Uk broadband which isp

Having used the following isp,s in the past BT, FREESERVE (on aol just now)
im looking at changing again thinking of PIPEX or even back to maybe BT or ORANGE
Some things to consider is i have 3 computers in the house (2 sons use a lot) and download a bit myself also :bigsmile:
thats basically why im on aol as i think they are not so picky with fair usage etc but the service is mince…
I would love to go back to BT but someone told me they are very picky with download limits
thats even before we talk about traffic shaping etc etc
So all you guys with a british isp which one based on the above do you recommend

btw please dont link me to the adsl site i have read it

Virgin have been good to me. Got a cable line though. :wink:

A fair few people talk of being throttled, but I haven’t experienced any yet personally, and I manage to DL what I need OK. They don’t seem that picky with the fair useage, and even if you do get throttled (for a limited time) the speeds are still acceptable.

Good speeds most of the time, too.

Im with Be on there unlimited package. Unlimited download, no capping very nice, sweet as a nut. Was on pipex before but they started to throttle, once they did that i left.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Virgin have been really sucky to me with their throttling…from what I hear if you can get Be then you very much should!

Thinking of switching away from Virgin myself at the moment…

thanks guys i will have another look as Be was not one of the ones i thought would be good…(in fact i had not really heard of them up here in the top of scotland…

I’m with Be* as well.

I just joined them about a month ago. I migrated to Be* from Tiscali. I really hated Tiscali’s terrible traffic shaping and throttling policy which is the reason why I left them.

I’m currently on the Be* Value package - 8 Mbps ADSL2+ Unlimited Broadband and completely unthrottled. They do of course operate a Fair Use Policy as well but as far as I know, it has not been invoked yet by any Be* customer to date.

And just another note, O2 Broadband uses the same network equipment as Be*. Be* are owned by O2 and O2 are owned by Telofonica. So if you’re a Be* customer, you’ll be put on the O2 LLU. If you’re an O2 customer, then you’ll be put on the O2 LLU anyway.

There are rumours going around that Be* and O2 are going to merge into one ISP in the coming months.

As for the service I’m getting with Be*, well I can’t really comment about it at the moment because I’ve only been with them for 1 month. I think its fairer if I post an opinion about my experience with Be* when I’ve been with them for at least 6 months.

Only trouble is i cant get LLU where i live just now
but its interesting to read O2 and BE* are the same
thanks for the info soneman

Anything but AOL.

Overpriced, poor service and spy on their customers.

[QUOTE=madmax;1925328]Only trouble is i cant get LLU where i live just now
but its interesting to read O2 and BE* are the same
thanks for the info soneman[/QUOTE]

Be* were taken over by O2 about a year ago so it always made sense that O2 would use Be* for rolling out the O2 Broadband network.

You mentioned that your exchange is not LLU enabled. But if your exchange is not LLU enabled, then who can you sign up for? Just BT?

Your list of options in the poll don’t make sense because Talk Talk, Bulldog and AOL are all on the Carphone Warehouse LLU.

Sky and UK Online are on the EasyNet LLU.

Pipex, Tiscali and Eclipse are all on the Tiscali LLU.

Orange and Virgin are also on their own individual LLU systems as well. I can’t be sure of the other ISPs in your list but how do you plan on joining one of these ISPs if your exchange isn’t LLU enabled? :confused:

[QUOTE=soneman;1925943]Be* were taken over by O2 about a year ago so it always made sense that O2 would use Be* for rolling out the O2 Broadband network.

You mentioned that your exchange is not LLU enabled. But if your exchange is not LLU enabled, then who can you sign up for? Just BT?

Your list of options in the poll don’t make sense because Talk Talk, Bulldog and AOL are all on the Carphone Warehouse LLU.

Sky and UK Online are on the EasyNet LLU.

Pipex, Tiscali and Eclipse are all on the Tiscali LLU.

Orange and Virgin are also on their own individual LLU systems as well. I can’t be sure of the other ISPs in your list but how do you plan on joining one of these ISPs if your exchange isn’t LLU enabled? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Most of those ISPs have non-llu lines too.

Yes most have none LLU lines also im on AOL just now and have been on BT and FREESERVE/WANADOO/ORANGE…

[QUOTE=Feena;1926132]Most of those ISPs have non-llu lines too.[/QUOTE]

They’re not owned by them though.

As far as I know, non-LLU lines have to be hired by an ISP in order for the ISP to provide a Broadband service on that line.

The ISP has to pay BT for the use of BT’s equipment at the exchange. So its obviously going to be more expensive for the ISP to run their Broadband services in non-LLU areas.

If you’re in a LLU area, your ISP will [I]always[/I] put you on their own LLU just so they can avoid paying BT the fees for access to the line. Even if it means giving you an unstable connection on LLU where normally with the BT equipment, you would have a stable connection.

Tiscali did this to me back in August 2006. I still haven’t forgiven them. :a

I am with Tiscali. £17.99 a month for 8 meg- I actually connect at 7.2- considering I live in the further than the arse end of beyond, it is really good. It includes free national and local phone calls at anytime.

I have a [I]lot of internet activity[/I] :wink: and have never been capped. I thoroughly recommend them. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=nathanll;1926868]considering I live in the further than the arse end of beyond[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha :wink:

[QUOTE=nathanll;1926868]I am with Tiscali. £17.99 a month for 8 meg- I actually connect at 7.2- considering I live in the further than the arse end of beyond, it is really good. It includes free national and local phone calls at anytime.

I have a [I]lot of internet activity[/I] :wink: and have never been capped. I thoroughly recommend them. :)[/QUOTE]

What are your downloads like between 6pm and 12 Midnight?

Mine were heavily throttled.

[QUOTE=soneman;1926753]They’re not owned by them though.

As far as I know, non-LLU lines have to be hired by an ISP in order for the ISP to provide a Broadband service on that line.

The ISP has to pay BT for the use of BT’s equipment at the exchange. So its obviously going to be more expensive for the ISP to run their Broadband services in non-LLU areas.

If you’re in a LLU area, your ISP will [I]always[/I] put you on their own LLU just so they can avoid paying BT the fees for access to the line. Even if it means giving you an unstable connection on LLU where normally with the BT equipment, you would have a stable connection.

Tiscali did this to me back in August 2006. I still haven’t forgiven them. :a[/QUOTE]

What you say is true but i dont have any other option as LLU is not availible
well as yet anyway.
Im thinking of going with PIPEX unless anyone can give me a verg good reason not to…

[QUOTE=madmax;1933504]Im thinking of going with [B]PIPEX[/B] unless anyone can give me a verg good reason not to…[/QUOTE]

my EX’s uncle was with them, he said they had a crap service, he couldn’t wait for the year to be up so he could move.

that was about 4-5 years ago right enough, they may have got better

[QUOTE=madmax;1933504]What you say is true but i dont have any other option as LLU is not availible
well as yet anyway.
Im thinking of going with PIPEX unless anyone can give me a verg good reason not to…[/QUOTE]

Well, Pipex are owned by Tiscali so I wouldn’t count on them being any better than your current ISP AOL.

thanks i dont want Tiscali
pipex is tiscali
aol are now carphone warehouse
freeserve/wanadoo is now orange
o2 is be
maybe i will have to do some more homework :doh:

Maybe you should go over to the thinkbroadband.com forums and ask them which ISP is the best out of the ones you’ve listed in this poll.

They should be able to give you much more informed replies.