Unable to burn cds driver/software missing? What to do?

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Toshiba Tecra S1: Centrino/1.7 GHz/XP Pro / 15.0. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]I am unable to burn audio or data cds, missing driver or software. I know it is capable, but will not work. I have the recovery disk, but do not know where to locate the missing software. Can anyone help, please and thank you?!

Hi and Welcome!

there are some free CD/DVD writing applications you can try, like Imgburn or CDburnerXP.

Michael

I downloaded the CDBurnerXP with no luck for my Tecra S1. It seems that there is no CD-RW device installed in the computer at this time even though this computer came with CD-RW-DVD-Rom/DVD Multidrive when I purchased it in 2004. It used to create CDs with Drag N Drop and DVDs with WinDVD that came installed on the computer itself, but it currently shows no writing devise connected. I had my harddrive replaced 2 years ago, and I used the recovery disks to reinstall the software, and havent tried to burn anything until now, and of course it does not work. Should I give up and purchase a new CD Drive with a cd-r / cd-rw? I have been to windows, microsoft, toshiba, and all over the net with no luck, so frustrating… Thank you so much for your help

Hi,[QUOTE=Laurie Dillard;2453242]I downloaded the CDBurnerXP with no luck for my Tecra S1. It seems that there is no CD-RW device installed in the computer at this time even though this computer came with CD-RW-DVD-Rom/DVD Multidrive when I purchased it in 2004. [/quote]Okay. Then there seems to be some Windows or software related issue. Even if your drive were bad, Windows and CD/DVD burning applications should recognise the drive as writer.

Should I give up and purchase a new CD Drive with a cd-r / cd-rw?
No.
Please check device manager, if there are any errors or problems indicated. Also, have a look at the software that is installed on your computer. I am especially thinking of games which often have a rogue copy protection, virtual drive software like Deamon Tools, Alcohol and similar which can “hide” writeable media (there are settings to disable that behaviour). Also there were some malware-like “copy protections” that came with video DVDs or music CDs (Google for Sony Rootkit) and negatively affected the usability of optical drives.

Michael

Who replaced the HDD? Because they could have swapped out your DVD drive and stuck a CD-ROM in their. The recovery discs were probably basic CD’s.

You can download (free) Nero Infotool, it can tell you your optical drives capabilities: Nero Infotool

[QUOTE=eric93se;2453625]Who replaced the HDD? Because they could have swapped out your DVD drive and stuck a CD-ROM in their. [/quote]Evil. :eek:

You can download (free) Nero Infotool, it can tell you your optical drives capabilities:
Excellent idea. Device manager should also mention the model of the drive.

Additionally, I prefer official sources (softpedia requires membership in order to download stuff, IIRC): http://www.nero.com/eng/support-nero7-tools-utilities.html (they really make it hard to find on their website :frowning: )

Michael

Softpedia is completely free, no sign-up required, but I’ll try to find homepages in the future.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2453735]Softpedia is completely free, no sign-up required, [/QUOTE]Just checked, you’re correct. :slight_smile: Signup is only needed if the “Download Basket” is used.

Michael