UDMA Mode 3 for 165H

Is this normal for this drive? I’ve flashed to the latest firmware and I’m using XP pro.

Oh yes this is what you want. None of this PIO shuff

Thanks for the response. I guess my concern is every cd/dvd drive i’ve owned in the past is recognized as udma mode2. I was just wondering if anyone else who has this drive was getting the same udma3.

hmmmm my drive is not connected so maybe I’ll test it today. Although they don’t even reach the 33mb/s max so 66mb/s will only increase the area for growth. You are using the latest firmware meaning the JLMS ch0n firmware? I have the 165P firmware (though I modified it to say H again, changing the letter was just dumb.)

The firmware rev is ch0n. I’ve tried it on 2 different machines ( Via & Intel chipsets) with the same results.

No, it’s not normal. UDMA 3 (transfer rate of 44.4 MB/sec.) has never been used in a drive until you reported it. See Ultra DMA (UDMA) Modes.

Even Lite-on’s Specs for the drive show its capability as UDMA 2 (UDMA 33).

Maybe the firmware contains a new life form that is causing the UDMA mode to evolve. :bigsmile:

Or perhaps someone that writes software doesn’t know the difference between UDMA Modes 2 & 3 and has gotten them confused. :cool:

Originally posted by Inertia
Maybe the firmware contains a new life form that is causing the UDMA mode to evolve. :bigsmile:

Ah, organic evolving DVD-readers! That’s useful, then the companies don’t have to make new products, and it will create firmware upgrades for itself! :slight_smile:

As long as I don’t have to feed it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again to all for the info and the humor:)

I guess it’s rma time.:frowning:

I doubt that it’s the drive’s fault. Where is the connect speed showing as UDMA 3? If it’s in WinXP, then it’s a bug in the code introduced by a programmer’s misunderstanding. It’s also possible that the intent was to write UDMA33 (instead of UDMA 3), which is another way of describing UDMA 2.

If the system BIOS is recognizing the drive properly as connecting in UDMA 2 or UDMA33, then the drive is OK. You should be able to see the connect speed on the boot-up screen just after the BIOS recognizes the IDE drives. The trouble is, with the newer fast computers the screen flashes by so fast there is no chance to read it.

What works for me is to put a non-bootable floppy in the A: drive (with the boot sequence set to boot first from a floppy). When the boot stalls because of the unbootable floppy, the preceding information on the screen related to IDE drive recognition and connection speeds is still there and can be read. :wink:

I tried the floppy and the boot screen shows:
Sec. Master Disk: DVD, UDMA 0
Sec. Slave Disk: CD-RW, ATA 33
I went into the bios and changed the detection mode from auto to UDMA 33 and the boot screen changed to:
Sec. Master Disk: DVD, ATA 33
Now XP shows mode 2 in the device manager.
I was still wondering about the auto detection so I tried the same test with my Ltd-163 and I don’t have the detection problem at all.:confused:

Glad you got it fixed. Just goes to show you. But what it shows you I’m not sure. :bigsmile:

Aren’t computers fun? :cool:

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]No, it’s not normal. UDMA 3 (transfer rate of 44.4 MB/sec.) has never been used in a drive until you reported it. See Ultra DMA (UDMA) Modes.

Even Lite-on’s Specs for the drive show its capability as UDMA 2 (UDMA 33).

Or perhaps someone that writes software doesn’t know the difference between UDMA Modes 2 & 3 and has gotten them confused. :cool: [/B]

Oops sorry Looks like I cant follow lines in a table either. Sorry if this caused some confusion. :eek:

I’m experiencing a similar problem.

I’ve just fitted a Lite-On LTD-165H drive and my BIOS auto-detects it as PIO Mode 4 and Ultra DMA Mode 3. I’ve tried setting it to Ultra DMA Mode 2 (as it should be), but it keeps reverting back to Mode 3.

Also, my hard drive ‘busy’ light is on all the time. Only since fitting the LTD-165H.

Are these problems related? Will the drive still work in Ultra DMA Mode 3?

Let me know.

I had problems using Clonecd (reading a burnt disk) before I found the udma problem.

I rma’d the drive and just recieved the replacement today. I’ll post my results.

Just installed it in my new system, and mine is also at UDMA 3 (not 33, and no programmer’s glitch). Both BIOS and XP Pro say UDMA 3. When I try to change it manually in the BIOS it doesn’t work. It actually stopped me from installing XP, I had to boot off my 48125w to install. It is master on secondary IDE board is p4s8x.

What do you get if you Flash Back?

Well the new drive is the same UDMA 3 :confused:

Is anyone getting mode 2 on these drives with the bios setting at auto?

Where did everyone who’s getting mode 3 buy them from?

Mine are from Newegg.

It’s possible that it is actually using UDMA Mode 3, and from the reports the evidence seems to support it. Perhaps Lite-on decided to implement this virtually unused mode as a form of UDMA one-upsmanship. :bigsmile: Since this mode is in the specificatons, motherboards may support it even if it is usually not used.

If Lite-on changed the connection mode, they haven’t told anyone yet or changed their specifications. Perhaps if one of you experiencing this weird connection mode would email Lite-on tech support they would answer the question and explain why this is happening.

I just fired off a problem report to Liteon.

I’ll post their response.

got mine from nutrend.com. What was the last “LiteOn” firmware before it turns to JLMS?