Ultimate Cinavia Guide: The protection that refuses to be silenced

vbimport

[QUOTE=Wombler;2745197]It’s on a few DVDs but not that many of them. Presumably because of licensing costs and the fact it doesn’t affect people using standalone DVD players.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Indeed. I’ve met one and cannot get my DVD copied. I noticed DVDFab was able to do so, but it cost to much. I gave up.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2693513]The list of movies with Cinavia that DVDFab compiled a while back includes titles from Warner Brothers, Universal Studios, Disney and 20th Century Fox. All of these are major studios, not just distribution companies. Of course, there are very few movies from anyone besides Sony Pictures that have Cinavia, and it looks like the others are simply testing the waters so far.

The list can be seen here: http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html[/QUOTE]

That LIST ↑ has been proven wrong for me atleast in the past !!
Some of the movies in that ↑ “LIST” JUST DO NOT CONTAIN sighs of cinavia protection!

Iam talking about movies i own on Bluray and DVD aswell !!
I have tested those movies from that list and did not GET ANY MESSAGES regarding cinavia !!

Movies such as:

47 Ronin (Bluray) → No messages or muted sound = no cinavia …right?
Kick Ass 2 (DVD & Bluray = i own both) → same deal ↑
Social Network (DVD) = “”

And NO, those movies HAVE NOT BEEN EDITED / ALTERED by DVDranger prior to backup !!

I have posted my findings a long time ago at dvd fab forums …

But it seems fab chose to ignore my findings !! Since, they still haven’t corrected that ↑ list :rolleyes: !!

But i noticed they did [S]deleted[/S] other movies from their so acclaimed list!!

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2745204]That LIST ↑ has been proven wrong for me atleast in the past !!
Some of the movies in that ↑ “LIST” JUST DO NOT CONTAIN sighs of cinavia protection!
[/QUOTE]

Some movies on the list only have Cinavia on some editions. For example, they may have Cinavia on the US releases, but not on the European ones. I think that’s the case with [B]47 Ronin[/B] and [B]Kick Ass 2[/B].

So the very best strategy to get rid of Cinavia might in many cases be to simply look around and order a different edition that comes without Cinavia. Then you need not worry about any degradation of sound that Cinavia, its removal and re-encoding of the soundtrack would cause.

Look for the asterisks or hash-marks in DVDFab’s list. Those titles are likely to be found in Cinavia free editions in some countries.
http://blog.dvdfab.cn/cinavia-protection.html

“So the very best strategy to get rid of Cinavia might in many cases be to simply look around and order a different edition that comes without Cinavia. Then you need not worry about any degradation of sound that Cinavia, its removal and re-encoding of the soundtrack would cause.”

To my ears there is very little sound degradation (if any) after running through “Cinex-HD”:wink:

That depends on what level of audio you’re happy with.

A lot of the people into Blu-ray tend to want it for the high quality video/audio and have expensive sound systems.

Even the difference between HD Audio and Dolby 5.1 is too much of a decrease in quality for some audiophiles.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=mosis14;2752539]“So the very best strategy to get rid of Cinavia might in many cases be to simply look around and order a different edition that comes without Cinavia. Then you need not worry about any degradation of sound that Cinavia, its removal and re-encoding of the soundtrack would cause.”

To my ears there is very little sound degradation (if any) after running through “Cinex-HD”;)[/QUOTE]

Just go to Ebay and buy a Bluray player made before 2012, its so easy and there are 100s to choose from, I got 2 OPPO 93s for 250 bucks, and that was for 2 of them. The guy even still had the original boxes.

I have the Oppo 105d Darbie Edition and never have the issue its hooked up to a Denon AVR‑X7200W " 9.2/that can differentiate 11.2 an 13.2" with 19 speakers set up for Atmos /True audio 7.1 , just select the audio level to the level you want it upscales just about any thing I can run through it.

I can understand if you have and off the shelf standard consumer sound system 2.1-5.1 even some 7.1 . along with 1 sub and 2 speakers or even 1 sub and 4 speakers it is going to sound iffy , but as the old saying is you get what you can afford and pay for the level you want to hear.

I NEVER see the Cinavia interference with any of my Bd back ups with CinEx HD , The Audio I make it what I want it to sound , but when you spend the bucks you get what you pay for and what your willing to hear. My wife complains it tends to loosen the wall paper when you play Startrek or Avitar.

Whoa is me, I only have 5 speakers, I am poor.:sad:

Alan those took several years several home theater receivers , and watching closely Amazon -Ebay-New egg sales Craiglist, garage sales. .

It all comes down to just how bad you want home theater sound , Plus living on 5 acres helps not bothering neighbors when you CRANK IT UP

[QUOTE=alan1476;2752581]Just go to Ebay and buy a Bluray player made before 2012, its so easy and there are 100s to choose from, I got 2 OPPO 93s for 250 bucks, and that was for 2 of them. The guy even still had the original boxes.[/QUOTE]

I bought my Blu-ray player back then and needless to say I’m not thinking of upgrading, or should that be downgrading perhaps? :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DVDRangerForum;2752600]Plus living on 5 acres helps not bothering neighbors when you CRANK IT UP[/QUOTE]

It’s not about volume though it’s actual sound quality.

My system can go up to deafening levels but it’s never cranked up beyond comfortable settings.

We’re in a semi-detached house so our neighbours house connects with ours.

When I got the system I cranked up the volume to louder than I’d ever want and went and listened from inside next door. You couldn’t hear it as the speakers are correctly positioned and the sound insulation between our houses is very good.

It’s the detail and dynamics in the audio that impress me so HD Audio is one of my priorities when watching movies.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I still use stereo 2 channel . I only have two ears but if I start growing more I will see if I can find some headphones to accommodate . It should be an interesting look if I need 5 or 7 channel headphones.
My home stereo has 7 speakers btw but they are wired stereo because that sounds best to my ears.

Back in the day a friend of mine had one of the large Pioneer receiver amps.
250 watts per channel with 500 watt peaks on the analog meters.
He had it cranked up & a large bronze eagle he had setting on one of the speakers vibrated over & touched the plate glass window next to his patio doors. The result was a shattered plate glass window. The speakers he had were rated to handle this level. I don’t remember the brand but the woofers were 18 inches & the speaker cabinets were very heavy.

I recently purchased a Samsung DVD player. I get a Cinavia audio mute message on various DVDs I have played. These have been DVDs purchased from local merchants, or rented from Red Box or Netflix. These have not necessarily been Blue Ray DVDs. (I live in a remote mountain area with limited internet service and yes I still watch DVDs….as there is also no TV service). Is there a fix?

[QUOTE=NPM;2781265]I recently purchased a Samsung DVD player. I get a Cinavia audio mute message on various DVDs I have played. These have been DVDs purchased from local merchants, or rented from Red Box or Netflix. These have not necessarily been Blue Ray DVDs. (I live in a remote mountain area with limited internet service and yes I still watch DVDs….as there is also no TV service). Is there a fix?[/QUOTE]

That shouldn’t be happening for a couple of reasons. Original discs, even rentals, should not be causing the Cinavia trigger in a player. And secondly, a DVD player should not have Cinavia detection installed. So far, we have only seen it in Blu-ray players and software players for computers.

The only legal recourse you have with the rentals is to complain to the company that you rented from and ask for a refund. Good luck with that with Redbox. Netflix might be more responsive.

For DVD’s that you have purchased, you can rip them to the hard drive and watch from the computer or watch on the tv from the computer with a streaming media box of some sort, like a WD TV Live or Roku. MakeMKV is free to use to decrypt and rip DVD’s in MKV format.

That’s correct, it would have to be a Blu-ray player for any of the Cinavia warnings to appear.

For dedicated DVD players, manufacturers are required to only to support the ratified DVD hardware specifications and Cinavia support lies completely outside this.

It would hypothetically be possible to build a Blu-ray player and limit it to playback of DVDs but at a practical level though there’s no point in any vendor going to the trouble of doing this. due to the additional cost of licensing fees and additional hardware required, and the fact that DVD players aren’t required to support this anyway.

So it must be a Blu-ray player and as you say, either they’ve given NPM non-original discs, or there’s some unusual fault with the Blu-ray player.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I was just looking at a preview of a film called “The meddler” 2015 on the “IMB” website and I think that may be an infected with the big C one as it is a “Sony classic”

All I can say is this program works. I bought it a few days ago and have used it on 5 movies so far and it took Cinavia right out. I’ve played them and notice no degradation of audio. Dunno why so many people seem to skeptical about this program without even trying it. DVDFab is the only other program offers similar Cinavia removal (DVDFAb probably stole it from them) and it’s more expensive and doesn’t have nearly the database that CinexHD has. I don’t burn that many DVDs anymore but when I do it for a Cinavia protected movie, this program does the trick for me. There are two options to use, one that doesn’t use a database and will mask Cinavia so the player chip doesn’t pick it up but there is a chance of some audio issues. The other is using the Database and this one removes Cinavia, not just cover it up, with no audio issues that I’ve noticed so far.

What DVD players that has a usb stick that will not detect this? I had an LG but no loner have it so I need a newer player.

Only Blu-ray players detect Cinavia so any dedicated DVD player with a USB facility will provide what you need.

The exact models available differ depending on which country you’re in but if you search for “DVD player with USB port” in Google you’ll find some to choose from.

So which is the best program to completely remove this protection without loosing any of the sound quality of the source disc?