UH OH! SecuRom at it again..?

Has anyone here updated Fellowship of the Rings?

It’s either a astronomic coincidence or this new update disables virtual drives!

I just updated LOTR and played for a while. When I tried to load an image into Daemon: no go…hmmm

Tried to load one into Alcohold VD: no go…hmmm

Tried the CCD VD: nada…hmmm

Restarted PC: everything is fine; images load and play.

Played LOTR, tried the virtual drives again: NOPE…

Anyone else experience this?

That is very possible,
the securom guard module tries to detect these virtual drives. (copystar, playbackup, fantomcd, alcohol,…)

I wouldn’t say it “disables” the drives… but definatly considers this as a “wrong disc inserted”, you know :wink:

d-tools being the best bet for me… as you can change about all its settings… try filling the device name with random values or known drives names.

they have been disabling virtual drives for ages now and i for one think that this is an illegal thing to do:a

1. I don’t know who’s been “disabling virtual drives for ages”, but i own well over 300 games dating back to '95 or so, including the latest (WC3, UT2003, Hitman 2, Arx Fatalis, blah, blah, blah) and NO update has EVER disabled my virtual drives (notice i said “my” virtual drives. I don’t know what kind of problems you’ve run into). They may render a back-up useless for me, but that’s about it.

2. When i say disable, i don’t mean that i get the “wrong disc inserted” message. I mean the drive is DISABLED. It will NOT LOAD an image. The drive still exists, it’s listed as “working” in the device manager, but just won’t work.

I’ll try changing the names of the devices tho, thanx for that suggestion…

what a load of crap dude why do you think programs like daemon tools has to update and change the virtual drive name all the time because the updated copy protections disable them/blacklist them

RTFM.

Originally posted by slayerking
what a load of crap dude why do you think programs like daemon tools has to update and change the virtual drive name all the time because the updated copy protections disable them/blacklist them

oh, yeah! that’s right slayerking! you’ve lived with me all my life and seen my virtual drives disabled with your own eyes! thanks for the reminder! silly me…for some reason i’m suddenly baffled by something that’s happened to me dozens of times over the years (or is it hundreds of times. bah, i’ll just let slayerking tell me, since he knew that my previous statement is a “load of crap” he must also know the answer to this one). oh, and best of all (and for reasons known only to slayerking), i’ll lie about it and NOT present the facts, that way no-one will really know what’s going on and won’t be able to figure out a solution! yeah, that’s the way to solve a problem! it all makes perfect sense…

of course i’ve had my virtual drives blacklisted before. i update whatever game title, it blacklists my virtual drive, and the game will no longer play. blacklisted…BUT i’ve still been able to load other images and play…

however, what has never happened is that i CAN’T even load an image onto the virtual drive. ERRRRR “disabled”, won’t load! to “me” that’s different than blacklisted.

my apologies to the rest of the forum readers for the rant

originally posted by slayerking

because the updated copy protections disable them

dude you should really read replies PROPERLY before you reply

originally posted by ISOman

@ slayer king and doug

1. I don’t know who’s been “disabling virtual drives for ages”, but i own well over 300 games dating back to '95 or so, including the latest (WC3, UT2003, Hitman 2, Arx Fatalis, blah, blah, blah) and NO update has EVER disabled my virtual drives (notice i said “my” virtual drives. I don’t know what kind of problems you’ve run into). They may render a back-up useless for me, but that’s about it.

2. When i say disable, i don’t mean that i get the “wrong disc inserted” message. I mean the drive is DISABLED. It will NOT LOAD an image. The drive still exists, it’s listed as “working” in the device manager, but just won’t work.

one minute you say they have never EVER been disabled by an update. Then in the very next paragraph you say they have been disabled.:confused: :confused: :confused:
make up your mind

@ ISOMAN, if you would describe clearly your symptoms with the virtual drives AFTER you install the update, im sure that Slayerking and Doug will tell you that is the common symptoms for having your Virtual drives Blacklisted.

I say clearly because you contradict yourself several time in your posts. EG: .

Restarted PC: everything is fine; images load and play.
Played LOTR, tried the virtual drives again: NOPE…

One minute its working after a reboot, then its not working :confused:

Regarding the blacklisting, Perhaps this hasnt happened to you before, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

You came here for an answer, You were given one, now you argue, mainly with slayerking, who told you that this has happened on other games as well.

Why not ask him for the names of other games this has effected as opposed to accusing him of talking falses?

You have only been here less than 2 months now, its not a good idea to make enemies of those who have been here much longer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Huzzy
“@ ISOMAN, if you would describe clearly your symptoms with the virtual drives AFTER you install the update, im sure that Slayerking and Doug will tell you that is the common symptoms for having your Virtual drives Blacklisted.”

ok, i’ll try it a different way: after i updated and played LOTR my virtual drives won’t mount any images. it’s not that the game won’t play, it’s that the VD’s get completely disabled (this goes beyond the blacklisting that i’ve already said i have experienced on other occasions. IF this is a supposed “normal” occurrence of a “blacklist”, so be it. now i know. It still had NEVER happened to me before hence my original question).

“I say clearly because you contradict yourself several time in your posts. EG: .
One minute its working after a reboot, then its not working :confused:

if you could point out the contradiction in that statement, please fill me in. the point is clear: when i play the updated version of LOTR, the VD’s get disabled; i can’t even mount an image (any image, not just LOTR) let alone play one, until i reboot. when i reboot, the VD’s are working again. if i play LOTR, they get disabled again, until i reboot. there is no contradiction since i’m describing what happens before and after i run and play the updated version of LOTR and then after i reboot.

“Regarding the blacklisting, Perhaps this hasnt happened to you before, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen.”

couldn’t agree with you more. BUT, when slayerking “thinks” i’m saying that i’ve never been “blacklisted”, HE’S the one that says it’s “a load of crap”, because obviously, if it’s happened to him it MUST be happening to EVERYONE else. again, even a semi-careful reading of my previous post would reveal the following quote: “of course i’ve had my virtual drives blacklisted before. i update whatever game title, it blacklists my virtual drive, and the game will no longer play…BUT i’ve still been able to load other images and play…” so i don’t see why you think “perhaps this hasn’t happened to you before…”?

“You came here for an answer, You were given one, now you argue, mainly with slayerking, who told you that this has happened on other games as well.”

1. I asked if anyone had the same experience after updating LOTR. the “answer” i got was: “they have been disabling virtual drives for ages now”; hardly an answer to my question. i don’t even know if slayerking owns a copy of LOTR, which is what i’m concerned with at the moment.
2. I never argued the point “that this has happened on other games as well.” again i quote from my previous post:
“NO update has EVER disabled my virtual drives (notice i said “my” virtual drives. I don’t know what kind of problems you’ve run into).”
as you can clearly see, i acknowledge that he (and probably others) may have had this problem when i say that “i don’t know what kind of problems you’ve run into”. and again, i’m talking about disabled NOT blacklisted.

“Why not ask him for the names of other games this has effected as opposed to accusing him of talking falses?”

because that is irrelevant, since i believe him when he says it’s happened to him before. i NEVER accused him of “talking falses”. he stated that “they” had been doing it for ages and i was saying i don’t know who “they” are since it’s never happened to me and i have no games to look back on to see who “they” might be. are “they” SecuRom (agreed this is the obvious choice), or is it Surreal (did they add something to the update), or is it Black Label Games (do theyeven have anything to do with it)? he, on the other hand was the one that said that what i was talking about was “a load of crap”.

"You have only been here less than 2 months now, its not a good idea to make enemies of those who have been here much longer "

i fully respect the people that have been posting here longer than me. however, the number of posts made does not necessarily correlate with an intelligent response. nor does my “join date” correlate with how long i’ve been using copy programs and virtual drives. doug, on the other hand, actually gave me suggestion to try out. thanx doug!

bottom line is: i’ve had my virtual drives blacklisted before but NOT DISABLED!

slayerking: "one minute you say they have never EVER been disabled by an update. Then in the very next paragraph you say they have been disabled.
make up your mind "

[B] i’ll take the high road here for the sake of peace and i will amicably explain what YOU see as a contradiction: I’ve NEVER had a virtual drive DISABLED (not blacklisted ) UNTIL i updated LOTR. so UNTIL LOTR it had NEVER happened, now it has. quite simple really. i think the saying goes: “there’s a first time for everything”. which is what the original question is all about. does that clear it up a bit?

thanx for the replies…[/B]

:cop: ´¯°¤.¸.¤ everyone pay attention ¤.¸.¤°´¯ :cop:

…slow down and be nice.

@slayerking, “crap” is a reserved word like LPT1, COM1 etc; only alexnoe is allowed to use it, so don’t “crap” in my forum.

@FutureProof

You missed out the most important reserved word: con :slight_smile:

@ISOman

Indeed, it is unusual for a drive to be disabled by a game. Calm down!

This by the way is a CloneCD forum, your query is not about CloneCD.

You guys are right. no need to get all bent out of shape over a misunderstanding.

My appologies to slayerking and Huzzy.

It’s just that, even though i’ve only signed up for membership recently, i’ve been reading this forum for quite a while, and all too often i see someone telling someone else how they didn’t do this or they didn’t do that or how it is impossible that they did this or that, yada yada yada…

if i don’t buy the statement being made, i simply ignore it. telling someone that something did or did not happen when you were not present to make any kind of observation is ridiculous at best.

for example: when the bwa builder first came out i noticed that it could convert an mds file to a bwa. the mds file i had for UT2003 was very good, so i converted it and burned my cd…worked like a charm, so i suggested that procedure in a post. i don’t think ANYBODY had success with it: my bad. BUT, one post said, and i quote: “ISOman you funny guy. I tried the same and BWA Builder tells me a error message: “This is not a valid MDS file”. It doesn’t work!” this was posted by mafiamafiamafia .

so my question is: “if it doesn’t work, how come in Future Proofs ‘BWA’s files for download’ post, the person submitting the Who Wants to be a Millionaire BWA file says that he converted an mds to BWA?” The answer is: because it obviously works for some, it just didn’t work for mafiamafiamafia. but he calls me a “funny guy” and tells me how it doesn’t work . Like Huzzy alluded to: just because something does or doesn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean it does or doesn’t happen to EVERYONE. so, if you wanna make a “blanket statement”, you get burned.

anyway, my appologies again to slayerking and Huzzy and thanks to FP and AtomicX for the tranquilizing influence in the forum. Good job guys!:wink:

Oh AtomicX, i admit maybe this wasn’t the best forum to post the original question, but since this site seems to be CCD dominated and my CCD virtual drive was affected, i figured i had a better chance of getting an answer here. i’m really still quite unsure where to post generic-type questions like this, sorry.:confused:

If your using the Clone Cd Virtual drives then this is the perfect place to post your questions.

Like Huzzy alluded to: just because something does or doesn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean it does or doesn’t happen to EVERYONE. so, if you wanna make a “blanket statement”, you get burned.

i never said “everyone”

@ISOMan / Huzzy

Apologies re this being the wrong forum, point taken.