U.S. suffers worse loss of jobs since 1974

vbimport

Another GOP failure.(what’s new)
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081107/NEWS-US-USA-ECONOMY-JOBS/

Oh how could Bush and company take the trouble to handle this pesky economy thingy with the War In Iraq being so important? I mean they were hoping for big oil contracts for his pals. Too bad the Iraq government told them to piss off huh? lmao

I’m not worried. The Anointed One is going to make everything right on January 20th. I expect the unemployment rate will drop to 3% by January 21st.

I agree for a change we are going to put the middle class back to work.

The middle class has been back to work. For most of Bush’s two terms the unemployment rate was below the average for the 1960s through 2000. I call this the Democrat Controlled Congress recession. Ever since they took control the economy has been in decline. If Obama lurches to the left look for it to get even worse.

[QUOTE=UTR;2171621]… For most of Bush’s two terms the unemployment rate was below the average for the 1960s through 2000. [/QUOTE]Read this article and get back to me…http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2008/Pollyanna-Creep-Economy1may08.htm [QUOTE=UTR;2171621]I call this the Democrat Controlled Congress recession. Ever since they took control the economy has been in decline. If Obama lurches to the left look for it to get even worse.[/QUOTE]
Repeat after me “You can delegate authority but you can’t delegate responsibility”

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2171625]Read this article and get back to me…http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/2008/Pollyanna-Creep-Economy1may08.htm[/QUOTE]

Here are some cold hard numbers that actually mean something.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/prev_yrs.htm

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2171625]Repeat after me “You can delegate authority but you can’t delegate responsibility”[/QUOTE]

… and Congress has been very irresponsible the past two years. Name me one thing of substance they have passed or how many of the promises they kept that they made before the 2006 elections. They approved this $700B bailout and don’t have a clue what is being done with it. They are idiots and Reid, Pelosi, Dobb, Frank etc. are too dumb to get us out of this mess. What have they done the past two years to prevent it? I’ll tell you what they did… absolutely nothing. Now they want to blame Bush for it all and themselves for nothing. I don’t expect anything better from them because they have no concept of personal responsibility.

[QUOTE=UTR;2171633]Here are some cold hard numbers that actually mean something.[/QUOTE]Why is it you refuse to acknowledge that the methods used to calculate the unemployment rate has been modified by previous administrations, including Dubya’s, to show a much more favorable picture than the reality of today? You reference government statistics based on the revised methods and then base your position on it…:confused:

[QUOTE=UTR;2171633] and Congress has been very irresponsible the past two years. Name me one thing of substance they have passed or how many of the promises they kept that they made before the 2006 elections.[/QUOTE]

The present Congress doesn’t have a super majority (Thank goodness) and therefore unable to do much more damage…They’ve given Dubya free reign and you insist they alone are responsible…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2171640]The present Congress doesn’t have a super majority (Thank goodness) and therefore unable to do much more damage…They’ve given Dubya free reign and you insist they alone are responsible…[/QUOTE]

All you are doing is making excuses for them like they do for themselves. Who pushed for giving mortgage loans to people that couldn’t afford them? Name one thing they did the past two years to head off the mortgage crisis.

Bull, we have suffered with high unemployment in Michigan since the red neck took office.11,000 foreclosures in 1 month in Oakland Co. MI. And McLame refused to campaign in this state because he knew he could not win it, very crappy attitude on his part. Cheetah from the Tarzan movies could have done a better job.

Yeah a 6 year war with a third world country and no end in sight. Well no time for the economy cause we are at war with 2 countries and trying to start with a third. The old Rep. trick to start a war to stimulate the economy just did not work this time.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2171761]Bull, we have suffered with high unemployment in Michigan since the red neck took office.11,000 foreclosures in 1 month in Oakland Co. MI. And McLame refused to campaign in this state because he knew he could not win it, very crappy attitude on his part. Cheetah from the Tarzan movies could have done a better job.[/QUOTE]

Why is Michigan doing horrible and states like Texas and Virginia doing well? I’ll give you a clue for one reason… unions. Another is Democrats controlling the state and running it into the ground. It is typical of liberals to blame everyone but themselves. Go ahead and blame Bush and in four years when Michigan is still an economic disaster who will you blame then? Or will you liberals try to sweep all the misery there under the rug to make Obama look better? Heck, Bush did pretty good considering the economic hit we took after 9-11. You liberals need to start taking some personal responsibility instead of blaming every Republican for your troubles. What has Congress done the past two years to help Michigan?

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2171769]Yeah a 6 year war with a third world country and no end in sight. Well no time for the economy cause we are at war with 2 countries and trying to start with a third. The old Rep. trick to start a war to stimulate the economy just did not work this time.[/QUOTE]

You need to keep up with current events in Iraq. I know it isn’t turning out like you liberals want it too. That is our military and the Iraqis have pretty much won the war there. The liberals thought it would be another Vietnam and I understand your frustration and disappointment in the current situation there. It looks to me that the liberals still want to cut and run from Iraq and hope it goes into anarchy. As for Afghanistan, putting NATO in charge there has been a disaster. What do you think about Obama planning to up the ante in Afghanistan militarily? You ignore that and continue to blame Bush. On January 20th are you going to blame Obama?

[QUOTE=UTR;2171790]…I’ll give you a clue for one reason… unions…[/QUOTE] Kind of makes one nostalgic for the old days…Child labor in factories…12 hour workday…Dangerous and unhealthy work conditions…No job security…No medical coverage…
Too bad they don’t have debtor’s prison anymore…Those were the days…You betcha…

[QUOTE=UTR;2171790] On January 20th are you going to blame Obama?[/QUOTE]I’m going to follow the right wing playbook and blame…FDR, or maybe all of those pesky liberals…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2171799]Kind of makes one nostalgic for the old days…Child labor in factories…12 hour workday…Dangerous and unhealthy work conditions…No job security…No medical coverage…
Too bad they don’t have debtor’s prison anymore…Those were the days…You betcha… [/QUOTE]

You’re dodging now. We’re not talking about then. We are talking about today. The UAW has done more to kill Michigan’s economy than any other person or entity.

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2171799]I’m going to follow the right wing playbook and blame…FDR, or maybe all of those pesky liberals…[/QUOTE]

I guess anyone but Obama? That sounds like the liberal’s playbook to me.

[QUOTE=UTR;2171803]You’re dodging now. We’re not talking about then. We are talking about today. The UAW has done more to kill Michigan’s economy than any other person or entity.[/QUOTE]And management isn’t responsible at all? Unions, including the UAW, made it possible for an hourly worker to buy a house, a new car, put their kids through college, and helped establish a viable middle class…Most of the workplace changes have been brought about by unions…While not perfect, they do and did serve a valuable purpose in the progress of the US…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2171805]And management isn’t responsible at all? Unions, including the UAW, made it possible for an hourly worker to buy a house, a new car, put their kids through college, and helped establish a viable middle class…Most of the workplace changes have been brought about by unions…While not perfect, they do and did serve a valuable purpose in the progress of the US…[/QUOTE]

The UAW thinks they should continue to have members paid 95% of their salary for sitting at home. While Toyota, Subaru, Honda, BMW etc. are building assembly plants here the Big Three are shipping jobs overseas. Why is that? Could it be the UAW has made them uncompetitive if they use union labor? Even now with the Big Three at the edge of the abyss they still have a plate full of demands. They would rather not have a job than be competitive with the other domestic plant’s workers.

I agree that unions served a valuable service but that word served in in past tense. They have now become dinosaurs that have fed off the US automakers and other domestic manufacturers to the point they have become cannibals. It is the lazy, power hungry and greedy leadership of these unions that have done then in. You say they made the American dream possible and in some respects I agree. However, I say they are in the process of killing that dream today and they either don’t care or can’t see what they are doing.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2171769]The old Rep. trick to start a war to stimulate the economy just did not work this time.[/QUOTE]

Hasn’t worked since everything became MIC or MIT, including weaponry. And Thailand and Bangledesh for clothes and military apparel. What worked during WWII cannot and will not work this day and age.

[QUOTE=UTR;2171790]What do you think about Obama planning to up the ante in Afghanistan militarily? [/QUOTE]

That’s the smartest thing anyone has said regarding the wars. Afghanistan/Pakistan is the true hotbed of where our national security problems started, not Iraq. The cloud of failure to find, capture, and execute Bin Laden will forever hang on W’s administration. But I’m sure you’ll find a way to blame it on Bill Clinton or Barack Obama.:rolleyes: Wait, wait. You’ll pass the blame on to JFK or LBJ.:iagree:

GUY’S
Sorry but,I have to agree with UTR again. I will tell you
why. When my state was run by republican govenors[even
though I despised WILSON] The state was made up of
a pretty close even number in the legislature. When dem. GRAY
DAVIS became govenor and the dem’s became the majority.
That’s when things went really down hill here and the state
got into the worst debt in our history. GOV. ARNIE, was elected
to fix these problems. So why couldn’t he? Again DON PERATA,
and the rest of the dem majority would block any fiscal proposal.
So ARNIE in his mixed up mind decided to play nice and it’s gotten
him nowhere. Also the U.S. senate when the dem’s were not the
majority the economy was growing every year. It was only when
chuck schumer and BARNEY FRANK proposed and then the majority
passed legislaton to give un secure housing loans with out real
checks/balances to people that’s when our economy went south.
First of all I am not a republican or a conservative. I am an independent
and most fair minded economist agree.

[I]“When times were good, instead of putting money into a trust fund, lawmakers gave in to anti-tax fervor and refused to raise taxes to build up a healthy trust fund,” said Ross Eisenbrey, vice president of the Economic Policy Institute. “Now, as payrolls decline and tax revenue declines, there is less money going into funds that were already running low.”[/I]

Not sure who to blame…Suggestions welcome and keep it clean…:wink:
Remember the 6 P’s…
Read it here…http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/08/jobless.claims/