Ubuntu Help?

vbimport

So I have this old computer that barely supports XP, so I decided to reformat it with Ubuntu. To make a long story short, the fps is terrible and when I watch a video, I am unable to resize it, as the screen then goes black. I believe that this is all a video driver issue, but have no idea how to view driver information. I’ve never used Linux before :o. I’m running a Celleron with 512 MB of RAM, and I believe that the graphics card is integrated into the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post the make/model of the computer. Processor speed plays a big part. There are open source drivers and proprietary drives depending the graphics chip manufacturer, so check the hardware, I think it’s under System Places or something like that. I’m on a Windows box right night and haven’t used Ubuntu for a while. What format is the video, avi, mpg, mkv, etc? What software are you using for playback, Mplayer, VLC, etc? For linux newbies I usually suggest Linux Mint as it comes with the necessary multimedia codecs. Don’t be afraid to visit the Ubuntu Forums for a lot of useful information. There aren’t many Linux users here at Myce but we’ll help if we can.

I got the black screen issue fixed by changing some settings in VLC. I still have a low fps. I need to wait for my computer to catch up while typing!

I’m not sure which hardware I’m running. All I know is that it’s an Asus computer. I can’t find any model number. Is there a program I can use (such as Everest Home Edition for Windows) that will allow me to check my hardware?

I find it hard to believe that Ubuntu 11.04 requires more resources than WinXP. Xp ran better than this! I’m having second thoughts about this being a driver issue. I have a good resolution and the color quality is good.

Well, modern desktop environments on Linux can be real ressource eaters. Not really recommended for older computers. Perhaps some more Lightweight Distros are better:

http://linuxmint.com/rel_isadora_lxde.php
Both are based on Ubuntu, but they have a less resource hogging desktop.

Michael

Thanks mciahel for the suggestion. I’ve already started the process of reformatting with XP. This was really just an experiment to see how everything would run. Perhaps I’ll try Ubuntu on a computer in the future. The funny thing is that I thought Ubuntu was specifically not supposed to be a resource hog. I keep seeing “Put life back into your old computer” written all over the internet. To me, that sounds like total crap. I’ve got two XP systems running 2 GB of RAM. They’re both old, but run quite well. It’s like the only way I would have seen an improvement would be if I went from running Vista or 7 on these same computers and then switched to Ubuntu. No thanks.

[QUOTE=Grim107;2591926]It’s like the only way I would have seen an improvement would be if I went from running Vista or 7 on these same computers and then switched to Ubuntu. No thanks.[/QUOTE]

And now you see what the problem is with a Unix platform is not alot of support or main stream software that will support it to make it feasible as a real competitor to WinDoze O/S itself. I tried Ubuntu before and just trying to run commands on it was just a pain so after many tries I gave up and just bought W7x64 Ult and now as happy as a camper. :iagree: For anyone thinking of going Ubuntu one should carefully think of the pro and cons not just what people say but will your software you want to run - work and run just as a native windows system. Win7 work far better on older system then Vista and has more support compared to vista more software are now going 7 which makes it a worth while O/S to go to. I have older system and laptop that had XP but with update will run W7 without much problems. 7 to me is a mix of XP and Vista(part that works well) into one O/S that most likely will overtake XP and remain a top O/S for years to come.

Too bad that your first experience with Linux has been a negative one. I run a lightweight distro, Puppy Linux, on a PII300 and 128MB of ram with no problems. The new Ubuntu has the Unity desktop instead of Gnome or KDE and requires more resources. If you ever want to try linux again on older hardware, like mciahel suggested, try a lighter distro. Along with the ones he’s listed there is Puppy, Vector, Absolute, Knoppix, and several others. And before you actually install any on your hard drive, just boot the live Cd to see if any meet your needs.