Unable to clone Day of the Dead 2008 R1 using DVDFab Platinum 4.1.2.0

vbimport

Reads DVD OK, after putting in a blank for burning, I get this error message:

After I click “OK” the process hangs until I hit “Cancel”.

The file that it’s looking for is there.

Tried twice now, same results.

If I click on “Write Data”, then select the “K: emp_dvd\DVDFab\Temp\Clone\DAY OF THE DEAD” folder for “Source”, nothing happens after I click “OK” after selecting the folder.

I tried moving the .iso and .ini file to a different drive and folder (“J:\ISO”) and it did not fix the problem.

DVD is Day of the Dead 2008 R1. This disc is very unusual in that it uses parallel layers instead of the usual opposite layers. Could that be the problem?

I have attached IFO files and the DVDFab logs.

Try disabling Path Player and be sure your write speed is 2.4x and see if it works. You can also try Clone mode selecting your optical drive as both the source and the target.

Thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=90312;2036973]You can also try Clone mode selecting your optical drive as both the source and the target.[/QUOTE]

Already did it that way.

[QUOTE=90312;2036973]be sure your write speed is 2.4x and see if it works.[/QUOTE]

The write speed is pretty meaningless in the context of this issue in that DVDFab never gets to the point where it begins writing. (It seems that DVDFab cannot open the created .iso and .ini files.)

I will try disabling Path Player to see if that makes a difference.

The problem might also be related to the parallel layers within that ISO image, you could try to rip it to a folder on the HDD as files rather than an image. Then use the write function to put it on your DL, or even better ImgBurn, it will pick a good spot for the layer break.

Ripping then writing is a different operation than 1:1 clone.

Ripping: DVDFab “Full Disc,” “CloneDVD,” “AnyDVD Ripper”

1:1 Clone: DVDFab “Clone,” Nero “DVD Copy,” “CloneCD,” “ImgBurn”

So yes, ripping then writing is an option, but I like to do 1:1 clone (preserves original layer break, preserves file dates and time, preserves “short” disc ID, preserves all content not in video_ts).

If parallel layers are causing a problem with DVDFab, is it a bug, or is it by design?

I don’t know if the parallel layers are a problem or not, I was just trying to offer options to get a backup. Good question though.

Is a home burner able to burn parallel layers on DVD+R DL media?

I’ve never seen or heard of a DVD burner that can burn parallel paths on any media, but I assumed that had changed and you had one that could. Home DVD burners are OTP only as far as I know.

[QUOTE=Pelvis Popcan;2036939]Reads DVD OK, after putting in a blank for burning, I get this error message:

I have had this happen to me a few times and I later found that the problem was because the movie title had 15 letters in the name counting spaces after I removed one space in the title making only 14 total it went through the burn process.
Not saying this is your problem, just leting you know what causedmy issue.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2037032]I have had this happen to me a few times and I later found that the problem was because the movie title had 15 letters in the name counting spaces after I removed one space in the title making only 14 total it went through the burn process.
Not saying this is your problem, just leting you know what causedmy issue.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did move the files in that folder to a different drive and folder (“J:\ISO” - only three letters) and I still was not able to write it using “write data.”

[QUOTE=Pelvis Popcan;2036939]

If I click on “Write Data”, then select the “K: emp_dvd\DVDFab\Temp\Clone\DAY OF THE DEAD” folder for “Source”, nothing happens after I click “OK” after selecting the folder.

I tried moving the .iso and .ini file to a different drive and folder (“J:\ISO”) and it did not fix the problem.

DVD is Day of the Dead 2008 R1.[/QUOTE]

I like zombie movies and have not seen this to buy at Best Buy. What I believe is this is either a downloaded or pirated dvd. That would be why it will not copy. The latest day of the dead to be released was in 2005 it was called Day of the Dead 2: Contagium. Where is a 2008 release located to buy because I cannot find it.

@GJ

I think he means this DVD:

sorry I was wrong I googled it after I posted. It was released on april 8, 2008. But I have not seen it at the local best buy. I am in Canada that could be why. I would like to get this remake as I said I like zombie movies. Hopefully I see it soon.

It came from Amazon.

ImgBurn worked reading then burning a 1:1 clone. It did however throw up this warning:

I guess DVDFab Platinum 4.1.2.0 is unable to handle parallel layer DVD’s when using the clone function.

Hi Pelvis,

The problem has nothing to do with protection, also DVDFab Info is enough for us.

I’m trying to reproduce the problem.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Hi Pelvis,

Please send the “.ini” to fengtao(at)dvdidle.com, you need replace (at) with @.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=fengtao;2037299]Hi Pelvis,

Please send the “.ini” to fengtao(at)dvdidle.com, you need replace (at) with @.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that’s really necessary, as this is all that is inside the .ini file:

[ISO]
Files=.iso
LayerBreak=0

ImgBurn detected the layer break on the original as follows:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1,841,184 (49.69%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,864,513 (50.31%)

There’s a problem with that… the first layer is smaller than the second. That makes using this position as the layer break impossible with opposite track paths.

Different 1:1 copying applications seem to adjust the layer break position differently (again I am providing this info to try to help you troubleshoot :bow:).

When Nero burns the 1:1 .nrg file it creates, it puts it the OTP layer break at exactly 50%, with the exact same number of sectors:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1,852,848 (50%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,852,848 (50%)

The .ini file created by CloneCD, like DVDFab, does not contain any layer break info. When burning the 1:1 image created by CloneCD, CloneCD puts the OTP layer break as follows:

Layer 0 Sectors: 2,086,912 (56.32%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,618,800 (43.68%)

What I think it may have done is burned to the outside edge for Layer 0.

Finally, when burning the 1:1 .iso file created by ImgBurn, ImgBurn does the OTP layer break as follows:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1,855,408 (50.07%)
Layer 1 Sectors: 1,850,304 (49.93%)

It’s pretty clode to 50/50, but not exact like Nero was. So I’m not sure how it determined the 50.07% and 49.93%.

Here are some more threads with information that you might find useful to help troubleshoot. If it’s wrong of me to post these here, then I do apologize; I am only doing my best in attempting to provide you with helpful information :bow::

Please let me know what else you might need which I haven’t thought of.

;):clap: