U.S. border agents allowed to forensically search electronic devices without any suspicion

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/u-s-border-agents-allowed-to-forensically-search-electronic-devices-without-any-suspicion-84404/

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit has ruled that American border agents are allowed to forensically search, travelers’ electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops without any suspicion of wrongdoing.

Remember the US Constitution is for everyone not just US Citizen. If it says so someone point me to where exactly does the US Constitution says it’s for only US Citizen in each part they want to point out in the Constitution. If so we as US Citizen have the right to execute Citizen arrest of BP whom violates the law Right.

I haven’t reviewed the decision myself (because I wouldn’t understand it anyway), but the 4th amendment of the US constitution protect “the people” from search and seizure. I don’t really know how the courts have interpreted “the people”, although interpreting that phrase as “the American people” make sense to me.

Still, I hope that this warrantless search comes to a stop sooner rather than later. However, given what the US president’s insistence on nominating the most unqualified court judges, and congress’s tendency to rubberstamp those same people, I don’t think we can depend on the court system to preserve even the most basic of human rights. Maybe if enough democrats get elected during the midterms and the 2020 elections, some progress can be made on restoring freedom to those who travel.