U.S. group wants Canada blacklisted over piracy

vbimport

WASHINGTON — A powerful coalition of U.S. software, movie and music producers is urging the Bush administration to put Canada on an infamous blacklist of intellectual property villains, alongside China, Russia and Belize.

Story: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070214.wblacklist14/BNStory/National/home

Might as well put us on the terrorist list as well. :slight_smile:

:cool: :cool:

^^^^^^^^^ NO kidding what are they gonna do next enforce a trade embargo?.. I wish then they couldn’t take Canada for all it’s resources.
I’ll just name a few, let’s see now… I know! OIL, BEER,HARD/SOFT WOOD.

For those of you that don’t know MGD is brewed in Canada and then sold back at a hugely inflated price because of the “unique” :rolleyes: packaging.

What a joke. Screw the US - like they practice “free trade” anyway. (re: above post) I like how they make it sound like we’re behind the times. We’re actually ahead of the times, if you ask me. How is their draconian “big-brother” laws cutting-edge?

[edit] As far as resources go, wait’ll you see what they pull when water becomes more scarce…

Great find [B]platinumsword[/B] Keep up the good work :iagree: your posting are always a good read and very interesting.

lol I can already see it “A powerful coalition of U.S. software, movie and music producers will be urging the Bush administration to put Canada on an infamous blacklist of Axis of evil” :slight_smile:
I wonder if Bush still thinks Canada is some were in the Middle East .

That son of a bush. I still don’t know how he got re-elected with all the people i talk to that hate him.

Why can’t people turn all of there time on silly stuff and focus on the BIG ISSUE the States have currently, like all the illegal aliens… something that effects everyone and not just the few…

“A powerful coalition of U.S. software, movie and music producers”

Who?

“Canada remains far behind virtually all of its peers in the industrialized world”

In many ways. :iagree: :bigsmile: :iagree:

[I]Blame Canada…[/I]

Canada should be added to the axis of evil because true democracies (with fair use (!) rights) do not deserve to exist, at least the bribed bigwigs think that. That’s what it looks like. :Z

[B]Keep up the good work, Canada![/B]

Who’s blaming Canada for what? Canada is a nice place.

Screw you homes.

Like Canada doesn’t get a sh!t load on U.S. made goods and resources…please. Canada gets the best end of the trade stick, so don’t even go there dude.

Man, don’t you have some illegal files you download?

That was nice of Miller the give Canada some jobs. :slight_smile:

So what’s your point? MGD is brewed in Canada…so what.

“Canada’s exports to its top trading partner, the United States, grew to a record annual high of $458.17 billion.”

“TORONTO – Canada’s trade surplus widened more than expected in December to $4.98 billion (US$4.24 billion)”

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=1ce4725f-a2d1-45c5-8538-eecc273c2bcf&k=68975

:rolleyes: …and people in Canada complain. LOL

What a joke… these guys won’t be happy until everyone in the world is subject to the same miserable laws as the U.S. Personally, I hope we never back down… like we do all that often anyway, lol. Their attempts to paint Canada as some kind of renegade country where copyright pirates sail the great lakes mass-producing mod chips and distributing illegal DVDs to the innocent children of America comes off as amusing more than anything else… and none of it actually sounds bad.

If people don’t like U.S. anti-piracy laws, then stop buying and/or stealing the U.S. stuff…It’s that simple.

Buy and/or steal sh!t from other countries instead. Lots of nations produce good works…you people act like the U.S. is the only place that makes music or movies.

lol There is nothing left to buy/ steal from other countries! The US has already taken it or stole it. :slight_smile:

LOL! Your full of BS…LOL.

What exactly do you allege the U.S. stole from your country? :slight_smile:

Victor Borge, Gitte Nielsen (Stallone), Connie Nielsen, Viggo Mortensen & Danish pastry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay…LOL…I’ll plead no contest on the pastries. :o

What else… :bigsmile:

BTW…We want a few items back also…light bulbs, Internet, bulldozers, traffic lights, hair dryers, etc… :bigsmile:

(with apologies to Merryl Streep)

“The U.S. stole my baby!” :bigsmile:

(If the reference is too cryptic…do you remember this movie line:
“The dingo stole my baby!” :rolleyes: :iagree: :bigsmile:

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me
We bootleg, we copy, we smuggle, and mod
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
We spit in the face of the D-M-C-A
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me
We infringe, we borrow, we rip, and burn
Peer-to-peer is our haven, in fact

@Hyperspace

"A powerful coalition of U.S. software, movie and music producers"
Who?

International Intellectual Property Alliance Group ( IIPA) - The MPAA,RIAA,BSA and ESA.

"Canada remains far behind virtually all of its peers in the industrialized world"
In many ways. :iagree: :bigsmile: :iagree:

The U.S. approach is quite clearly one of “do what I say, not what I do”, advising country after country that it does not meet international TPM standards (perhaps it is the U.S. that is not meeting emerging international standards), and criticizing national attempts to improve education or culture through exceptions or funding programs. Moreover, it is very clear that the U.S. lobby groups are never satisfied as even those countries that have ratified the WIPO treaties or entered into detailed free trade agreements with the U.S. that include IP provisions still find themselves criticized for not doing enough.

If you want to point fingers then you better slam some of these countries as well. These are just a few.

Japan is criticized for a wide range of issues including the absence of statutory damages, copyright term extension, stronger TPM protection, narrowing private use exceptions, and the establishment of camcording legislation.

Sweden receives special mention for widespread Internet piracy and being host to thePirateBay.org

New Zealand is criticized for its copyright reform bill, which, much like Canada’s Bill C-60, adopts a more balanced approach to TPMs. For its effort, the government is also incorrectly told that the proposal “fall far short of meeting international minimum standards.” Moreover, the bill’s time shifting provisions are criticized, despite the fact that the U.S. has far more liberal fair use provisions.

Switzerland is criticized for its TPM approach, which apparently does not meet the standard in the EUCD or the DMCA, along with a broad private copying provision and the need for camcording legislation.

South Africa is criticized for failing to sign the WIPO Internet treaties.

Hong Kong is criticized for its approach on TPMs and for proposing new exceptions for educational purposes. It is also urged to extend the term of copyright.

South Korea is criticized for its TPM approach, education exceptions, its private copying system, and for failing to extend the term of copyright.

Israel is criticized for failing to implement TPM legislation and for considering a fair use provision that mirrors the U.S. approach (the IIPA claims this might be viewed by the public as a “free ticket to copy.”)

Mexico is criticized for its TPM approach and for the absence of an ISP notice and takedown system.

Italy is criticized for doubt about its TPM approach and for failing to establish an ISP notice and takedown system.

Brazil is criticized for failing to ratify the WIPO Internet treaties and for granting exceptions to university students.

Greece is criticized for making it difficult to obtain the personal identities of ISP subscribers and for levying a surcharge at movie theatres that are used to support Greek films.

Spain is criticized for failing to place sufficient liability on ISPs for activity on their networks.

You’re the one starting a type of finger pointing by opening a U.S. bashing thread with your “Might as well put us on the terrorist list as well” commentary. So fu*ck’in A your going to get some “commentary” back.

I gave you the solution to your problem: [B]If you or anyone else doesn’t like U.S. anti-piracy laws (or just the U.S. in general) STOP USING U.S. GOODS. Problem solved.[/B]

U.S. lobbyists have freedom of speech just like any U.S. citizen. If they believe in something, be it good or bad, they should be able to petition the government. We are not going to restrict those freedoms just to make it easier for people to get music/movies welfare. They are non-governmental. People lobby for everything under the sun.

The International Intellectual Property Alliance Group ( IIPA) is also non-governmental. I personaly believe they are greedy and heavy handed, but at the same time I understand a business/industry wanting to protect its assets from thieft and misuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Intellectual_Property_Alliance

First off, sources would be nice. Second, I don’t care about what countries someone in the U.S. may or may not have criticized. Most all countries criticize others all the time…for political, economical, religious, etc. reasons. Talk on that level is cheap and in most cases meaningless.

[B]One more time: If you or anyone else doesn’t like U.S. anti-piracy laws (or just the U.S. in general) STOP USING U.S. GOODS. Problem solved.[/B]

I for one like the great nation of Canada and will continue to support my beautiful northern neighbor, but if you think for one minute I will not defend my country first and foremost (like anyone should their own) you would be greatly mistaken.

I’m done with this silly thread.