Ultimate List of Free Essential Software for your guys

vbimport

Note:If you enjoy this list of software you might find these FREE online applications & tools helpful. Most of them no need to install or download anything, they work in your browser.

1.DVD Burning
Sothink Free Movie DVD Maker– Best Free DVD Maker to Make DVDs.
It helps you to produce selfmade home DVDs out of videos like MP4, AVI, MKV, FLV, WMV, MOV, 3GP, M4V, TS, M2TS…literally every known video format. The created DVD can be saved as an ISO file or a DVD folder stored on your computer hard drive, and it totally depends on you whether to watch it with a video player software, or burn it at a later time to blank DVDs with some other 3rd party burning tools out there.

2.Anti Virus
AVG Anti-Virus – the most popular free solution available at no cost to home users and provides the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers.

Easy to use, low system resources
Automatic update functionality
Real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run
AVG’s Virus Vault for the safe handling of infected files
Note: Avast also offers top rated anti virus protection

3.Personal Firewall
Comodo – The Award-Winning Free Firewall Software

Complete protection from Hackers, Spyware and Identity theft
Secures against internal and external threats
Host Intrusion Prevention System stops malware ever being installed
Delivers total end-point security for Personal Computers and Networks

4.Office Software
OpenOffice – Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute. Includes a robust word processor (Word), spreadsheet (Excel) , presentation (PowerPoint), and database (Access).

5.Photo Organizer
Google’s Picasa – The easy way to share and manage your photos.

Picasa is a free software download from Google that helps you:

• Locate and organize all the photos on your computer.
  • Edit and add effects to your photos with a few simple clicks.
  • Share your photos with others through email, prints, and on the web: it’s fast, easy and free.

Take your photos further with Picasa from Google.

Direct link: Picasa for Linux

6.Music Player & Organizer
A big thanks to Brian for leaving a lot of great suggestions in his comment. He’s right, iTunes can make me crazy sometimes. I guess I have a soft spot for it because it helped me get into podcasting. But one of his suggestions is a downright winner (sorry iTunes).

SongBird – Not only does Songbird have everything you’d want in an audio program it also comes with a full library of add-ons. Customize your player ’til your hearts content.

7.Drawing & Photography
Gimp – This software is a free photo editing software that is a decent replacement for Photoshop. It’s good for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.

If you’re used to Photoshop Gimp takes some getting used to. I still use it regularly because there is such a strong community providing great help and resources. Look for some tutorials online (there are tons of them).

8.Screen Capture/Recording
CamStudio replaces expensive Camtasia recording software.
CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer
and create industry-standard AVI video files and using its built-in
SWF Producer can turn those AVIs into lean, mean, bandwidth-friendly
Streaming Flash videos (SWFs)

Here are just a few ways you can use this software:

(1)You can use it to create demonstration videos for any software program or how about creating a set of videos answering your most
frequently asked questions?
(2)You can create video tutorials for school or college class
(3)You can use it to record a recurring problem with your computer
so you can show technical support people
(4)You can use it to create video-based information products you can sell
(5)You can even use it to record new tricks and techniques you discover
on your favourite software program, before you forget them.

9.Screen Capture (for quickies)
Jing– If you need to make a quick screencast of your computer desktop Jing is your best buddy. It’s drop dead easy and gives you either a flash file or it uploads it automatically and provides you a link to send someone. The biggest limitation is that it only lets you do 5 minutes (but who wants to watch a screencast longer than 5 minutes anyway). I’ve been using this for a year or more and turn to it often.

10.Media Player
VideoLAN – VLC media player – Thanks to Steele in the comments for suggesting this one. When I can’t get a different media player to run my movie files VLC always does. VLC supports a huge amount of video and audio formats. The interface is simple and clean. I know this will be a program I use for a very long time. Thanks again Steele!

From VLC’s website:

• It is a free cross-platform media player
  • It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for additional codecs
  • It can also be used as a streaming server, with extended features (video on demand, on the fly transcoding, …)

11.Audio Recording
Audacity – a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. You can use Audacity to:

• Record live audio.
  • Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
  • Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, and WAV sound files.
  • Cut, copy, splice, and mix sounds together.
  • Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
  • And more!

12.3D Modeling
Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems.

Features include:

Revolutionary non-overlapping and non-blocking UI delivers unsurpassed workflow
A range of 3D object types including polygon meshes, NURBS surfaces, bezier and B-spline curves, metaballs, vector fonts (TrueType, PostScript, OpenType)
Fast skeleton creation mode
Automated walkcycles along paths
Diffuse shaders such as Lambert, Minnaert, Toon, Oren-Nayar, Lambert
Realtime 3D/Game Creation

13.Video Editing
Avidemux – a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.

14.File Compression/Zip
7-zip

Supported formats:
Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
For ZIP and GZIP formats,7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
Self-extracting capability for 7z format
Integration with Windows Shell
Powerful File Manager
Powerful command line version

15.FTP Software
FileZilla – a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive interface.

Easy to use
Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, OSX and more
Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
Drag & drop support
Configurable Speed limits
Filename filters
Network configuration wizard

First of all, welcome to the forum albertsmithss :flower:

Great list :iagree:

Also welcome and thanks for the list