Ultra HD Blu-ray copy software DeUHD: does it really work and does it crack AACS 2.0?

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/ultra-hd-blu-ray-copy-software-deuhd-really-work-crack-aacs-2-0-82631/

At the beginning of this week a new mysterious company with a new mysterious software popped up, Arusoft with DeUHD. The company claimed that its software would be able to copy Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. In a statement to us, the company even stated that it considered AACS 2.0 to be cracked. With a license of €200 ($235) there weren’t many people who wanted to test and potentially lose their money. Therefore the company handed out 5 licenses to randomly selected users and the first results are in.

Someone has to buy it me or anyone else that wants to attempt it the hardware and media before anyone would put that kinda money down for that expensive of hardware to only find out it doesn’t work.

It’s not for me, why would I need or want to back up a 4K movie? So far I’ve never managed to damage a Blu-ray disc and have dropped many. The only real use of this I can see is to give away a copy to a friend, or whatever. I wouldn’t want to do that, they can buy their own, or watch it here with me. The whole thing, including the hardware, discs, both original and blanks and the cost of the app, mmmm not a chance in hell. The only thing I find amusing about this is the CEO of the AACS rushing to the john with a loose bowel. :fearful:

[quote=“voxsmart, post:3, topic:399279, full:true”]The whole thing, including the hardware, discs, both original and blanks and the cost of the app, mmmm not a chance in hell.[/quote]That’s what they don’t want to tell those wanting the software that is iff it it even works. And you think they would’ve did their own testing but from the sounds of it sounds like scam instead. They expect everyone to rush out to buy UHD disk and the drive to burn and the blank media of which would cost a kidney. They can make sure to keep their heads out of where the sun don’t sun first.

Building a system that meets the UHD requirements requires some work and for some a new upgraded system. One could actually accomplish this w/o buying top-of-the-line hardware. Regardless, it’s still money and I’ll concede that point. However, as we all know there will always be people who simply must be running bleeding edge systems. These people already had Kaby Lake before DeUHD and might be building Coffee Lake very soon. So, sure, we see people with older systems wanting to get involved but it’s not like people are already out there who don’t need to buy anything at all to test DeUHD. And no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

For better or worse, there is the very crippled trial version and some selectively handed out free licenses which increases the testing pool. This does make sense when you look at it just like any other piece of software where different operating environments could highlight issues or successes. No different than many normal software developers or even Microsoft, itself.

Is it worth the money to build a system just for UHD? That’s up to the individual. Is it worth it just to test DeUHD? Again, it depends on the individual. Is AACS 2.0 “broken”? IMHO, most likely not given a number of reasons.

I’m neither defending nor attacking DeUHD; Merely pointing out that no one is making anyone do anything or expecting anyone to spend copious amounts of money.

Hi Drinky, Are you playing Captain Obvious? :wink:

Maybe. Maybe not. :wink:

[quote=“DrinkLyeAndDie, post:5, topic:399279, full:true”]
Building a system that meets the UHD requirements requires some work and for some a new upgraded system. One could actually accomplish this w/o buying top-of-the-line hardware. Regardless, it’s still money and I’ll concede that point. However, as we all know there will always be people who simply must be running bleeding edge systems. These people already had Kaby Lake before DeUHD and might be building Coffee Lake very soon. So, sure, we see people with older systems wanting to get involved but it’s not like people are already out there who don’t need to buy anything at all to test DeUHD. And no one is forcing anyone to do anything.[/quote]That isn’t the masses unfortunately. The rest wants a machine to power one and Browse and check email and do Office and some like me watch and burn DVD/BD movie backup but other then being a guinea pig I’ll pass on it.

[quote=“DrinkLyeAndDie, post:5, topic:399279, full:true”]For better or worse, there is the very crippled trial version and some selectively handed out free licenses which increases the testing pool. This does make sense when you look at it just like any other piece of software where different operating environments could highlight issues or successes. No different than many normal software developers or even Microsoft, itself.[/quote]Cripple is a understatement is should be full version license if they really want other to attempt this.

[quote=“DrinkLyeAndDie, post:5, topic:399279, full:true”]Is it worth the money to build a system just for UHD? That’s up to the individual. Is it worth it just to test DeUHD? Again, it depends on the individual. Is AACS 2.0 “broken”? IMHO, most likely not given a number of reasons.[/quote]Just to break UHD when DVD/BD is decrypted already the visual return most likely isn’t worth the Labor and Money that is counted to attempt this effort.

[quote=“DrinkLyeAndDie, post:5, topic:399279, full:true”]I’m neither defending nor attacking DeUHD; Merely pointing out that no one is making anyone do anything or expecting anyone to spend copious amounts of money.[/quote]Actually they said they reward anyone doing it but never mentioned refunding the money and labor they will have to endure to do. If they pay that back then it might be worth it but anyone asking for “free” labor and lost money that can’t be refunded after buying hardware and software to run this program isn’t something that is free.

I won’t deny that there aren’t people who will want to try it that don’t fully meet the requirements and might need to buy something to get there. At present the only real requirement is a compatible UHD or BDXL drive that allows reading UHD discs. A short list but it’s available and a WH16NS40 can be bought for all of $58. That pricing makes it almost too cheap, IMO. That said, I think it makes no sense for someone to purchase an out-dated BDXL drive just to test DeUHD when the method being might be prevented at some point down the road. And, if people don’t already own UHD then it’s silly, indeed.

I’ll agree that PC users fall into different usage camps: (1) bleeding edge users who have to have the biggest baddest systems, (2) people who enjoy building and experimenting with the newer technology as it comes out which isn’t the same as group one, (3) the hardcore PC gamer and these days games are getting more and more hungry for powerful hardware at a faster pace, (4) casual PC gamers who can get by with hardware that is slightly behind the curve, and (5) the person who simply checks email and browses the web as you noted. That last group really is crazy to get involved in testing DeUHD, IMHO, but some people just can’t help themselves.

I fully agree. ~10 minutes of “decrypted” content when it takes as long as it does at such a slow pace really makes it problematic, IMHO. There’s also the fact that there is communication between the user’s PC and Arusoft. What is that communication? There hasn’t really been any transparency. I expect that it is something along the lines of the keys necessary for the decryption process but what else? Anything? Given the infancy of the software and the limited supported discs the product should have been less crippled. Hell, make it fully functional but time-bombed so that every 30 days the version stops working without a new version release.

I agree that the R&D could be very expensive and question the viability of the product making money but if the method does work and isn’t easily blocked in the future then if the technique is perfected more and the supported disc list grows then even with the $235 price tag the software will be worth it for a fair amount of users and at that price if the license orders pile in it could bring in good money. Obviously, whether or not that will cover the original R&D and generate a healthy profit is up in the air.

I had not heard about the reward part. Interesting but vague. But, for some people the satiating their curiosity is reward enough. If they let the people who got the free licenses to test keep the licenses then they might be worth it. That really depends on the peron, obviously.

As a whole, I understand the points you’ve made and can fully understand them and might even agree with quite a bit.

Note: With everything being said, testing the software out definitely interests me but I won’t go through the time and effort just using the trial version.

Well I have a 4KHDR TV now and a Sony X800 4kHDR player I bought myself with my tax refund early this year, I also have a i7 980 1366 setup with a GTX 1070 8 gig card and my box has 16 gig in it. I have a old LG H20l BD drive that I’m sure doesn’t support BDXL or anything but I need to upgrade my BD drive anyways soon just to get better speed and all the latest features. I wonder if the rest of my box running 10pro 64 is up to spec. I’m sure my builder buddy has a few boxes that have everything needed and the latest Intel or AMD thread ripper CPU’s that can do it but doubt he cares.

For a company that says they are adding new 4k movies a week they have not added any since 8-22-17 no way I would I fork out199.99 Euros at this point and I do not believe IMHO they have cracked UHD protections but have found a work around to obtain the accs keys for a few discs.

If they had broken the UHD it would be very simple and they would be able to support all discs.

currently there are about 250 to 300 UHD releases.

I gave it a trial if you can call it that and the limtations are not good if they let you do one full movie decrypted as a trial they would do much better to show their program does what it says it will do.and get people to purchase.

DeUHD has released an update to DeUHD. Previous build was 1.0.0.1 and now it’s 1.0.0.2 and they have also added more supported discs.

Changelog

[quote]1.0.0.2 10/09/2017

• Support to try 3 discs in trial version.
  • Support some new discs, check the details from http://deuhd.ru/4k_uhd_info.html
  • Decrypt all the m2ts files 8~10 minutes in the trial version, means that you can watch the movie with the navigation menu.
  • Improved the rip speed in trial version.[/quote]

Download via the website and for those running ESET, when trying to download the update ESET informed me that the deuhd.ru website is a threat. That’s a new change. I ignored it and also ran the update through VirusTotal. Checked clean, as expected when running a URL scan on the download. Doing a file upload scan AVG, Avast, and Rising flagged it as suspicious. Take that as you will.