Ultra Speed 16-24x CD-RW Media Slowness with Mt. Rainier

Ok heres the deal, I format a RW disk @24x with DirectCD or InCD using CD-MRW format on my LTR-52246S drive and then copy approx 400 megs of files to it from windows explorer, then eject the disk and drop it in a regular Multi-read cdrom player and it takes a good minute to detect, then copying the files back to the HD takes 15-20 min, what gives? older 4x cd-rw media is much quicker for read time.

tested Media:

—Verbatim Ultra Speed CD-RW DataLifePlus—
ATIP: 97m 34s 24f
Disc Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp.
Reflective layer: Phase change
Media type: CD-ReWritable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 656.40MB (74m 43s 00f / LBA: 336075)

and

—LiteOn Professional Multi-Speed CD-RW74 10x-24x (sample included with retail box)—
ATIP: 97m 27s 12f
Disc Manufacturer: Plasmon Data Systems, Ltd.
Reflective layer: Phase change
Media type: CD-ReWritable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 656.10MB (74m 41s 00f / LBA: 335925)

Something tells me we’re going to be seeing more of these complaints about the new RW technology. At least you were able to get some of those discs.
Does the disc read well in the LiteOn?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Does the disc read well in the LiteOn?

Yes indeed, very fast read in Lite-On, but lets say I wanted to take this RW disk to a friends PC, not so good then, Sorry if I was not more clear, seems its not just Mt. Rainier maybe its a EasyWrite reader issue? because ive also formatted this same Media as a non Mt. Rainier UDF with Ahead’s InCD and have the same slowness read issue on cdrom drives, im thinking its either the media or the reader driver Roxio’s UDF reader/InCD easywrite reader.

Are you sure it’s not just a read issue? Try running CDSpeed on the disc in the CD-ROM, see if it’s not reading well enough. It may show lots of errors. I’m thinking the new RW discs are less reflective.

hey… using Nero CD Speed and here what happened:

— Sony CDU4811 48x CD-ROM reader —
start speed: 4.10x
Current speed 9.08

then a error box popped up:
Error!
LOGICAL BLOCK ADDRESS OUT OF RANGE (052100)

— LiteOn LTR52246S —
Start 16.07x
End 33.95x
Average 25.88x

No errors reading same CD on this drive.

Sounds like “multi-read” doesn’t mean multi-read any more. :frowning:

The bundled ultraspeed media is total crap. Use Mitsubishi media, nothing else!

Originally posted by alexnoe
The bundled ultraspeed media is total crap. Use Mitsubishi media, nothing else!

I’ve found the bundled disc is fine @ 10x & 16x, but loaded with errors @ 24x.

I’ve ordered a 10 pack of those Verbatim discs from www.amazon.com I’ll post my results in early December when I receive them and test them.

Originally posted by Spazmogen
[B]

I’ve found the bundled disc is fine @ 10x & 16x, but loaded with errors @ 24x.

I’ve ordered a 10 pack of those Verbatim discs from www.amazon.com I’ll post my results in early December when I receive them and test them. [/B]

I’ll tell ya right now I have tested these Verbatim 16-24x (Mitsubishi) CD-RW’s and they work great @16x but err at 24x, or maybe its my new LiteOn LTR-52246S causing this? anyone else been able to test these?

This should not happen with Verbatim media…