Ubiquitous 100Mbps Internet

http://www.keben.net/photo/?bc=64

The British Telecom and NTT of South Korea is Korea Telecom. KT’s motto is U-Korea. It’s for Ubiquitous Korea. Thanks to the existing phone network and widespread apartment complex, 100Mbps has become ubiquitous. Telephone was a luxury and only for the rich when I was young. I didn’t know how to call and couldn’t even if I knew. 100Mbps internet is ubiquitous now while telephone wasn’t in 1984 which coincidentally was the very year George Orwell set for his famous and notorious novel 1984 when every individual was going to live in and under one network controlled by the Big Brother. Guess what it will be like in 2024.

and I thought my 10Mbps cable was good.
in aus 1.5Mbps is the max speed for residential DSL

If most of the Western countries were as well-equipped with broadband lines, we’d have had TB HDDs and blue laser 100GB optical media already.

Most of what the US and Europe, and Australia and Canada have as “broadband” are just narrowband version of the first-generation ADSL and Cable. If I had to use an ADSL of 512Kbps download and 128Kbps upload, I’d rather have chosen to add one or two more BRI-ISDN lines. I was using ISDN from 1997 or 1998 to sometime around 2000-2001. I asked KT to “upgrade” my existing ISDN to ADSL then which was later automatically upgraded to this 100Mbps Ntopia because I moved to this Airport Town.

KT earns a lot of money without limiting bandwidth. 100Mbps full speeds at any time, though sometimes 90Mbps or 80Mbps depending on various factors. Since even the Netherlands and Switzerland do not have an infrastructure like South Korea and Japan, it must have something to do with national policies rather than cost to build and expand such an infrastructure nation-wide. At least, the two countries have relatively high capita per square kilometer. South Korea has about 500. 300 for Japan and 140 for China.

But South Korea, Japan, and China do not use that much data. Most knowledge and entertainment productions are done in the West and especially in the United States. Books, universities, TVs, movies, web forum posts, news releases, CIA terrorist reports, whatever. What’s the use of broadband if there are not many TB’s of data to send and receive? What’s the use of TB-size HDDs if there’s no installed base of Gbps Internet across the continent? It was the United States that opened the bold new world of optical media storage of CD-ROM making nearly zero-cost PSTN telephone (and PC modem) lines and the kind of applications and ready-to-be-computerized data available to the public. Everything stagnated since then because somebodies preferred monopoly to progress.

I realize that I live in a third world slum. I have just upgraded to a 1Mb ADSL line. In sweden they lay down lines for 24Mb ADSL for home users, and in Korea 100Mb… :Z

24Mbps ADSL is one of the faster ADSL. In Japan, they have 50 to 100Mbps ADSL. My 100Mbps is more like FTTH. Fiber to the big buildings and then LAN at each household. Since it’s LAN and there are at least five 100Mbps LAN ports at each household, no need for a separate router because it’s all built-in. KT wanted to let users have only one of those ports available for Internet though. I think it’s illegal for KT to do so because the buildings were constructed in that way because the government wanted to make the whole country as one network.

in the uk the best i can get is 1MB, or 2MB or a biz line, when i see people taking about 100MB, i think “why cant we get that here”.

ben :slight_smile:

The answer i think is quite simple. The UK has a very old telephone network and i think that is one of the limiting factors.

BTW i’m joining the 2MEG ADSL (residential trial) starting on 29th Nov 2004. Anyone in the UK interested will need to contact there ISP and check if they are taking part in the trial.

By the time BT decides to upgrade the phone network, there’ll be technologies for 100Gbps Internet so BT becomes obsolescent anyway.

There are 100Mbps VDSL and 100Mbps FTTH. The maximum download speeds are about the same, 100Mbps, but FTTH is multi-ports, 100Mbps up and down at once, does not require any modem or adapter to the PC, has less troubles, and costs less (meaning more profitable to the ISP.)

Some Sony camcorders still use 32MB memory cards. Some HD camcorders and recorders have 160GB HDDs and perhaps can use 400GB HDDs, too. 10K difference. So why not upgrade from 10Mbps to 100Gbps without bothering anything in between? ADSL and cable were for a time when people suddenly wanted to use memory-stick camcorders. When the mass start creating their own video at 1920*1080, they’ll want 100Gbps Internet @home because they’ll expect something more than HDTV in advance to follow soon.

Sony HVR-Z1U (Found here.

Sony is smart to concentrate on HD than continue developing DVD. Some Chinese DVD player makers are losing money and Samsung is also losing money from DVD recorders. NEC not that better probably but NEC has both DVD and HD-DVD.

I’m not spanish but do live in Spain! here for what i know maximum bandwith for adsl is at 4 mbps but it’s not cheap at all 150 €/month. I have adsl 512d/128u it sucks but don’t have a choice for this one I pay around 40 €/month. So it seems like Spain is no only (almost) the last country of western Europe but it`s ISP’ s really suck!!!
P.S. i’m Romanian in my country the ISP’s provide a much wider area of services and much better also (only inconvenience is that there working you cannot have a good internet conection).

Kenshin,
What is the cost of your 100MB service in USD and what is the upload rate?
tulsa

I currently get 1 meg cable internet, but the fastest I can find is 4 meg with blueyonder, but that’s £50.00 a month!

Kenshin,
Please ignore the gaff above. I see that the upload is 100Mb. Since many websites are limited in how fast they can send files, what is the fastest rate you have found for downloading large files? Which websites provide the fastest thru put?
tulsa

Man we get robbed in the UK for broadband. I got 1MB connection for £25 a month. We wont be getting 100mb here for years until the ISPs have milked everthing thay can get for the slower connections

i have a 256 Mbit for 30 € :frowning: a rip-off

My websites provide from 200KB/s to 10MB/s depending on the location of the servers.

Some of my friends’ websites/P2Ps/FTPs provide 5-12MB/s.

Most South Korean websites are good enough for 5-10MB/s download and upload as well. It should be 11-12MB/s if there are no bottlenecks like a hub that allows only about 60-80Mbps bandwidth.

I pay about US$25 per month now because 1 USD now is about 1,050 Won, including 10% VAT. 25-50Mbps VDSL is cheaper, usually around US$20. Cheapest is of course ADSL and cables, under US$20, but their upload speeds are just 100KB/s, pathetic, things of the 20th century. I used to upload 5-10GB per day in 1999, 2000, 2001… with cables and ADSL at home. Now I can upload 2-3TB per day if I want to (but where? what?)

256Mbps? 0.25Gbps?

I get 1MB from BT for £17, only because my girlfriend works for them, otherwise i would still be on dial up

Bj

That’s not really a valid excuse, if other countries can have 10mbps DSL and faster then there’s no reason it isn’t technologically possible in the UK. The main reason comes from BT having a monopoly over the landlines and dragging their heels over upgrading it.

Hm. Just for the record, South Korean phone networks were quite old as well. :slight_smile: No expert publicly said anything about a possibility of even 30-50Kbps. ISDN seemed to take forever.

And the important fact is, it’s fiber, distributors, modems/switches, etc. that are really important. Phone lines themselves are often mentioned for slow speeds and poor connections, but unless there are just 1 or 2 households within 200-500 meters, it’s really no big excuse.

How could KT earn so much profits after giving something like 300,000 in USD to each of the tens of thousands of employees for layoff and “upgrading” half of the lines to at least ADSL/VDSL/FTTH? KT had only very poor phone lines and the “basic” rate was 2,500 Won only for years for PSTN copper phone lines. 2,500 Won = 2 USD. KT combined FTTH with PSTN and LAN. Fiber optical lines distributed to LAN networks that connect to traditional PSTN phone lines. Wide adoption brought the average cost of ADSL and VDSL adapters/modems to nearly zero because there were so many small companies wanting to sell their devices to KT and the government even for about US$10. Overall cost per household seems to be cheaper for FTTH.

Ive got a 512/256 kbps connection that i pay £25 a month for pricey compared to other isps but im on NDO which is probably the best provider in the UK never had a lost connection since ive been with them thats 13 months plus its totally uncapped unlike other providers which have some laughable limit of 2Gb’s dload per month :slight_smile: