UDF Packet Cd - CD became unreadable - please help recovering

vbimport

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could offer some help on this problem:

The other day, against my better judgement, I was writing some files of mine (Photoshop ® and Paintshop Pro ® image files, mostly graphic art created by myself) to a cd via UDF Packet Cd, bundled with Ce-Quadrat To Go! (Anyone remember this program? 1997 Vintage, I think!).

Anyway, this seemed to copy fine, until I tried to read the cd later, and it said something about the last copy process not being completed, and would I like to continue mounting the CD. I chose yes, but the CD would not read.

Fine, I thought, I’ll copy the files to another backup CD from HD later on. The next day, I departed on holiday only to find on my return that my flatmate had totally wrecked my computer. It looks like he downloaded a virus or something similar and it totally corrupted both my FAT’s on my hard disk.

Ok, I thought. I had to format the hard drive, but I had done it a hundred times before, no problem.

Until I realised, the packet CD with the files was corrupted and the files on the hard disk were wiped. (Usually I am good at backing up and careful to do so, but it is always when you forget or make a mistake that something goes wrong!)

So, the data is on the damaged CD, around 600 MB worth, but the TOC or whatever the UDF system uses is corrupted or incomplete. I can’t access any data on the Cd, it just asks me if I want to continue mounting, but it is the same result - blasted blue screen. But I know the data is there somewhere!

I post this problem only because I have lost about 200 hours (maybe more) work in this blunder, and some of it I was to include in my graphic art folio for university! This obviously has drastic consequences if I am unable to recover it!

So, if anyone who has had a similar problem or someone who knows how to get some/all of this lost data back, I would be most appreciative of any input at all, no matter how obscure.

I did do a search on the forums, but couldn’t really find a good answer for this particular problem.

PLEASE HELP! I AM DESPERATE!!

(Thanks for the great site guys!)

Kind Regards

Damon Williams (A.K.A. Action-Dam)

P.S
Hope this is the right area for this particular question!
P.P.S
Sorry for my verbosity

I recommend copying the cdrom on ANOTHER system using programs that can cope with read errors and malfunctions. CloneCD , Blindwrite and Alcohol 120% can help you with this.

Have you tried this program yet ? Or perhaps this ?

Ohhhh, Mr Belevedere

Well, I did try Clone CD the other day but as the UDF PacketCD itself was copied incorrectly and the TOC corrupted, this program can’t really help as it can’t read the corrupted CD either. Even on other computers (I tried at least 4). I seem to be having limited success with a program called ISO Buster (Smart Projects) but the situation is far from resolved at the moment.

I will, however, try the programs you provided links to in you reply to my post.

I will post again with an update if I can get anything to work - I’m sure this may happen to someone else careless (and lazy) enough to be bothered using packet writing. I’ll never use it again, that’s for sure!

Thanks for taking the time to research and reply Mr Belvedere.
Is very much appreciated, believe me.

BTW, great and informative site, fellas!

Kind Regards,

Damon Williams

Originally posted by Action-Dam
[B]Ohhhh, Mr Belevedere

Well, I did try Clone CD the other day but as the UDF PacketCD itself was copied incorrectly and the TOC corrupted, this program can’t really help as it can’t read the corrupted CD either. Even on other computers (I tried at least 4). I seem to be having limited success with a program called ISO Buster (Smart Projects) but the situation is far from resolved at the moment.

I will, however, try the programs you provided links to in you reply to my post.

I will post again with an update if I can get anything to work - I’m sure this may happen to someone else careless (and lazy) enough to be bothered using packet writing. I’ll never use it again, that’s for sure!

Thanks for taking the time to research and reply Mr Belvedere.
Is very much appreciated, believe me.

BTW, great and informative site, fellas!

Kind Regards,

Damon Williams [/B]

You’re most welcome.

Please post the results , wether they are good or bad , of the programs. It might support other people who may (in the future) cope with the same kind of troubles regarding UDF filesystems.

Regards ,

Mr. Belvedere

As promised, I have returned to post results of my attempts to recover data from a corrupted UDF Packet CD.

As recommended by Mr Belvedere, a program called “BadCopy Pro” has solved my problem for the most part. It has resulted in recovering 99% of the data that I had seemingly “lost” (I always knew it was there, just not how to access it).

One annoying thing was that I had to reinstate the file names manually by looking at the individual files, as obviously the descriptor pointing to the filenames was damaged as part of the corruption. But, what a small annoyance compared to the problem of losing the data altogether would have cost me.

But, then, no program is perfect…

Another annoyance was the fact that some files were “crosslinked”, or merged, which resulted in some corruption of just 4 files, out of around about 150 files in total, a pretty good result, I believe.

I also had some success with another program named “ISO Buster” which, although taking an eternity, did allow me to see the full, original filenames, but failed to extract the data that it displayed.

So, in conclusion, I can recommend both of the aforementioned programs (one of which was recommended by Mr Belvedere) if a similar problem should befall one of the readers at this forum.

The only other thing I can recommend to other readers is to avoid packet writing like the plague, as according to many other cases on these forums, I’m certainly not the only one to have problems with it.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Damon Williams. (AKA Action-Dam)

I have been using CD-R/RW burning software for some 6 years to date and I have never had any luck with Nero’s Incd - on booting my PCs (Japanese W2K, and another English XP) both show a sign in the taskbar saying that the Incd write software is unstable and been excluded. I have seen a prog called Drag N Drop CD DVD version 3.0 but unfortunately I now cant find it. I have a Win98 at 300 which only has 64 of ram (cant be upgraded cause they say the laptop is too old - 3 years would you believe. Well I need some really light on CD-R/RW software. Can you suggest something that doesnt take up much resources and has a real safe RW prog on it please.
I have all these CD-RW waiting to be used but no confidence at the moment to install something which is not backed by the professions.

Many, many tks.
This is my first post here but I am real pleased with what I have seen.

Job:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Job
[B]I have been using CD-R/RW burning software for some 6 years to date and I have never had any luck with Nero’s Incd - on booting my PCs (Japanese W2K, and another English XP) both show a sign in the taskbar saying that the Incd write software is unstable and been excluded. I have seen a prog called Drag N Drop CD DVD version 3.0 but unfortunately I now cant find it. I have a Win98 at 300 which only has 64 of ram (cant be upgraded cause they say the laptop is too old - 3 years would you believe. Well I need some really light on CD-R/RW software. Can you suggest something that doesnt take up much resources and has a real safe RW prog on it please.
I have all these CD-RW waiting to be used but no confidence at the moment to install something which is not backed by the professions.

Many, many tks.
This is my first post here but I am real pleased with what I have seen.

Job:rolleyes: [/B]

Hey there Job ,

I have found the drag n drop software here , but i don’t know if it’s the correct one , can’t read japanse :slight_smile:
Here is what i found after a search on [google]drag n drop cd windows 98[/google].

I would however not recommend using any sort of UDF writing tool. They tend to be highly unstable in all forms. Yet i have noticed that the Roxio Easy Cd Creator tools are one of the most stable. I strongly suggest you make a good backup of your system before you install it.

Your cd-rw discs aren’t worthless though, you can still use them as if they were normal cd-recordables in popular programs like Nero Burning Rom , Roxio’s Easy Cd Creator , Alcohol 120% , CloneCd , Padus Discjuggler, Blindwrite , and so forth.

Well Mr. Belvedere I give you 100 points for coming up with those Japanese sites. You were right on. But better still, you have helped me to eventually choose not to use any UDF Packed CD and just stay with what I am happy with.

Once again, many, many thanks.