Unable to burn below 2.4x on 2510a

vbimport

I am unable to burn at 1x using nero, dvd decrypter, or alcohol 120%.

I have tried the following media

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 01RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 01RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG05]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG05]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

the verbatim +r disks show as having a minimum write speed of 2.4 in alcohol, nero and dvddecrypter

the ritek-r show nothing under 2x in all three programs

and the verbatim digital movie -R show lowest speed as 2 in all three programs as well

does tis drive not support write speeds under 2/2.4?

Welcome in the family :slight_smile:

• Minimum write speed for +R discs is 2.4x: that’s a standard limit;
    • IMHO there are no recent DVD-burners that allow a speed under 2x for -R discs; 2x speed is become somewhat standard as minimum writing speed;
    • why do you want lower speeds? Do you have A LOT of time to spend (4.7GB @1x=about 1 hour of writing activity)? :confused: If your issue is quality, well, you have NO CHANCE to get better quality @ lower speeds. Period.

well thank you for the welcome.

I think it’s strange that the package my dvd+rs came in states that they are capable of 1-8x… you are the second person to tell me that 2.4 is the minimum, previously I thought the other person was misinformed.

why would verbatim blatantly lie about such a thing?

the lower speed is for ps2 game backups-
supposedly they like lower speeds and the laser on them breaks down quicker when you play backups written at higher speeds on them.

Yo-

The 1x - 8x gives some backward compatability for older burners - like my old Toshiba (long gone)-

Mike

it’s the quality of the burn that matters, not the speed at which the dvdr is written at. yes, usually slower burns mean better results but the 2510 is perfectly capable of writing MCC003 @8x with amazing results.

Another stupid myth about 1X burn speed. 2.4 to 4X will be fine.

my first kitty was named furball…

so it is not the case that I should try 4x media to burn slower?

I realize you all are saying I will be fine at 2, I just wonder if that recommendation had any merit.

If it says “1x” on +R media, that means they are compatible with standalone DVD recorders. On computer burners, the minimum speed for +R is defined as 2.4x.

I assume that 1x speed is quite some stress for both, media and burner, just like it has been with CD-R and that’s why computer burners don’t support these low speeds. You’ll most likely get better write quality at 2x/2.4x than you’d get at 1x if it were possible. Lower=better is, as furballi pointed out, a myth. It’s only true within certain limits, and 1x is a speed that’s outside of these limits for most media and burners.

I see.

so if I get a backup that plays fine until a certain cutscene, should I try -r, or just retry on +r?

I assume if it plays at all on +R then it should be fine, either it’s compatable or not, right?

Most important factor is the QUALITY of the media. Use Made in Japan media if possible. Second factor is the type of DVD. -R is more compatible but you can set the booktype of +R to DVD-ROM to achieve the same level of compatibility. Of course a bad burner will always yield bad DVDs.

If you stick with 2.4X or 4X write speed, then the burn speed should not be a variable. Cheap media do not burn well at higher speed.

I thought verbatim was a top brand?

The burner is fine, I haven’t had any problems with it…

Why do you say -r is more compatable?

That burner cannot burn DVD media at 1x. Period.

just make run a transfer rate test with nero’s cd-dvd speed after you burn to check how the reading curve is.

you should probably read some of the FAQs around here. (not trying to be mean) it just seems like you don’t really know what yo’re talking about