UK ISP deletes records of 20,000 alleged file-sharers

vbimport

UK ISP deletes records of 20,000 alleged file-sharers.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/11/Y6uO8j.jpg[/newsimage]UK record label Ministry of Sound was in the midst of legal action against 25,000 customers of ISP BT Broadband for illegal file-sharing. That is, until this week when they found out that BT had deleted over 20,000 of the requested records.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/uk-isp-deletes-records-of-20000-alleged-file-sharers-36183/](http://www.myce.com/news/uk-isp-deletes-records-of-20000-alleged-file-sharers-36183/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

See, now I wish I could subscribe to that ISP, they actually care about their customers.

LOL…they actually care about their customers? How exactly, by letting their customers get away with piracy?

[QUOTE=Chimera1970;2554708]LOL…they actually care about their customers? How exactly, by letting their customers get away with piracy?[/QUOTE]

Nice presumption of guilt there. Just because some company says they are guilty, doesn’t make it so.

Screw these corporations who think that they can decide guilt or innocence outside a judge and jury. Don’t drink their kool-aid.

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2554702]See, now I wish I could subscribe to that ISP, they actually care about their customers.[/QUOTE] It’s just part of their policy.

In the additional time it took for Ministry of Sound to follow through with the requested privacy safeguards, BT deleted 20,000 of the records by following their standard operation procedures.

“All such information is automatically deleted from our systems after 90 days in accordance with our data retention policy

This is rich! So BT has a policy of destroying the data over a period of 90 days and The Ministry Of Sound can’t actually get the necessary data in that same 90 days. :slight_smile:

I just LOVE it when “the system” actually is used to obliterate this kind of usage of kinda the same system! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2554702]See, now I wish I could subscribe to that ISP, they actually care about their customers.[/QUOTE]

As much as you’d like to think BT doesn’t care so much about their subscribers as they do about their ability to pay their BT bills after facing a huge lawsuit/fine from the content industry. In this economy it’s survival of the fittest. Would you (as an ISP) want to put 20,000 customers at risk of not being able to afford telecom services? I think not. It’s not an uncommon practice… the USA isp’s have selectively lost or never recorded data when it suits/protects their interests/liabilities for quite some time. All in the interest of keeping that money flowing in.

The final Harry Potter book is split into 2 movies… By the time the people who download that movie are investigated the records are gone… then it’s on to the second movie… and so on…

Good job BT. Regardless of the reason. Whether you intentionally chose not to divulge your customer’s records or the unintentional deleting of them.