Ulead MovieFactory - Always Freezes

Ulead MovieFactory always starts up fine and goes on to recode the DVD and I leave it running over night and When I come back it has froze and their is an error.

Also I decided to re-install and try Nero again, and it went thought without error but then hung during the recode stage,

Any idea what the problem is, I really would love a solution as I have so many home movies on my computer I need to put on dvd!

This is the output from eventvwr:

==================================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 23/07/2007
Time: 01:31:52
User: N/A
Computer: I-FRIEND
Description:
Faulting application dvdmf.exe, version 6.0.0.0, faulting module uvavi.vio, version 6.0.0.0, fault address 0x00032746.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 64 76 64 ure dvd
0018: 6d 66 2e 65 78 65 20 36 mf.exe 6
0020: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 .0.0.0 i
0028: 6e 20 75 76 61 76 69 2e n uvavi.
0030: 76 69 6f 20 36 2e 30 2e vio 6.0.
0038: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0040: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0048: 30 33 32 37 34 36 0d 0a 032746…

Try running Memtest86 from a floppy or CD overnight to check for memory errors. There should be “0” errors.

If your video is already in DVD compliant MPEG-2, you can bypass re-encoding by using a simple authoring tool like TMPGEnc-Author. It’ll create DVD files in a few minutes.

Hey thanks for the reply, where could i get this memtest thing? It happens irrelevant of the recoding software i tried TMPGEnc before and it kept freezing too. The video is all fine, its not corrupted or anything.

Memtest86

Hey I found it, and run it last night, the results were not good, lol.

I got Pass, 14 Errors, 5120 and most of the fails came on test 5 and 6 so how do i fix these errors, do i need another program for this?

Do you have the RAM overclocked? IF not, then it should be replaced. The other possible cause for RAM errors would be having the wrong timings set. But if it’s all at “auto” or default settings, then it’s bad RAM.

Anyway, I’ll wager that this is the source of your problems. If you have 2 sticks in there, you can try removing one then re-test, then swap and test again. You might find that only one stick is bad.

I forgot to mention. In Memtest86, tests #5 and #6 are the most common ones that turn up faulty memory. You can set the program to run only those tests if you wish, which will shorten the time required to run a thorough test. 10 passes would be a good number to run for troubleshooting, but 20 might be better for thoroughness.

Hey thanks for all your help how would i know if my ram is overclocked?

Oh i just found a RAM checking utility and its sitting at about 50% doing nothing, with no programs running but xp, and CPU at 0% So i guess it could be overclocked, im so bad with computers, how could i fix this, i might just replace the RAM, is that the best idea?

If you don’t know what overclocking is, then the odds are good it’s not overclocked. Like I said, if there’s 2 sticks, figure out which is the bad one and replace it with identical RAM. Or, buy a 2-stick special and replace it all. Easiest way to know what you have is to open the case and look. Your PC’s maker can tell you what it uses also.

But yes, the short answer is that you have bad RAM.

Ah, well, I have replaced my RAM and the error still persists! I am now , after it has an error and freezes, I am getting the could not be written error. I have removed my divx codex, and changed some of the code in the windows handler to try and resolve this but still, nothing. Don’t know what else to try now!

Ulead products suck when it comes to uninstalling.
You could try this solution.

Thanks, its not only ulead its nero, ulead and roxio basically any dvd recoding software fails ! weirdness

I am begining to think it is a codex problem, since the error is in the uvavi.somethingorother file, so i think maybe my divx or something is out of date, but i am using the ffdshowcodec pack could this be causing problems?

When you say it happens during the recoding, an overheating processor is often the cause of lock-ups as well as it’s working at 100% load for an extended period of time. Try running with the PC-case cover or side-panel off.

My computer was overheating before, so I drilled holes in the casing and installed a second fan along with pulling off the cover for my extra cd drive space, you think this could still be overheating with all these changes?

EDIT!
I just replaed a uvavi.vio file with the uvavi.vio file from the ulead website now it wont open avi’s so if anyone was going to suggest this its not a good idea :S

A poorly installed or underdimensioned heatsink/fan on the CPU could still cause overheating, even with proper case ventilation (what you’ve done there might not be ideal to establish a good airflow pattern inside the case either, so taking the whole cover off might still help).

Many motherboard manufacturers provide a utility to monitor temps etc. in Windows, or there’s generic programs like Speedfan or NextSensor which you can install for this purpose as well. Temp readings in the BIOS are another reference (but obviously you can’t check those immediately when it happens).

Thanks Ill try monitoring to see if it is still over heating.

Right now it says: HD1:46C AND HD0:47C Temp1:21C This is pretty high no? Especially as its doing nothing much.

Oh Woe! I got my PC HD temps down to 35c AND 36c which I assume can only be a good thing. Now, when I first start Ulead I get the memory cannot be read and then followed by memory cannot be written errors, thanks for the advice about over heating my pc is running much better now.

OK I am pretty sure this is a codec issue now, But i need help, I downlaoded GSpot and tested my avi files, and i got, such and such could not be rendered, how do I remove references to codecs that I dont have? And how do i remove all the codec that are problems as listed in Gspot?