Ummm...I have problems :(

vbimport

Aight here goes:

1. Got my Pacific Digital 16x drive

2. Become overjoyed that the PD drive is really a BenQ 1620

3. Do some research and find out that OEM 1620’s can be flashed to use Retail firmware.

4. Got firmware from here

5. flash drive, and a couple days later it craps out…absolutely nothing happening from it

6. flash it back to the firmware it came with (G7Z9), and send it back.

7. today, I got my replacement drive…and it works! My main question is if I should try and flash it again.

Also, I burned some RW’s and found weird patterns on them.(see pictures)

I burn these same brand +RW with my 1620 retail version of the drive and do not have those dark burn patterns. Dude, they look bad…

Where are you getting the drives from. Maybe try another source.

Maybe try another make of +RW disk, but if your drive is burning with those dark patterns, I would not trust it with any disks.

Exactly the same thing happened on my Benq 1620 a couple of days before it died. I got a replacement dated Dec 04 made in Malaysia which is fine. My advice is return it ASAP.

Well… scan it to see if anything is wrong!!

Isn’t it the purpose of having a 1620? :slight_smile:

In my experience color change sometimes comes with quality drop and sometimes it doesn’t.

Could be a +RW disc that is at the end of it’s life-cycle. I know using the Ridata 4x DVD+RW’s in a stand-alone DVD Recorder they seemed to have a very short life cycle before going belly up. Just a thought. I’d try some regular +R discs and see how they turn out honestly before condemning the drive completely.

The RW I used was new

This is my second BenQ 1620 (albeit a Pacific Digital/OEM version), I can’t get another one for free!

Well… scan it to see if anything is wrong!!

See pictures, I think (it’s my first time using this tool)

Don’t the dark splotches also appear even in areas where the disk wasn’t burnt?

no

Check out my label…maybe you guys can decipher it?
p.s.-I flashed to fw B7T9…

In response to dsdarli in another thread-

…The 1620 is master to my old NEC CD-RW, and it is selected in the drop down menu.

Also, is my drive worse than others since the label says October 2004, China?

Qsuite will only work with firmware B7U9 or newer… dint know what you had until this thread…

as to dvd+rw I don’t use them so I can’t elaborate on them.

THANKS dsdarli!

10 points to whoever can tell me if my drive was made in a bad plant/month.

Sure looks like it to me!