UDF vs ISO for rewritable DVD

vbimport

I recently bought my first pack of rewritable DVDs (+RW). I am going to use them for backup snapshots. Each disc should be able to hold about a dozen snapshots for my needs. I want to get the best wear-leveling possible, so I need to be able to write at different times (not all at once) for each snapshot.

This is the first time I’ve needed to do this with a DVD. Before, with CDs I would just use ISO multisession. But it seems like for DVD, a UDF packet-write setup is preferred. Since these are backups I don’t really need the flexibility of packet-writing. As far as I can tell there is no UDF multisession.

Is there really a distinct advantage to UDF or should I just keep using the ISO multisession?

As you note UDF uses packet writing which has proven so unreliable I no longer use it at all. It seemed to work when I first tried it, but after a while the UDF formatted CD showed no info on the disc with zero bites available even though there were only a few MB previously stored on it. Data on such CDs was unrecoverable, and the CD had to be reformatted before it could be used again, but reading discs failed in the same fashion when the CDs were used after reformat. Keep using ISO multisession if you want reliable results…

… the other option would be DVD-RAM - with UDF. The media can be used like a 4.7 GiB Floppy.
Requirements are a DVDRW that supports DVD-RAM and a UDF driver (already built-in in Vista and newer).

Michael