Unable to install Win xp?

I format my computer and try to install the windows again. The windows is contain service pack 2. when I format my com, it is running well. then start to copy windows start up necessary files. then reboot. When the screen until the windows xp logo, it is hang there. I suspect is hardware problem. What problem is it?

Is it a new build or a reload of an older computer?

Details! History!

Not sure if this helps but I have had real issues trying to reload Windows on my southbridge Promise 378 controller using the F6 key to install the Promise drivers. Windows does the format and starts to load then hangs and freezes at the 35 minute point when installing Windows. Never figured it out I just work around by installing windows on my Northbridge (Intel controller) then after install I just install the Promise drivers and install the drive on the Promise controller, it works fine. Please disregard if this is not the case for your PC.:slight_smile:

siauchuan

If the format went ok (then your hard disk should be alright) and the problem only arises with installing windows then you might want to check for damage on your install CD.

Sophocles,
I dont think is my windows CD problem. Cos I often use this CD to install a lot computer. After finish copying windows setup files, I think, the system boot up without detect CD-ROM already. This is a first problem that I unable to solve. Thanks everyone for giving me some idea.

1. Please advise your HD’s & the configuration.
  2. What is your bios set to boot from 1st, 2nd & 3rd?
  3. What are the controllers the HD’s are connected to? And have you installed any special SCSI/Raid controllers (using F6 at windows setup?)

Ty :slight_smile:

I heard about the problems with installing WinXP with integrated SP2 on 2-3 years computers. Upgrading BIOS resolved all problems.

I heard about the problems with installing WinXP with integrated SP2 on 2-3 years computers. Upgrading BIOS resolved all problems.

Sound like the fault due to BIOS. How do i upgrade my BIOS?

Go to the motherboard manufacture’s web site and obtain the latest bios upgrade for your motherboard. Also download the instructions for flashing the new bios and follow them.
Whilst flashing do not touch anything on the computer until the screen shows that the flash is complete and it is safe to do so.
Good luck