UDF or FAT32?

I’m using a LG 4167B since a week for backup my pictures. The files are normally about 3-6 MB. Which on is the best way to write the data UDF or FAT32? Is there any difference in the speed?

If UDF is the better way, which driver do I need? I bought a bulk version without any software. Where can I find the UDF driver?

Thanks!

Search the forum for: DVD-RAM driver
Personally I’ve always used UDF with the LG/Panasonic driver, except for a few experiments with FAT32 - but then I’m on W2K, so I need a driver anyway :wink:
By the way, InCD doesn’t do FAT32.

I also use the Panasonic DVD-RAM driver as it provides drag and drop simplicity just like it is a hard drive as well as the choice of Fat32 or UDF.
It also it rock solid compared to the experiences I have had with InCD in the past.

According to panasonic’s manual;
use UDf 1.5 for writing PC DATA as it also allows the transfer of data between Windows (XP, 2000 I presume) and Mac OS.

Use UDF 2.0 for Audio-Visual data if the disc is to be played in a DVD recorder (or from what I believe the file size is quite large EG: about 1 GB or more).

Use Fat32 for data that is also going to be used on Windows95 OSR2, Windows 98, Mindows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows Xp computers.

So for 3-6 mb files use UDF 1.5, or you could use UDF 2.0.
The driver can be found on these forums just search for- DVD-RAM Driver Download -.
The driver has the format utilities to choose Fat32 or UDF 1.5 - 2.0 unlike the native driver in XP which only allows Fat32.

If you have windows XP you can use FAT32 natively, without any driver installed.

For 3.6 MB files maybe it’s the better choice. You can use windows without messing-up your machine installing other unnecessary drivers.

For what I know, there are no speed differences between UDF and FAT32 writings. RAM media are written slowly anyway because of the verification process during the burning.

UDF is supposed to be faster than FAT32 when writing large files. With 3.6MB files however, you probably won’t notice much difference.

Interesting information here (avoid the mini-flame war) :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=100491

FAT32 for 3-6MB files seems to be the way to go.
Nice link, karangguni.