Unable to burn any DVD-R disks

I am having a hell of a time burning DVD movies on my brand spanking new LG GH22LS40 DVD internal drive. I’ve wasted at least 25 disks, tried every conversion trick in the book, bought and returned a Pioneer drive, bought an HP drive (only to find out it had a SATA interface, and I needed EIDE or ATAPI or whatever), and finally settling on the LG wipe your ass. Nothing has worked. My big issue is with the stupid .mod JVC proprietary file format that just doesn’t want to seem to play well with anything I throw at it. Oh yeah, sure, I can watch the videos of my band concert perfectly on my laptop, and desktop. I just can’t get any media to burn. Try a Google search on this error code: 0xeb020b88. You will see all kinds of people having the same issue, and NOBODY HAS ANY RESOLUTION. You get the idiots that say, ‘go out and buy a lens cleaner’. Like that’s going to magically work. I’ve tried Sony DVD-R, Maxell DVD+RW, Memorex DVD+ LightScribe, TDK DVD-R, and lately, the infamous Verbatim DVD-R blank media. I’ve had ‘marginal’ success using the Sony media, and have not burned one successful disk using Verbatim. Luckily, with Verbatim, the burn has canceled before the burn process even started, so golly gee, I may actually have 50 of my 50 disks available. I’ve tried Windows DVD maker, Burn Express, Cyberlink Producer and Power2Go (v.6), and several other ‘freebie’ burning software off the Internet. I refuse to shell out big bucks for something like Pinnacle, or Roxio (although I’ve got an unopened Roxio 9 I’m willing to try) if I’m going to burn coasters. If you can come up with ANYTHING in regards to that hex error code above, that would be great. I can give you log files, PC configuration, and anything else you may need. Just let me know. I’d appreciate it. :a

jpolwort;I haven’t googled the code yet but intend too.
I guess I have been lucky & have been able to burn almost everything I’ve tried to.
First get DVDShrink & see if the DVD folder you are trying to burn will load in it without error.
If it does try to use ImgBurn build mode to burn that folder to a DVD disc.Then post an ImgBurn log.
If DVDShrink gives an error post that error.
At least this will be a start of diagnosing the problem.
Where are you getting files in the JVC .mod format ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2274624]jpolwort;I haven’t googled the code yet but intend too.
I guess I have been lucky & have been able to burn almost everything I’ve tried to.
First get DVDShrink & see if the DVD folder you are trying to burn will load in it without error.
If it does try to use ImgBurn build mode to burn that folder to a DVD disc.Then post an ImgBurn log.
If DVDShrink gives an error post that error.
At least this will be a start of diagnosing the problem.
Where are you getting files in the JVC .mod format ?[/QUOTE]

First, I download the .mod files (3 of them), directly into My Videos folder from the JVC videocam itself (it acts like an external drive). There are various posts that indicate some software will encode the .mod files directly (i.e. Cyberlink), and some say to simply rename the .mod files to .mpg. I’ve tried both but to no avail. I’m on Vista SP-1 (and also Win-7 RC1) on a HP Pavillion a250n desktop. I’ve got imgBurn, but not DVDShrink (although I’ve seen it mentioned quite a bit). I’ll try that and see what happens. At this moment, I’m writing this from work, and don’t have access to the log file of my last burn. I’ll try to post that at a later time. When chatting with Customer Support from Cyberlink, they thought I didn’t have enough RAM (I have 1GB on my desktop). Personally, I don’t think that has anything to do with being able to burn, but who knows. Thx for your suggestion, and I will keep an eye out for other suggestions too. - Jim :confused:

I read a bit on the .mod .I found the same info you already have to rename to .mpg & also the Cyberlink is supposed to be able to encode them correctly to .avi or .mpg.
Still to burn to a DVD disc that settop DVD players will play they will have to be standard DVD complient format at least a VIDEO_TS folder with .bup , .ifo , & .vob files .
Some DVD players also play DIVX but I don’t have one so I will leave that to others if you need to convert to that format.
I think DVDShrink will only load the DVD complient format.It will load an .iso but I beleive that .iso has to contain DVD complient format files.
So if all you have is the .mod files it probably won’t do you any good.
You probably already have this info but since I found it I will post it.

I actually just found another program (that comes bundled with the JVC Everio) called Cyberlink PowerDirector. This program will allow you to export your video(s) as .AVI or .MPG1 or .MPG2 files. Here’s a brief overview of how to do it:

Open PowerDirector (Duh)
Import all of your .MOD files.
Add all of your .MOD files to the timeline (or) If you want to create individual .AVI or .MPG files, add the files to the timeline individually.
Once your timeline is setup how you’d like it, Click “Produce”
Now select Save to File
Finally Select .AVI or .MPG and select the directory that you’d like your file stored to.

I don’t have any .mod files to work with so I can’t test but here’s a suggestion:
Try the rename of the extension of just one .mod to .mpg the encoed it with a software DVDFlick.I’m not at all sure it will work but worth a try.
From some of what I read keep it in the 16:9 ratio.