UDMA IDE Flat Cable (80 conductor) vs. UDMA IDE Rounded Cable

UDMA IDE Flat Cable (80 conductor) vs. UDMA IDE Rounded Cable

Hello, All!

Here’s my specs:

Windows XP Pro
384 SDRAM
1 Seagate Barracuda 80G 7200rpm (Primary Channel, Master on a 40-pin cable)
1 Seagate Barracuda 40G 7200rpm (Primary Channel, Slave)
1 IDE Samsung SM-348B Combo Drive (Secondary Channel, Master on a 40-pin cable)

I have already been to a couple of sites. But I need more inputs/suggestions. My mobo supports UDMA mode. I’m thinking of changing my IDE cables, should I get 80-pin cables for both primary and secondary channels, or should I get rounded IDE cables (Thermaltake ATA-133/100/66 Round cables Part Number: A1358). http://www.thermaltake.com/products/accessories/idecable.htm I do know that rounded cables minimizes wire-mess and helps in better airflow. I am more concerned on the performance of my drives.

Is there really a difference between an 18" (450mm) or a 24" (600mm), performance-wise?

Which is better to use on my writers, 40-PIN cables, 80-PIN cables or the rounded cables?

Any input/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Toink

If your hardware is able to do 66MB/s or higher then use 80 wire cables. You can’t mix 33 and 66 and higher on one channel though.

Get round cables. Go to NewEgg and look for ones that have True-133 in the description red letters, they are better shielded. I’d better go with 18" since 24" is over the standart size. Though I used 24" in my full case and they seemed to work great.

Go for the round ones and as short as possible. Buy transparent ones those where you can see that under the plastic they have a metalic mesh, not foil like not transparent ones. See pics of the items at newegg.com

It won’t hurt if your HDs are 33MB/s and you use a True-133 cable. You can then reuse it later on with upgraded hardware.

The new round cables are the best choice. They combine the electrical advantages of the flat 80 wire cables with the neatness and enhanced airflow mentioned. 18" is the maximum cable length allowed by the IDE standard. Longer lengths are non-standard and may result in data corruption or reduced speed.

80 wire cables have 40 pins, just like the 40 wire cables. Otherwise the cables wouldn’t fit in the same receptacles. The extra 40 wires on the 80 wire cables are ground wires between the conductive wires, and are used to reduce RFI (radio frequency interference) between adjacent conductive wires. This configuration improves data integrity compared to 40 wire cables and enables higher speed capability of up to 133 MB/sec. The standard recommends 80 wire cables for speeds of 33 MB/sec up, although a 40 wire cable may be used up to that speed.

UDMA Mode 2 (33 MB/sec) and UDMA Mode4 (66 MB/sec) devices may be attached to the same 80 wire or round cable with no concerns. Modern IDE controllers have individual device timing so that either UDMA device will run at its full rated speed.

I wouldn’t pay extra for a “True 133” cable. A decent quality standard round cable should work fine up to 133 MB/sec… Be wary of additional enticements which may be marketing ploys. For instance, some cable suppliers may list separate 80 wire categories for 100 MB/sec (more expensive) and 66 MB/sec. The specification is the same for both, so don’t fall for paying a higher price unnecessarily.

You can get the round (3 connector) 18" Vaster cables rated for 33/66/100/133 MB/sec starting at $3.00 at CableClub.com.

I like flat ones, they’re easy to fold out of the way. I just use 80 wire flat cables now, I have enough lying around that I don’t care if it’s technically a waste on my CD drives.

Or you can be cheap and buy a flat cable, then slice it up in groups of 5 wires. Wrap it up, and you got a custom round cable…

btw… this ain’t my idea… i saw it at a website…

Here it is…

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MjE3LDE=

This wasn’t the one I originally read it from… but same idea… they say 80pin might not work here… but on the other website, they showed it works…

Originally posted by SkYLiNe
[B]Or you can be cheap and buy a flat cable, then slice it up in groups of 5 wires. Wrap it up, and you got a custom round cable…

btw… this ain’t my idea… i saw it at a website… [/B]

Lets see, the guy writing the article has 25 years of experience bundling and harnessing electrical cables and he states the following:

I have an 80 wire IDE in the old “Icebox” here, but chickened out on the “split and stack” since it was so expensive. If any of you have tried it, let me know how it worked out.

But suppose you presume yourself to be more cabable than him and you buy a 80 wire ribbon cable for $2.00, slice it up into 10 groups of 8 wires, make a clumpy stack of the wires and fasten it together with electrical tape for a “custom round cable” without external shielding. :confused:

I think I would stick with with factory made, lifetime guaranteed, externally shielded round cables for $3.00 each. :wink:

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
I like flat ones, they’re easy to fold out of the way.

Yes, I concur, and did the same.
BTW, my new ASUS mainboard design is such that the cables are extremely close to the peripherals, and arent even in the way of any fan or other air circulating device.

I only wish they made shorter IDE (4"-6") cables or knew where to buy shorter ones.

These guys can get you 10" and the ones I have are a fairly short 10".

http://www.svcompucycle.com/cables-ata-100-133-round-cables.html