Unable to format SD card

purchased a 4gb sd card recently, planned on using it to store pc data. Windows however, was unable to format the card , wasn’t the write protect switch either, it then askes me to insert a writable media into the card reader. in the end i borrowed a digital camera and formatted the card with it, only then did it worked.

the card in my possession is a transcend 4gb sd card. i’m concerned whether there’s something wrong with my card or not. please help, many thanks.

What version of Windows? How old is your PC? Once you got it formatted was Windows able to read/write to it? Is it being recognized in My Computer? Do you have any other SD cards or a usb flash drive that have worked?

windows vista, e-blue cardreader, yes once the camera formatted it works just fine. there was another oddity to it though, when i format the now camera formatted card using vista’s format option, choosing fat32 or ntfs would result in the card refusing to be safely removed; whenever i select “safely remove device” option on the taskbar, windows would give me an error saying “the drive is still in use by another app please close it first” after i had written data into it, HOWEVER when i formatted the card with fat16 i no longer receive anymore of this message and vista always happily removed the device safely for me when i told it to. So what does this all mean?

it was reconized by vista but it kept asking me to insert a recordable device everytime i asked vista to format or drag a file to it …i’ve never format the card before either. i was wondering, are all SD cards writable out of the box with just a card reader? sadly i do not possess another new sd card but i’ll buy another one soon just to test this out.

Keep in mind that your card reader needs to have SDHC support for it to work
//Danne

Hi,[quote=DiiZzY;2196327]Keep in mind that your card reader needs to have SDHC support for it to work
//Danne[/quote]

According to Wikipedia, there are also non-SDHC cards with 4 GB available, but these are not according to the specs, so handling them is kind of gambling.

Michael

I don’t know about the e-blue cardreader, but some (older) card readers don’t support cards bigger than 2 GB.

The builtin card-reader in my 3½ year-old laptop only supports SD cards up to 2 GB in size with the original driver, and with an unofficial driver upgrade it supports 4 GB SD cards (but not SDHC).

Transcend offers (or has offered) both SD and SDHC cards that are 4 GB.

Have you tried other cards of the same or larger size in that card-reader?

Have you tried your SD(HC) card in another card-reader?

Sandisk also has 4GB cards which are not HC I have a sandisk and a transcend for my gps which work.they would only format in FATS 32 on windows xp and are tempormental

temperamental? as in, it goes dead occasionally? or did you meant the data would disappear overtime?

[QUOTE=k9cop;2196920]Sandisk also has 4GB cards which are not HC I have a sandisk and a transcend for my gps which work.they would only format in FATS 32 on windows xp and are tempormental[/QUOTE]

I have Transcend 4Gb SD card and it works fine.

just wondering…is 4gb technology actually proficiented technology or are they just pushing the card beyond the limit of what triditional SDs can handle? i actually only used the card to store data, namely, all my MSword document, some homemade midi music, camera photos and dv videos, some old freewares…etc

also i heard these 4gb cards have compatibility issues, what does that mean?

i chose sd cards for storing my precious data because i think they’re more reliable than burning disc only to have the disc go coaster or putting it in a usb hardrive only to have some fella formatted it with a single click. i think i chose the right medium for archiving data, do you think so?

thanks for helping.