UDF software for cd-rw

vbimport

I just recently discovered the dvd-ram panasonic drivers and DVDForm that was included. Small and painless :iagree: . Thanks again to mobilenvidia for providing that set of programs for us newbies.

Is there some program like the above-mentioned available for cd-rw. I’m told to stay the heck away from InCD. So I’m interested in a good alternative for windows xp for my use and also just in case I try to help someone out in the future. I have some verbatim I want to get my money’s worth out of :wink: .

Any suggestions?

Yes use them as Frisbee’s !!!

I’m affraid that under Windows and for CD-RW you’ll have to use packet writting software…with all the probs.
You have several choices, not just InCD, but this kind of stuff tends to conflict with others and is probable you get trouble anyway.
You can use thr discs under Nero’s Burning Rom as a CD that you can clean an use again.
If you pass the information to a folder, add the new things there, delete whats not necessary to you and write back to disc, you get almost the same effect as using a UDF rw. Maybe slower, but having DVD-RAM you will not do it everyday for sure.

I’ve been having very excellent results with the Verbatim especially on successive rewrites. A lot like what the old 10x Maxells were like. I posted some scans in the media test forum a few weeks back.

I was hoping to find some good free packet writing software without being the guinea pig, so to speak, earlier this morning. Not much luck so far in searching.

Still open for suggestions.

Have a look here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=100331
After, you can go here:

For the good opinion read thread #73

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=53834&page=3&pp=25&highlight=Veritas+DLA

For the negative opinion read thread #31
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=53834&page=2&pp=25&highlight=Veritas+DLA

These links refer to the software you indicated (now deleted from you last post as I did realize) - note that the initial link has some time now+

Thanks, I was just getting ready to post about the Sonic DLA when you put that up.

I found this Dell DLA software. I got the Dell one because

Another option is to use the Dell DLA package. This is actually a full installer for Sonic DLA 4.95. This package does not pay attention to the hardware platform and it installs on systems with no previous version of DLA installed.

I’m trying it now. So far so good. It hasn’t interfered with the DVDForm setup.

I found a newer version of that Dell DLA that works dated January of this year version 4.98 here
Posted it to help anyone else looking for this type of software.

I think I found what I was looking for. Just have to give it time for any bugs to show up. Thanks again agomes.

UDF is not necessary for CD media and Packetwriting software is just a bunch of bugs collected into one piece of a software.

Well, it was a nice idea to try anyway because somehow the Sonic DLA was conflicting with reading dvd-ram data discs burned with Nero. The LG was coming up with no disc inserted. :eek: :eek: :sad:

I had made the decision to reinstall windows earlier this morning due to a corrupt registry from a power failure and I, beforehand, double-checked my backups on dvd-ram burned with Nero and I couldn’t get the disk to be read for some reason until I uninstalled the Sonic DLA from Dell mentioned in my 2nd to last post. <Sound of me going “Whew!!! OK the disc is good after all.”>
So the Sonic DLA is gone now. Just too big of a ‘bug’ for me. I’ll just stick with the dvd-ram panasonic DLA.
Probably best that way considering the write verification feature of dvd-ram. I just wished that Mount Rainier was supported by more manufacturers.

Sorry to waste everyone’s time. At least I now know more than I did at the start. :doh: :doh: :doh:

PS: It took just about a week to find a ‘bug’, didn’t it??? I wasn’t quite sold on the Sonic DLA. I’ll quote myself:

Just have to give it time for any bugs to show up.

Yes use them as Frisbee’s !!! :slight_smile:

Some times the best way to learn is the hard way :slight_smile:

I hope you realise that you can indeed use CD-RW media without using packet writing!

You can burn anything (data, Audio CD, VCD, SVCD) onto CD-RW media just like you can with CD-R media, and you can burn multi-session CD-RW discs if you want just like you can with CD-R media.

The only difference is that at any point you want to start from scratch on a CD-RW, you can just use the Erase function of your favorite burning program, and then you have an empty CD-RW once again!

The builtin CD Recording function of Windows XP is perfectly capable of handling this for you if you merely want to burn data CDs. For Audio/Video CDs you need other software.

So there’s no need to use your CD-RWs as frisbees! :disagree:

Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power. I find this to be spot on.
If you decide to use your Verbatims as frisbees, feel free to aim them this way.
John

Peeps, I’m not a newbie/noob to burning straight data and bootable data discs with Nero, just a newbie to the UDF/Packet writing/DLA side of things.
I also have had no problems with Verbatim Datalife plus since I’ve been re-re-re-re-rewriting RyanVM post-sp2 update slipstreamed install cds for a long while now. Great results. No C2 errors other than two spikes which also occur on other good brand media (most likely the drive doing that) and the transfer rates are good to go.