UDF vs ISO Query

I see that Nero has the option of creating a UDF CD and a UDF/ISO CD. I created a UDF/ISO CD and all that I could find different from the standard Data CD was that it could hold aproximately 15MB less than a standard data CD. The usual file name and directory restrictions still apply. Also, Windows reports the CD as having UDF file system instead of CD-FS, but I could see no other difference.

Would anyone know if there is any advantage of creating a UDF CD over a standard ISO CD, e.g. speed or performance difference? This is different from the UDF CDs that Direct CD create as once Nero has finished burning the CD, I cannot add more files unless I add another Multisession to the CD. I.e. just like a standard data CD.

Nero claims in their Help file:

The big advantage of a UDF/ISO Bridge CD is that the data comply with both the UDF standard and the ISO standard. The data are only added to the compilation once and Nero automatically creates a UDF and an ISO table of contents. These two tables of contents allow the CD to be used as a Bridge CD.

In the real world, there is no practical advantage to this capability. It requires extra overhead for the UDF format and doesn’t add any more data security. Nero doesn’t support multisession mode. It isn’t worth the bother.

The UDF format is used primarily (not counting packet writing) for DVD writing. UDF is the native format of DVD’s.

Five years on (!), is there any reason to choose UDF over ISO, to create a Data disc of .avi files? The reason for the question is that I’ve just had Nero tell me I couldn’t use the ISO format to burn an .avi of over 2GB, which is something I’ve never come across before.

EDIT: My DVD player (LG DR275) doesn’t seem to like the UDF format, as the .avi files I’ve burned using UDF format will not play. The LG manual claims the format should be ISO 9660 (UDF Bridge Format).

UDF is THE standard for DVD.
For files bigger than 2GB UDFis necessary, or you use ISO/UDF for downwards compatibility.

Thanks for the reply. It turned out that my standalone LG275 didn’t like .avi files over 2GB. Once I split the file in two, they played.