Udf

vbimport

Any disadvantage to using UDF when burning to DVD+R? All my computers are newer and I like the fact that UDF allows very long filenames and large file sizes. But if there’s a disadvantage to using it, I’ll try something else.

In general, data DVDs readable by PC DVD drives should use the hybrid UDF + ISO format.

Is there a reason for that though? Newer operating systems, or at least the ones I use, can read UDF discs fine. Since the DVDs are personal backups, it’s not a matter of compatibility that’s the issue. I’m wondering if there’s any technical or specific issues with UDF that I should know about. Especially since I believe that even if you use a hybrid disc, that Windows XP will favour the UDF system over the other. So using a hybrid disc in Windows XP is essentially the same as using just UDF.

ISO + joliet allows long filenames too, also there are more extensions.

UDF were invented for DVD. so it should be used regardless if alone or with ISO9660 as “hybrid” FS.

I solely use UDF for data backup without any problems. Every modern operating system knows UDF.

ISO9660+Joliet or Hybrid? No, thanks. Mere redundancy I can live without.

It both exists for a sense.
With older OS’ ISO9660 etc. is very useful.

(deleted)