Unable to record to DVD, copyright protected

vbimport

Hello All,

I record alot of the televised NHL games to DVD using my DVR and Sony DVD/VCR combo. I noticed some of the networks now have copyright protection during their broadcasts, so I am unable to dub anything from some channels-onto DVD. When I try to record, I get a pop up window on my tv screen, saying “unable to record. Copyright protection.” This is new for Fox Sports. Currently, I can still record games on CBC and NHL Network.

Are they broadcasting some kind signal to prevent recording?

If you know, what kind of hardware can I obtain to bypass this? Some kind of descrambler?

Not computer software, but something that I can plug in-line with by cable box or Sony DVD/VCR combo to enable me to do this?

I have a 2 year old Sony DVD/VCR combo, and I have Comcast digital cable as my provider.

Thanks.

Welcome colt seavers. Unfortunately, you’ve hit the nail on the head. There is a flag that essentially says ‘do not record’. More Info. I believe compliance with the flag is voluntary. There are some ‘black boxes’ that can be inserted in line that appear to re-stabalize the video. One such is available from a company with the unlikely name ‘Grex’.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2452267]Welcome colt seavers. Unfortunately, you’ve hit the nail on the head. There is a flag that essentially says ‘do not record’. More Info. I believe compliance with the flag is voluntary. There are some ‘black boxes’ that can be inserted in line that appear to re-stabalize the video. One such is available from a company with the unlikely name ‘Grex’.[/QUOTE]

I’m not familair with all of the terminolgy.

Basically, will this Grex product work for me?

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

Can anyone else who has bought the product verify it truly does work?

Hi Colt Seavers - did you ever get help with your question? I’m in the same situation now with baseball games. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks,
Paul

[QUOTE=ptalari;2508615]Hi Colt Seavers - did you ever get help with your question? I’m in the same situation now with baseball games. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks,
Paul[/QUOTE]

Hey Paul,

I purchased this product:

Works great, with no problems. Easy to use, It ships from Israel, so it takes about 2-3 weeks. Price is around $80. Good luck, and let me know how it works for ya.

Great, thanks for letting me know. Can’t get it in the states, huh? I’ll take your word for it that it works well then, I’m very interested.
Thanks!
Paul

It may be purchased in the states. The link in post #5 has a US flag at top of the page, and click on it takes you to link to buy in the states. Alternatively just click the “Order Now” tab on the main page.

Thanks, but I emailed the company and they confirmed they only ship from Israel. And the US Flag at the top of the link is just if you want to see the site in english, as the other flags do the same for the other languages.

I appreciate the help!
Paul

You wont need such a extra device with an good and reliable receiver…

Its just the question where the content comes from.

[B]for chef[/B] - not sure what you mean, are you talking about the receiver/DVR that was supplied by Directv? And what do you mean, where the content comes from? You mean the source that I’m trying to record. Please explain.

thanks,
Paul

Yeah, what is the source? ATSC, cable, sat, ???

the source is satellite, from directv. fox sports channels, all of them.

Hi Colt Seavers - do you have a working phone number, email address, something that I can use to contact DIMAX in Israel? I ordered the unit, but have not heard back from them, my money was taken out from my paypal account, and their 2 email addresses on the website keep getting rejected. I don’t want to feel like I’ve been ripped off…

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Paul

AFAIK, you will not be able to record that stuff directly in digitally form, you can record it ususally either analogue or by digitalYanalogue>digital conversion, eg. connecting a HDD/dvd recorder at the receivers output connector(s).

chef is correct even if you have a DVD recorder with a component Y input it will still be analog.Though this is capable of supporting HD.
I didn’t check but your Sony most likely doesn’t have this kind of input few do.
You will probably have a hard time even finding one that does.
So the S-Video will probably be the best the Grex can do for the OP or ptalari .
People should contact Dimax Grex & reguest they manufacture a HDMI unit.
Of course I have no idea what type of problems Dimax would run into getting rights to do that.Much less even ship it to the USA.I look at even what they ship now being stopped by the MPAA.
@ptalari , For the time it takes to recieve the shipment if I remember correctly it took about 4 weeks for delivery. I did send an e-mail to dimax with a question .I will post if they respond.I just sent it this morning.

[QUOTE=cholla;2510720]I did send an e-mail to dimax with a question .I will post if they respond.I just sent it this morning.[/QUOTE]

I received a response from a question to Dimax.
this was the question:
When removing the broadcast flags from a digital HD signal with the Grex is
the output to the recording unit still digital HD ?
This is the answer:
Hi,
Grex can not be connected to HD at all. The reason is simple your
recorder can not accept HD as well.
This is the 'Reply" address given:
dimax.support@xdimax.com <dimax.support@xdimax.com>
However under :Properties/Details/Message source this is the sender:
Sender: dimax.support@gmail.com
So if the first one doesn’t work the second one might.
The Dimax site had a different one for "Order and Availability Questions "
I didn’t try it but the address is :
order@xdimax.com
hope this helps

This is some more information I have found:
Most likely the DVD recorder you have will only have a composite & maybe S-Video input. Both these will have a limitation of 480i for input. That being said it is still better if your source is 480p or better.That gives more data before being turned back into 480i.
I read some posts by a user I beleive is myce member jamescooley1 on another forum.
The user name was slightly different if I’m correct he is quite knowlegeable on this subject.I hope he will post some more info on this.

After reading about the DIMAX on this site, I ordered it. The Paypal payment was transacted the next day, and it took about 2 weeks to arrive registered mail (I had to sign for it) from Isreal. How long since you ordered it?

Jay Badenhoop

[QUOTE=colt seavers;2508853]I purchased this product:

Works great, with no problems. Easy to use, It ships from Israel, so it takes about 2-3 weeks. Price is around $80. Good luck, and let me know how it works for ya.[/QUOTE]

I ordered it without any problem. I hooked up the DIMAX and found that indeed it negates the broadcast flag on all channels. The down side is that a very faint but noticeable vertical light stripe floats through the picture left to right every few seconds. Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps it is a small price to pay, but I’d like to know if it is a malfunction.

Jay Badenhoop

I haven’t needed to use mine recently I’ll try to check in the next few days.
It might help to know what source you are using that has broadcast flags .
The reason I haven’t been using the Dimax for this is I haven’t had anything with broadcast flags lately.
I used it most for VHS to DVD copying.