Unable to flash DH-16A6S

vbimport

Hello guys ,
I have gotten in a pickle here. I was trying to edit my fw speeds using MSCE.
It seems I can read the fw no problem , but when it comes to writing a patched one (or the clean one I backed) I just keep getting the “Error writing FLASH to drive” error. I tried to crossflash as well (to 120) with no avail. All I want is to burn my DL media on 2.4x…

Running Windows 7 E.
FW: YL33
Drive is connected to a laptop using Sata to USB wire and powered by a Desktop (I blown my molex adapter a while ago).
Drive was manufactured Nov 19 2008
I took the drive out from old Lenovo Thinkcentre (it might be oem or something)

If you need any more info or a FW bin I can provide it with haste

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post.
Thx In Advance :bow:

-light

Do I understand it correct - you can’t flash the drive even with stock iHAS120 firmware?

Could you upload your YL33 firmware somewhere?

That is correct, Im unable to flash anything as im aware

There It is:
YL33

What is the device name in device manager? It has to match the download. If it is oem it may be different.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2726218]What is the device name in device manager? It has to match the download. If it is oem it may be different.[/QUOTE]

ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S USB DEVICE

later ill try to plug it directly into my laptops sata port, if I find my wire.

If it is doing a bit for bit match by device name, the suffix ‘USB DEVICE’ could create a mismatch. It is looking for an internal device rather than an external connected by usb…Only a guess.

but the “USB Device” part doesnt appear in the Flasher nor anywhere else

EDIT:

It seems that my makeshift sata wires worked, it flashed to 120 instantly.

Well thanks for the help.

The flasher looks for device name ‘ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S’ however, Windows identifies the device name as ‘ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S USB DEVICE’ because it connected via USB. A mismatch occurs and an error message is generated.

I’ve tried to flash one of my LiteOn drives via SATA-USB adapter - it seems it can’t be flashed with this connection (but flash utility still reads firmware correctly). I’m afraid you should connect the drive directly to SATA to make it work.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2726228]The flasher looks for device name ‘ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S’ however, Windows identifies the device name as ‘ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S USB DEVICE’ because it connected via USB. A mismatch occurs and an error message is generated.[/QUOTE]

One you choose the target drive in the flasher dropdown menu, I doubt the name of the device is important. If you can see the drive listed in the menu, then it has already been enumerated by the system and the flasher knows how to find it. All it’s doing is translating the “friendly name” to a specific bus and device number.

More likely the flash fails AFTER being found, because the SATA-USB adaptor is filtering what is transmits, and is not fully passing the flash commands to the drive.