Unable to play videos

vbimport

Hi!
I’m having trouble playing videos on my PC. Only WMP is able to play videos. I tried VLC, Klite and Winamp (used AVI&MOV files). The first two cant even play them. All I see is a white screen with a few lines moving. And Winamp is showing stripes across the videos. And it looks kind of black and white. What should I do now? Please help me out.
Thanks.

That’s very odd. VLC should be able to play any avi files. VLC is self contained and doesn’t rely on outside codecs, but I would remove Klite codec pack.

Uninstall VLC and reinstall with the latest version. www.videolan.org

Try Media Player Classic HomeCinema. It is a good alternative to VLC: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

[QUOTE=myce_newbie;2554320]Hi!
I’m having trouble playing videos on my PC. Only WMP is able to play videos. I tried VLC, Klite and Winamp (used AVI&MOV files). The first two cant even play them. All I see is a white screen with a few lines moving. And Winamp is showing stripes across the videos. And it looks kind of black and white. What should I do now? Please help me out.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Are these videos from a online source or is it on you HDD or cd/dvd media? And if VLC can’t play the video that usually means corrupt or bad video source…

The videos are on my HDD and WMP is able to play them. I reinstalled VLC. But when I tried to play them using VLC, a new dialog box appeared; “Rebuilding font cache. Please wait”. It took a few mins to complete that process but the results are the same. I can hear the audio but the video is not clear.

Check the video files with Gspot or Mediainfo.

no nothing. And it’s not 1 or 2. I have about 40 videos. Maybe a codec problem?

Tried DivX. No use. I have a few flv files which WMP is not able to play. What do you guys think? Should I reinstall 7? I don’t want to, but if there’s no other way…

[QUOTE=myce_newbie;2554338]The videos are on my HDD and WMP is able to play them. I reinstalled VLC. But when I tried to play them using VLC, a new dialog box appeared; “Rebuilding font cache. Please wait”. It took a few mins to complete that process but the results are the same. I can hear the audio but the video is not clear.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have more serious problem then just video playback functions…as well as the video you have aren’t any kinda standard video format that those player recognize and possible those video are not even coded correctly that why you can hear but see no video. If you take that HDD out and hook to different computer and can’t still see the video that would indicate bad video source…

Could you specify brand name and hardware (especially video card and memory) specifications of the computer where you have these problems?

as well as the video you have aren’t any kinda standard video format that those player recognize and possible those video are not even coded correctly that why you can hear but see no video.

Then how did WMP play them? :frowning: And I have used VLC in the past to play these videos.

@ Mr. Belvedere

I’m on c2d 2GB Memory, XFX Geforce 9800 512MB. I’m playing around with the settings in K-Lite now :D. Is it possible to delete all the video codecs and reinstall them?

is it possible to somehow play flv files on WMP?

[QUOTE=myce_newbie;2554518]Then how did WMP play them? :frowning: And I have used VLC in the past to play these videos.

@ Mr. Belvedere

I’m on c2d 2GB Memory, XFX Geforce 9800 512MB. I’m playing around with the settings in K-Lite now :D. Is it possible to delete all the video codecs and reinstall them?[/QUOTE]Yes, but it can be pretty annoying trying to get rid of each and every codec.

Personally i would remove K-lite and use VLC media player alltogether, because VLC does not install any codec, it just uses its own library of codecs.

By the way, VLC can play .FLV files as well.

I do not know the brand of your system so i can’t comment on the hardware.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GAEP45
CPU - C2D 7500
RAM - 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Kingston

I have played flv files using VLC but only WMP is able to play videos right now. So is there any way to play flv files using WMP. I tried almost everything. Reinstalled drivers, reinstalled all media players and removed unwanted registry keys etc etc…

WMP 11 on Vista plays .flvs for me. I’m sure I have added something probably a codec that does this. I don’t remember which one. I will see if I can find out .
Whappo ask you to use Media info . Post a text log from it of one of the problem files.That may help figure out what you need.
Have you installed a codec pack & then uninstalled it ?
The uninstall on some of these removes files they replaced & leaves your OS broken.

Try Installing Format Factory
http://www.pcfreetime.com/index.html
Then test to see if the .flv will play in WMP.
The key file is FLVSplitter.ax . I also have this file in C:\Windows\System32. I’m not sure if I copied it from Format Factory & pasted it there also or if Format Factory just installed it there.
You may need to register it but don’t if it works.

Thanks for the help but that…

DID work! (I installed it and checked the install internal codecs box). WMP is playing all my flv files. So I think I need not worry about other media players(they still aren’t functioning)… At least for now.
Thanks a ton Cholla!

Everything is OK for now. So I’m going to mark this thread as ‘Resolved’. Thank you all for your help and support.
You people really rock. I’ve been a silent reader of CCDF/MyCE for years…