Unable to read original DVD

I use a Plextor PX-712A firmware 1.07. When I insert Kicking and Screaming in the Plextor, the amber light just blinks twice and my computer says no media is inserted.

The movie is playable on my DVD player no problem and I’m able to read other DVD movies from the Plextor. I thought that maybe the Plextor has issues with reading dual layer disks (which support was added with 1.03 firmware), but I inserted Tears of the Sun and Man on Fire (other dual layer) and it read no problem.

The only difference I see is Kicking and Screaming has that new copyprotected symbol on the case. This couldn’t have anything to do with my DVD burner not being able to read the disk, could it? I tested another DVD with that symbol, Newlyweds season 2&3, and the plextor read that fine.

Any ideas? I’m at a lose.

I found the answer.

Apparently it is the CSS Protection. You have to have a DVD Player program, like PowerDVD, open in order for the DVD to be able to be read.

Hi :slight_smile:
Try this version of AnyDVD.
http://sandbox.slysoft,com/SetupAnyDVD5511.exe
You could update Plextors f/w too.
If you had no problems with Tears of The Sun & Man on Fire. PowerDVD on its own is unlikely to solve your problem.

Where do you see version 5511? I have the newest version listed on the website, 5441.

It’s a upgrade in the making, but usable & safe.

So apparently SlySoft removed the annoying CSS Protection. I’ll check it out. Thanks.

See.

Thanks. That last link in the embedded thread worked.

That’s what I would have figured. But I found another post here where an individual said that the CSS Protection can cause a DVD to be unreadable unless you first open up your DVD Player software. After that, you can close it and read the disc. Without upgrading to the AnyDVD version you listed, I was able to copy Kicking and Screaming by first opening up PowerDVD. But I’ll definitely upgrade AnyDVD, too. Thanks for the info.