distinction, or do they just lump it all together?

I guess what I’m really asking is, are all TYs created equal, or are some better than others?

You’ll probably get a lot of different opinions on this one. Plextor TY is the best because they get the first discs from a new stamper, TDK leaves its media out in the sun before shipping to let water evaporate so they can save on shipping charges, etc. :slight_smile:

My $.02: I haven’t noticed anything to differentiate the quality/performance of the premium TY DVD+Rs you buy from Rima/ACCA and rebrands offered by Samsung, Fuji, Sony, etc. DQ and TRT scans look about the same, and I don’t see any differences in durability or aging characteristics. I actually buy up rebranded TY DVD+Rs whenever I encounter them because I like having lines on my media for Sharpie labeling.

As for your Premium Vs. Value Line question, I dunno. I’ve never knowingly purchased Value Line Taiyo Yuden. So no opinion on that.

Official,all retail branded media point to be the best TY quality you can buy.
Unfofficial quality also vary depends on batch or reputation of importer or brand for each market.

I’ve found it to be just the opposite. The worst TY I have ever dealt with was Fuji rebranded TY (bought 3 50 packs in a row that all had spotting in the discs). I’ve always had excellent results with the unbranded stuff. I think part of it has to do with the fact that value line would fall under the unbranded category and I don’t know if every one makes that distinction between the two (at least from other sites on the net). If you think about it though, in theory the unbranded TY should be the best since it has been handled the least. As for having a difference between value line and the premium discs. . .ABSOLUTELY!!! My average total PIF on my unbranded premium TYG02 is under 500. My average total PIF on my value line TYG02 discs is about 1500. I think the highest PIF that I have seen on a premium TYG02 disc is about 800 PIF. My highest PIF on the value line was just shy of 5000 and it isn’t uncommon for me to see PIF in the 2-4K range on the value line. Hence the reason why I no longer buy the value line discs (that and I don’t want to run the risk of getting TYG03). All of these discs in both premium and value line varieties were either burned at 8x or 12x. As for the other brands, I really can’t comment on any except JVC rebranded TYG02 (which were all of excellent quality). I have had such rotten luck with store rebrands on single layer DVD-R, that I won’t buy them any more (3 50 packs of defetive Fuji discs and 6 15 packs of defective 4x MIJ Maxell discs). All had spotting in the dye of one form or another and every few discs had someone’s grubby fingerprints all over them. That and finding rebranded TY in stores these days (at least here in the US) is proving to be difficult.

I’m planning on doing a little test on this very subject. I have recently added some Panasonic TYG02 (non-printable, gold-colored) and unbranded TYG02 hub printable to my media collection, and have placed an order for what I hope will be Maxell-branded TYG02 under the “Maxell Plus” label, and will do a little comparison of burn quality. I’m pretty sure if there are any differences it can simply be chalked up to batch variances and nothing to do with the brand. Then again, looking at some Japanese DVD testing sites, where TY is branded by various companies, it seems that TYG02 under the Victor and Sony brands consistently give some pretty amazing results. I may have to order a spindle from Akibang.

I see quite a few sub-par TY scans around here. I’ve only had the pleasure of using Panasonic branded TYG02 (why only in 5 packs~?!) and Sony branded YUDEN000 T02. The Panasonic is amazing. I got a 7/1 PIF total/max on one of them. The Sony stuff is nearly as good with my best being a 19/1 PIF total/max. I never get above 300/2 PIF total/max. This branded media seems to have been sitting on the shelves in the back for about three years, but it’s still amazing.

I’m running low on TY right now, and I’m hesitant to buy the unbranded stuff. I know the Circuit City near me still has one more 50 ct. MIJ cake box of Sony’s that I hid in the back, waiting for me to buy them when I can scrounge up the cash. :slight_smile:

I stopped by Kmart on the way home from work today because they’ve been having some killer in-store specials on older-looking DVD stock. Picked up 9 25-pc spindles of MIJ Sony AccuCORE 1x-8x DVD+R’s @ $5.99 each. The one I opened contained YUDEN000-T02-000. I’ve only burned two blanks so far, but they seem okay for T02. PIF totals below 150, jitter below 9%, but the weird Sony pearl finish without lines for writing on.

I should probably go back tonight. There were 5 more spindles, but I didn’t pick them up the first time around because they had some weird looking promo insert. That was my reasoning, but I was just afraid I’d get stuck with 14 spindles of some weird non-TY MID rather than just 9. :slight_smile:

MIJ SONY D11 is very good media as well :wink:

Some brands do have extra quality controle. But bonding is a tricky issue which seems to go unnoticed through quality controle in most cases.
So how bad is the bonding problem. Well that’s really tricky. Sometimes you can encounter total crap batches and sometimes perfect batches but most times the stuff is inbetween.
I had very bad luck with my FUJI TY’s however keep in mind that most of these were also from the same production run. So one bad run for one brand can immediatly make that brand look worse.

Is there an explanation for this? Why is the branded media better? Do companies such as Sony provide or rather enforce an extra layer of quality control which is absent otherwise?

Like I said some brands have own quality controle and some brands let bonding problems fall under there waranty. While normal TY and other brands do not replace disc’s with bonding problems.

Also, in terms of quality, is the TY media that is branded essentially the equivalent of Premium Grade TY? Do you ever find branded TYs that are the no better than Value Line disks?

Tricky question which I can not asnwer.
Let me say this there are brands who sell Value Line disc’s.

Lastly, when critiquing TY media, is there any difference between Premium and Value Line for anything other than general burning quality? In other words, is it possible that most of the issues with TY media are something that only afflict the Value Line, whereas the Premium Grade is less susceptible to them? Do Premium and Value Line TYs have equal problem areas? If not, do the people who test and comment on media quality and longevity make a distinction, or do they just lump it all together?

Again tricky. While it is true that valueline is downrated media which was rated lower for some reason. There are some points which seem to be not on TY’s quality controle radar and for that reason can nicely mess arround in any way.

I guess what I’m really asking is, are all TYs created equal, or are some better than others?

some are better as others. But isn’t that with all disc’s so ???

Speaking as someone who deals with literally millions of Taiyo Yuden unbranded Premium and Value Line products, I can quite easily say that yes the quality of their unbranded product is going downhill. Unfortunately, it’s hard to convince people to pay the extra price for the Maxell Plus Series product, which is now all Taiyo Yuden but seems to perform better then the unbranded, and consistantly so.

Unfortunately, when I send in comments and complaints to Microboards, the largest worldwide distributor of Taiyo Yuden products outside of a retail brand name, they inform me that I’m the only one complaining, that they have found no such problems, that people complaining on the internet are mostly making the problems up and that I can’t believe everything I read on the internet (they unwittingly said this about posts I made personally as well), and that since their sales are only going up, they don’t believe there is any real issue.

And since Taiyo Yuden requires the jaws of life to even get someone to give you any kind of decent answer or information, until Microboards is convinced there is an issue, it is likely nothing will be resolved.

So that being said, I try to use as much Verbatim as possible now, since I’m sick of TY and Microboards’ attitude.

I haven’t had anything like the amount of TY media that e.g. Dolphinius_Rex has, but I have tried prying apart some different TY media, and they have had variable bonding strength.

The best I have tested have been Fujifilm 8x DVD+R (I’m not 100% sure about lot but probably TG001133) which were completely impossible to pry apart even with a screwdriver - the polycarbonate broke apart and still the layers didn’t separate.

Some other Fujis were average and one was a little easier than most DVD media to pry apart.

Only a few of the DVDs I ave tried prying apart with my bare hands have actually come apart - most only come apart when I use a knife, screwdriver or other tool.

So I can’t say I have noticed that TY DVD media has worse bonding in general than other DVDs.

Posted By Dolphinius_Rex
it’s hard to convince people to pay the extra price for the Maxell Plus Series

I have never seen these for sales in the USA, is there a Website that I can order them from?

http://www.taperesources.com/DISCS/DVD-R_/_DVD-RW/DVD-R_THERMAL_OR_EVEREST_PRINTABLE/MAXELL_635078_DVD-RSS_PLUS_SERIES_SILVER_THERMAL_HUB_PRNT_8x/Page_1/VRBTH-M8.html

http://www.polylinecorp.com/productlist.asp?OPT=070051500100000600&W=0

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6582&A=details&Q=&sku=427949&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Canadian:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12740AC2758&vpn=635062&manufacture=MAXELL

Are you sure they’re $5.99 and not $6.99? The K-Mart circular says $6.99.

Also, MIJ +R Sony’s are almost (notice I said almost) always TYs, especially if you see an octagonal spacer on top, but that’s not required.

You can also use that price to get a PM at Staples or Sears, where they also still carry older TY stock in 25-packs. Sears mostly has 50-packs of TYs, but I’ve seen 25-packs of TYs very recently at Staples.

You got me to check my receipt…

02724264647 25PK DVDR 9 @ 1/6.99 A 62.91

Damn, you’re right. Still a good deal, but I’ve lost that warm fuzzy feeling. :doh: :slight_smile:

BTW, these 25pc spindles don’t have any spacer on the top. You must live in a more civilized place than I do if your Staples carries anything but Memorex DVDs. The one by my house only has Memorex and the Verbatim movie-reel looking TYs.

Okay, I’m ready for my little comparison. I have on hand Panasonic non-printable TYG02, Maxell Plus hub printable TYG02, and unbranded hub printable TYG02. The first set of scans are of burns done by my PX-760SA, firmware 1.06. All burns were done at 8x speed with AutoStrategy set to Automatic.

1. Panasonic TYG02 (GG000239)
  2. Unbranded TYG02 (GG007009)
  3. Maxell TYG02 (GG000244)

Next up are burns done with my Pioneer 111D@A11XL, firmware 1.29. Shown are scans of the burns done with the Panasonic and Maxell-branded TYG02. The scans for the burn done on the unbranded TYG02 can be found here.

I just placed an order with Polyline for a 50ct. cakebox of the Maxell Plus Series TYG02. It was about $33 after S&H. It’s more than double Rima’s price per disc, so I hope it’s worth it. Thanks.

Thanks for posting your results. I admit I didn’t expect to see such variation in your scans. Did you purchase these media around the same time?

Yes, all within the span of about two weeks.