“Ultra HD TVs to account for 20% of worldwide TV sales this year”

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: “Ultra HD TVs to account for 20% of worldwide TV sales this year”[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/04/myce-samsung-full-hd-ultra-hd-tv-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

TV industry insiders expect that Ultra HD TVs will account for 20% of all TVs sold worldwide, according to the Taiwanese Digitimes.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ultra-hd-tvs-to-account-for-20-of-worldwide-tv-sales-this-year-75655/](http://www.myce.com/news/ultra-hd-tvs-to-account-for-20-of-worldwide-tv-sales-this-year-75655/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m very excited to see prices of UHD televisions dropping faster than Lindsay Lohan’s career. I’m looking at getting a 55" LG with IPS 120Hz screen (55UB8200) for about $1,300. I’ll probably wait until UHD players and discs show up before pulling the trigger. Forget curved screens and 3D, they’re just lame marketing.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2751595]I’m very excited to see prices of UHD televisions dropping faster than Lindsay Lohan’s career.[/QUOTE] The only thing that could drop faster than Lindsay Lohan’s career is a black hole falling into another black hole! :smiley:

20% is a tad conservative!
90% of LG’s offerings this year will be UHD, and the other manufacturers are not too far behind.
As for that 55UB8200 being $1300.00, don’t hold your breath.
They were $2400.00 CDN 3 months ago and the latest price has them at $1700.00 CDN.
Big panels still cost Big money.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2751595]I’m very excited to see prices of UHD televisions dropping faster than Lindsay Lohan’s career. I’m looking at getting a 55" LG with IPS 120Hz screen (55UB8200) for about $1,300. I’ll probably wait until UHD players and discs show up before pulling the trigger. Forget curved screens and 3D, they’re just lame marketing.[/QUOTE]

Microcenter has had a Samsung 55" UHD TV selling for $899 for several months.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/439906/55_4K_Ultra_HD_LED_Smart_TV_-_UN55HU6840

TBH I don’t really see the point in this until TV stations start broadcasting in UHD.

I’ll wait until then and buy a technically more developed TV for a lot less.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Some people might be buying an UHD TV to jump on the wagon but my guess is most people are looking to purchase a TV and figure they might as well get a 4k unit since the difference in price is within reason. If I needed a TV today I would definitely get a 4k one.

"TBH I don’t really see the point in this until TV stations start broadcasting in UHD.

I’ll wait until then and buy a technically more developed TV for a lot less."

Hope you plan on keeping your TV 20+ years, HD broadcast standard is 720P. 10 years after 1080p was introduced as the BluRay standard there are still no stations that actually broadcast at 1080p resolution. The problem being bandwidth and the antiquated systems that exist for transfering information to our TVs. Untill everybody has a direct fibre link in their homes Beroadcast TV is going to be stuck at 720p.

That being said, 4K/UHD will still become the display standard just as 1080p did. Try finding a panel bigger than 32" that is still only 720p.

Would imagine that by the time 1080p becomes a broadcast standard, we’ll all be buying 16k TVs.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2751636]Hope you plan on keeping your TV 20+ years, HD broadcast standard is 720P. 10 years after 1080p was introduced as the BluRay standard there are still no stations that actually broadcast at 1080p resolution.[/QUOTE] No, but plenty of stations broadcast at 1080i.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2751620]TBH I don’t really see the point in this until TV stations start broadcasting in UHD.

I’ll wait until then and buy a technically more developed TV for a lot less.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Broadcast TV is becoming less relevant as each year passes. I see 4k content being driven by on demand services like Netflix, Amazon etc. and disc sales in the coming 1-2 years. Since broadcast, cable, Dish, FIOS etc. TV service is seeing declining use I bet they will be far more proactive in providing 4k content. They can’t afford to lose more subscribers due to lack of HQ content.

You are right in that there will likely be further advancement in 4k TVs and connection standards. That is always the case though no matter when you buy.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2751638]No, but plenty of stations broadcast at 1080i.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I was going to say! :iagree:

All the HDTV I watch here is 1080i with Dolby Digital surround sound so it’s a major step up from SD both visually and audibly.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=UTR;2751644]Broadcast TV is becoming less relevant as each year passes. I see 4k content being driven by on demand services like Netflix, Amazon etc. and disc sales in the coming 1-2 years. Since broadcast, cable, Dish, FIOS etc. TV service is seeing declining use I bet they will be far more proactive in providing 4k content. They can’t afford to lose more subscribers due to lack of HQ content.

You are right in that there will likely be further advancement in 4k TVs and connection standards. That is always the case though no matter when you buy.[/QUOTE]

In Europe satellite TV is the major source of HD content and a very large number of people have bought into this through SkyTV which is the dominant provider.

If they upgraded to UHD I reckon this would be a major incentive and I’d buy into this as well.

In the meantime though I’m still happy to watch the prices go down as what I have at present fulfils my current needs.

[B]Wombler[/B]

My first 4k TV will likely be used as a computer monitor. I use Autocad a lot and it is nice to have the extra screen area. I want a 40-50 inch TV for this purpose.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2751609]As for that 55UB8200 being $1300.00, don’t hold your breath.
They were $2400.00 CDN 3 months ago and the latest price has them at $1700.00 CDN.
Big panels still cost Big money.[/QUOTE]

olddancer,

Best Buy Canada currently has it for $1,500 and it was on sale there recently for $1,300. Where do you shop? LOL. :slight_smile:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-55-4k-ultra-hd-120hz-ips-led-smart-tv-55ub8200-55ub8200/10322873.aspx?path=0707218195f1b38a6b4929fe4527e679en02

"olddancer,

Best Buy Canada currently has it for $1,500 and it was on sale there recently for $1,300. Where do you shop? LOL. "

My own store, and they cost me more than $1300.00.
Sadly as one of the last independent standalone stores we can’t sell them as loss leaders and hose the customer on ultra, ultra expensive cables or needless extended warranties (that’s where the chains make the real money).
Diogenes need look no further than our store.
Best Buy is also dumping the substantial excess inventory from Future Shop.