Unable to boot from SH S223F under ACHI mode

I have recently got the Samsung SH S223F sata dvd rw. Today i faced the most weird problem. I was unable to boot from the drive. Each time i tried to boot the drive i get the msg Cd rom boot priority 1…35 and the pc would become unresponsive.
After checking the bios settings i realised that the SATA mode was set ACHI…after changed the sata mode to IDE, I was able to boot from the drive! :a:a

I have no clue how to get the drive to boot under the AHCI mode.
The mother board is MSI K9N2GM FD its based on the nvidia 730a/8200 chipset

Thanks.

Hi,[QUOTE=Rishikesh;2281968]
I have no clue how to get the drive to boot under the AHCI mode.
The mother board is MSI K9N2GM FD its based on the nvidia 730a/8200 chipset[/QUOTE]It’s not the drive, it’s the motherboard or even the mainboard chipset.
You may check if you can set particular Sata ports to IDE mode (nifty feature of AMD 700 southbridge :D).

Michael

Well i can change the SATA mode to either IDE…RAID or ACHI but it applies to all the 6 sata ports. Cant set a particular sata port to IDE or ACHI.

Right now…i tried booting again… this time the following happened…

When i tried to boot from the SH S223F

First got the msg CD-ROM Boot Priority 1…35
next
CD-ROM Boot Priority… Boot Ready

the screen stuck there for a while and finally the pc booted from the hdd.

Updated the motherboard bios to the latest version and the problem is solved.

I am able to boot from the dvd rw in ahci mode :smiley:

Nice you got it sorted :slight_smile:

^^Thank you…you did point me in the direction of the motherboard being the cause.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2281979]Hi,It’s not the drive, it’s the motherboard or even the mainboard chipset.
You may check if you can set particular Sata ports to IDE mode (nifty feature of AMD 700 southbridge :D).

Michael[/QUOTE]

My A770CrossFire is a really nice board, but it doesn’t have that feature (or I don’t know how to enable it). What board do you have?

Hi,[QUOTE=rivanvx;2286955]My A770CrossFire is a really nice board, but it doesn’t have that feature (or I don’t know how to enable it). What board do you have?[/QUOTE]it’s a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H.
Yours is an Asrock board?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2286994]Hi,it’s a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H.
Yours is an Asrock board?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, actually all the boards I own at the moment are ASRock (A770CrossFire, K10N78FullHD-hSLI, ALiveN570SLI in my brother’s computer, AM2NF3-VSTA in a system I built some time ago for a friend (no SATA burner there, though) and G31M-GS in a system I’m building for a friend) :slight_smile: They are cheap and they work, and I haven’t had any problems with any of them whatsoever, excluding NVIDIA SATA drivers issues (one version works, next version f**ks things up). But they are easily solvable.

On topic with this thread, my K10N78FullHD-hSLI R3.0 (GeForce 8200) used to work badly with SH-S223F, but works just fine with Lite On DH-20A1S (IDE mode, haven’t tried AHCI). Now that you got me interested in looking into it, I will play with it later today and report my findings.

I used to own ASUS M2A-VM HDMI (690G + SB600) year ago or so, and I had heat issues with it. Also, I got hit by SB600 AHCI bug so decided to get rid of it. Do you have heat issues with 740G (since it’s basically the same chip as 690G)?

[QUOTE=rivanvx;2287455]Yeah, actually all the boards I own at the moment are ASRock[/quote]Okay. I am not sure if the separate settings are a feature of Gigabyte motherboards only. :confused:

I used to own ASUS M2A-VM HDMI (690G + SB600) year ago or so, and I had heat issues with it. Also, I got hit by SB600 AHCI bug so decided to get rid of it. Do you have heat issues with 740G (since it’s basically the same chip as 690G)?
GPU is basically the same, that’s right.
My brother owns the Asus board you mentioned (but without the HDMI feature), and I haven’t heard any complaints from him.
The Gigabyte is in my wife’s computer, and there were no complaints yet, either.
Both computers are not under heavy load (only used for office apps). How can I detect the heat problems you mentioned (apart from touching the chip)?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2287560]Okay. I am not sure if the separate settings are a feature of Gigabyte motherboards only. :confused:[/QUOTE]
I guess so.

GPU is basically the same, that’s right.
My brother owns the Asus board you mentioned (but without the HDMI feature), and I haven’t heard any complaints from him.
The Gigabyte is in my wife’s computer, and there were no complaints yet, either.
Both computers are not under heavy load (only used for office apps). How can I detect the heat problems you mentioned (apart from touching the chip)?l

Just put the chip under heavy load. If the environmental temperature is high, and you have a small case, you will know it has heat issues very soon (the system will freeze, and you will get bad corruption on screen if you use integrated graphics). I had it happen more frequently under Linux than under Windows, I guess that Windows drivers have some features that reduce the voltage/frequency/whatever of the chip when it’s not under load, effectively reducing heat.

BTW, SpeedFan is great for monitoring temperatures.

[QUOTE=rivanvx;2287674]Just put the chip under heavy load. If the environmental temperature is high, and you have a small case, you will know it has heat issues very soon (the system will freeze, and you will get bad corruption on screen if you use integrated graphics).[/quote]Tried with torturing the box with several 3DMark versions. No issues here. Possibly due to the rather big case (Chieftec Midi Tower), the good ventilation (120 mm rear fan) or the rather low ambient temperature (~22°C).
Interestingly, the scrores are much lower than with my own, rather old system (AMD64 3000+; Winchester Core, Via KT800Pro and a shabby Geforce 6200 with 64 bit memory interface and 256 MB VRAM, crippled down to 128 MB by other VGA-Bios) :frowning:

I had it happen more frequently under Linux than under Windows,
Must try Knoppix then :bigsmile:

BTW, SpeedFan is great for monitoring temperatures.
I know. :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2288161]Tried with torturing the box with several 3DMark versions. No issues here. Possibly due to the rather big case (Chieftec Midi Tower), the good ventilation (120 mm rear fan) or the rather low ambient temperature (~22°C).[/QUOTE]
Great.

Interestingly, the scrores are much lower than with my own, rather old system (AMD64 3000+; Winchester Core, Via KT800Pro and a shabby Geforce 6200 with 64 bit memory interface and 256 MB VRAM, crippled down to 128 MB by other VGA-Bios) :frowning:

Yeah, that’s normal. Integrated GPU gaming kinda sucks :frowning:

Must try Knoppix then :bigsmile:

I doubt you will reproduce it even then. I didn’t have it happen once during winter.