Uh oh +r -r

the drive i have says it supports +r and -r is not supported does this mean that it wont burn them? it is the khypermedia by cyberdrive kdvrw8x

That’s right, this drive will only write to DVD+R/RW discs.

I purchased a Khypermedia KDVRW8X for $109 USD with
a $50 mail in rebate. I figured for the price, I’ll give it a try.

In the process of installing the software, WinCinema,
I received a SEVERE error message:
“This is not a qualified machine”.
At this point I searched the internet and can’t find anyone with
this problem.

In the process I found some other forums stating that the Khypermedia KDVRW8X made in China is a Cyberdyne
and the one made in Malaysia is a Benq. My drive lists the firmware B2F7, this is the same firmware as the Benq DW800A.
Benq claimed this to be the “World’s First 8x DVD Writer” back in August of 2003.

I may return it if Khypermedia’s Tech support doesn’t reply soon.

i would try using nero also look for a firware update here http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=1

Originally posted by jorgejam
In the process of installing the software, WinCinema,
I received a SEVERE error message:
“This is not a qualified machine”.
At this point I searched the internet and can’t find anyone with
this problem.

I’ve been having a similar problem with this drive, i.e. the “unqualified machine” message; the difference is that neither of my computers has been able to properly recognize it as a dvd-burner, so I’m not even sure if the firmware in mine coincides with the BenQ or the Cyberdyne model. I’ve tried finding drivers from KHypermedia, but I’ve found nothing helpful on their website.

jorgejam, if you get a reply about the software from their tech support, could you please relay that information to me? I really don’t want to crack my case open again just to find the serial number I need for them to respond to me. I’d really appreciate that.

And if anyone else has any suggestions/insight about my system failing to recognize the drive, I’m open to suggestions. Thanks. :cool:

return the drive,

Get a NEC 2500a,

burning at 8x is not the best idea, youll get alot more errors, no matter what drive you use.

4x is pretty reliable with all newer drives.

4x is still pretty fast, shoot I still burn at 2x (pioneer a03)

Force

I have the same Khypermedia/Cyberdrive. It burns 4x +R disk at 8x w/ no problem, no errors. It’s got a 8 mb buffer. Not sure whether it’s a good drive or not, but it seems to work well.

If you have the khypermedia model KDVRW8X made in Malaysia,
it suppose to be a Benq DRW800A. This drive was problematic
and khypermedia’s support stinks! It took them almost 3 weeks
to give me an email reply. I retuned the drive to Office Max before I was stuck with it.
I have read on some forums that the same model drive made in China is more reliable, a Cyberdrive, and firmware upgradeable to dual format.
I have a NEC and it runs every piece of software I’ve tried with it and burns with no issues or complaints.

The following is the email from Khypermdia support:

Dear Customer:

First of all, we apologize for the late reply as our mails
are back up. If you had called us and got the issue
resolved, please ignore this message.

Make sure the drive works and Record Now software installed
before you install the WinCinema software.

Thanks
Khypermedia Customer Support

LOL that is pretty sad!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jorgejam
[B]If you have the khypermedia model KDVRW8X made in Malaysia,
it suppose to be a Benq DRW800A. This drive was problematic
and khypermedia’s support stinks! It took them almost 3 weeks
to give me an email reply. I retuned the drive to Office Max before I was stuck with it.
I have read on some forums that the same model drive made in China is more reliable, a Cyberdrive, and firmware upgradeable to dual format.

Which OfficeMax did you get your BenQ Drive from? BenQ drive is the one that can be upgraded to dual format where as the cyberdrive cannot.

If you firmware is B2F7 its a BenQ drive.

Is your problem only with WinDVD?
Do any app recognize your drive as a burner?

Make sure you have up to date versions of your software.

If your still having problems msg me and I might be able to help if you have the BenQ.

At first I thought the problem was with WinDVD that came packaged with the drive (I guess you had to load the Record Now software first, as a requirement, before loading WinDVD WinCinema) but, I also had problems burning with various other software programs. I can’t remember the details but it was the only thing that locked up my Windows XP Pro pc solid, since I installed XP Pro over 1.5 years ago.

I had to return the drive within the 14 days OfficeMax gives you for hardware like this, so I wasn’t going to go into in troubleshooting. I don’t have time for that.
I bought the drive at New Britian, Connecticut, USA.

I swear the people I’ve dealt with there are so incompetent.
The guy taking care of me got the manager for the return and walked away, even when I told him I was willing to exchange it for the same model, as long as it was Made in China. This is suppose to be the Cyberdrive, firmware upgradeble to dual format.
I just took the credit on my card and got out of there!

I’ll pay a little more but I’ll stick with NEC, Sony, Lite-On…etc.

I have the same problem with my new Benq DW800A Drive. I called Benq for support and was told that they did not know what the problem was and that I should talk to Intervideo. The person at Intervideo said that they do not know what the problem is and to call Benq.

just got my BenQ DW800A from compusa two weeks ago. It works great. Burned 4x dvd media at 8x (in about 8 min) & no errors.

I haven’t had any problems w/ it so far.